Creative Competition Meeting Room

Shottie

Wait... whaaaaa?
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Hey guys,
we're trying to get the photo competition together and we're trying to make it as unique as possible (we could use current rules we have for art and gfx but this could be a chance to elevate how we judge these events as well and not just by popularity).

One of the ideas that has been put out there is that we would need a judging criteria, and it would need to be something that works with every theme and easy to follow for those who are not as artistic.

So, the 1st question we have is: what are somethings that the judges should look at when judging a photo, art, gfx?

GTR

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Some Things off the top of my head. Does it follow rule of thirds. Is there a clear subject that is in focus/ framed. Does the overall composition support the focus. Is the composition interesting.

Shion

Lost Soul
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Hello everyone. I'm tagging you all here to know your opinions on this matter so we can start a photography contest!

Bear in mind that the suggestions discussed here are also valid for other contests such as art contests and gfx contests.

The suggestion brought up was that of a Jury System. One that would allow people to judge entries, discuss and agree on a winner/winners and give everyone a feedback for their entries.
But!!! Here are some points that needs to be discussed and we want you, the participants (or possible ones), to give us your feedback and opinions to make everything as fair and equal as possible.

1) The Jury System will be composed of a X number of people (no set amount yet, this is still being discussed)​
2) A winner of an edition can be a judge of the next edition.​
2.1) However, that same winner cannot win in the next edition even if they participate.​
3) The Jury System will be rotative, which means the a judge cannot judge in two editions in a row. Meaning we would look out for others to judge in place.​

@Waindo @Akiyousei @Ninety Eyes @tangerine @stala_dynar @Beky @Shottie @Larsi @Amaterasu @Gambit @Zemmi @Adimas @Dragomir @Ali @Gintoki @JioFreed @riofriz @Chaud @Cam @ewhee~ @Naomi

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Hello everyone. I'm tagging you all here to know your opinions on this matter so we can start a photography contest!

Bear in mind that the suggestions discussed here are also valid for other contests such as art contests and gfx contests.

The suggestion brought up was that of a Jury System. One that would allow people to judge entries, discuss and agree on a winner/winners and give everyone a feedback for their entries.
But!!! Here are some points that needs to be discussed and we want you, the participants (or possible ones), to give us your feedback and opinions to make everything as fair and equal as possible.

1) The Jury System will be composed of a X number of people (no set amount yet, this is still being discussed)​
2) A winner of an edition can be a judge of the next edition.​
2.1) However, that same winner cannot win in the next edition even if they participate.​
3) The Jury System will be rotative, which means the a judge cannot judge in two editions in a row. Meaning we would look out for others to judge in place.​

@Waindo @Akiyousei @Ninety Eyes @tangerine @stala_dynar @Beky @Shottie @Larsi @Amaterasu @Gambit @Zemmi @Adimas @Dragomir @Ali @Gintoki @JioFreed @riofriz @Chaud @Cam @ewhee~ @Naomi
Aawww I like taking pictures, but I understand nothing about photography~ but I'd like to try, it seems fun ٩(๑´3`๑)۶
[automerge]1565307031[/automerge]
So, the 1st question we have is: what are somethings that the judges should look at when judging a photo, art, gfx?
whether it's cute or not?

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I like it. I always thought just a Plurality vote of deciding who wins in contests was old and boring so this way spices it up. Let's give it a go!!! :pepemusic:
[automerge]1565307571[/automerge]
Hey guys,
we're trying to get the photo competition together and we're trying to make it as unique as possible (we could use current rules we have for art and gfx but this could be a chance to elevate how we judge these events as well and not just by popularity).

One of the ideas that has been put out there is that we would need a judging criteria, and it would need to be something that works with every theme and easy to follow for those who are not as artistic.

It's beauty. How eye-catching it is. It should draw you in. The art should be charismatic imo.

Shottie

Wait... whaaaaa?
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Rate it from 1-10?
Duh Drago we would use 1-10 but how do you decided the beauty of a picture when there are different kinds of beauty. Is it's beautiful because it's in black and white? Or because it has lots of colors?
That's what we're asking for you to explain, how would you judge and make it easier to apply numbers to it.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Duh Drago we would use 1-10 but how do you decided the beauty of a picture when there are different kinds of beauty. Is it's beautiful because it's in black and white? Or because it has lots of colors?
That's what we're asking for you to explain, how would you judge and make it easier to apply numbers to it.
Does it catch your eye? Does it make you go wow? If it makes you react tge same you see a hot guy or girl, it's beautiful. Doesn't really matter what type of art it is as long as it makes you go the 3 above.

I don't think you need to be super specific about it and whaddya mean by apply numbers to it?

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Ne I think we should give point 1-10 according how that artwork moves our heart, or something like that (you can make a proper judgement if you happen to be Simon Cowell), do as you like. We don't actually need a standard for each judges, that's why we need several judges. That will work alright as long as we don't play favorite towards certain member, and that can be easily avoided.
[automerge]1565323009[/automerge]
Ne I think we should give point 1-10 according how that artwork moves our heart, or something like that (you can make a proper judgement if you happen to be Simon Cowell), do as you like. We don't actually need a standard for each judges, that's why we need several judges. That will work alright as long as we don't play favorite towards certain member, and that can be easily avoided.
I mean I'm one of the people that think if your art has perfect technicques, but still can't get people to like it, then it's not perfect. I guess.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I think a photography contest will be themed, right? Some theme ideas:
  • Dark
  • Nature/Scenery
  • Streets
  • Light
  • Interior/Rooms
  • A specific color in focus
With that it will be easier to decide if you like something or not. In terms of the point with the jury... Why not just a poll option and let the members decide? Having a jury is a bit... Well. I don't really like it.

Also a point I want to ask: Will it be allowed to use Photoshop, Lightroom and other photo editing software to edit pictures? Those who have such software would be at a possible advantage. Or must the picture be uploaded as it was taken?

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
2.1) However, that same winner cannot win in the next edition even if they participate.
Personally I don't like that rule. I hosted in the past some signature of the month and other art contests and I feel that rule limits the submissions.
But we are talking about a lot smaller target audiance perhaps. The most submissions I got was like 7-8 :poop: If there are submissions enough, sure.

3) The Jury System will be rotative, which means the a judge cannot judge in two editions in a row. Meaning we would look out for others to judge in place.
A pool of judges is good, so it isn't dependable on the activity of a subforum.

Something small but always fun/honest is to put a complete amateur or someone who doesn't know a lot about the theoretical part of photo's / gfx / art in the Jury.

Shottie

Wait... whaaaaa?
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Also a point I want to ask: Will it be allowed to use Photoshop, Lightroom and other photo editing software to edit pictures? Those who have such software would be at a possible advantage. Or must the picture be uploaded as it was taken?
No, editing with that sort of software would not be allowed.
Only editing such as light balance would be allowed (ie making picture darker or lighter)
And if taken with a phone camera select filters from there. But color enhancing or altering would not be allowed since then it becomes GFX and not photography. (Instagram filters will not be allowed btw).
With phone filters you have to know settings and still is point and shoot, but it's not editing after the fact.... sorry I think I started rambling....

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Yeah different themes each month is a given, btw I like this concept though I would also be fine with the usual voting threads with subs.

Also TB proof should be visible on every click.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
In every competition, I always hated voting as it has to be paneled by a group of critics. Doesn't have to be an expert in photography but understands the concept and have a good eye. Above all, must convey the message the theme requires.

Shion

Lost Soul
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Aawww I like taking pictures, but I understand nothing about photography~ but I'd like to try, it seems fun ٩(๑´3`๑)۶
Not a problem. We're looking for everyone to join and have fun in those contest. You don't need to have previous experience with photography to join ?

We don't actually need a standard for each judges, that's why we need several judges. That will work alright as long as we don't play favorite towards certain member, and that can be easily avoided.
That's what we aim for this Jury suggestion, a single judge is a no no for us. We want a fair and stable ground for all participants.

I mean I'm one of the people that think if your art has perfect technicques, but still can't get people to like it, then it's not perfect. I guess.
Nothing is perfect to be honest, perfection is a subjective word and each individual has a perception of it. I'm not one that would look for perfection, but for what the contestant tried to show us through that picture.

Why not just a poll option and let the members decide?
That is an idea as well. For this one it would require people to submit the entry for the host and then the host would create a new thread with a voting poll for members to vote in the picture they liked the best.

Shottie explained beforehand that heavy treatment is a no. Also depending on the editing done by the contestant we will ask for the original picture as well.

Personally I don't like that rule. I hosted in the past some signature of the month and other art contests and I feel that rule limits the submissions.
But we are talking about a lot smaller target audiance perhaps. The most submissions I got was like 7-8 :poop: If there are submissions enough, sure.
That's why we're asking you guys, so everyone can have something they would be fine with and we all agree on a stable set of rules.

Reward the judges over time?
If the Jury system proceed, then yes. Each judge would receive a prize just like all the people participating.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
2.1) However, that same winner cannot win in the next edition even if they participat
I agree with most of the points u wanna consider however, how about we consider the previous winner to join and potentially win still. I am thinking that he still is entitled to win if the submission is stellar. It will give a vast avenue for the other participants to level up their style, creativity, and technicalities to surpass the former winners.

Ali

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I'm a photographer myself, although i've been rusty AF since i didn't have time with my camera as of late.
anyway, most of the photography contests i've been in concetrated on the following criteria:
  • How well the picture fits the theme.
  • How hard a position the photographer had to make to take that picture.
  • The timing of the picture.
  • Is there any Hidden messages or symbolsim.
  • The clarity of the picture and the quality.
  • What is the story that your picture is trying to convey?
  • colors, effects etc all are judjed based on the picture you have taken. for example, you would expect celebrations to be colorful and war scenes to be less colorful ... etc.

Top Bottom