One Piece Introduction to the Clair Senses

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Hello, Thriller Bark Forum

I was trying to think of some more posts to share. I actually have a lot of things to talk about. It's just there's so much I actually forget where to begin, sometimes. I will present one of the most fundamental ones, now. The psychic senses, otherwise known as the Clair Senses. It is important to know them for better understanding of characters like Basil Hawkins or other such ability users that deal with psychic senses. In fact, the entire use of Observation Haki is likely based on Heightened Senses.

The Clair Senses include the following:

1. Clairvoyance is a clear sense of vision, i.e., psychic sight.
2. Clairgustance is a clear sense of taste, i.e., being able to orally detect psychic information.
3. Clairsalience is a clear sense of smell, i.e., being able to nasally detect psychic information.
4. Clairaudience is a clear sense of hearing, i.e., being able to detect psychic information through the ears.
5. Claircognizance is a clear sense of knowing, i.e., psychic insight.
6. Clairsentience is a clear sense of feeling, i.e., being able to detect psychic information through your body.
7. Clairempathy is a clear sense of emotional feeling, i.e., being able to detect psychic information through your emotions.
8. Clairtangency is a clear sense of touch, i.e., being able to detect psychic information through your hands.

Basil Hawkins
- Basil Hawkins ability is primarily based on Clairtangency. The psychic sense of touch which allows him to detect psychic information through his hands.
- The gimmick about Hawkins ability is that he can touch anything and read the psychic information about it, but it doesn't work on living things. He can't read the fate of people, at least not directly. He does seem to be able to read the fate of people by making tarot readings and touching the cards to read the psychic information surrounding the card as it relates to a person, though.

Clairtangency comes from French clair meaning ‘clear’ and Latin Tangibilis meaning ‘that may be touched’, coming together to translate directly into ‘clear touch’. Clairtangency is the psychic ability to receive information through physically touching an object, person, animal, or place. This ability is also known as psychometry.

Psychometry (from Greek: ψυχή, psukhē, "spirit, soul" and μέτρον, metron, "measure"), also known as token-object reading, or psychoscopy, is a form of extrasensory perception characterized by the claimed ability to make relevant associations from an object of unknown history by making physical contact with that object.

Note to self: I almost forgot the term psychometry because it had been like a year or two since I actually discussed this subject before. However, it's interesting to note that psychometry means "Soul-Measure," and that Basil Hawkins is performing token-object readings while measuring the soul associated to the objects.

Note to self: Zoro is able to use a heightened sense to detect incoming attacks and has been for a long time.

Note to self: Sometimes, the writer or editor uses inconsistent wording. For example, I have noticed they use "hearing" to describe a perception, but in another version of the same dialogue it might read as "feeling" or "touching" and instead of "breathing" they might only speak of "air" as well as other situations where the words "voice" or "vibration" have been interchanged. When this occurs frequently, it is more difficult to determine what a person is actually doing in that scene. In this scene, it describes Zoro using a sense of "hearing" to maneuver away from the falling rocks as well as to find his sword.

There are many other situations where this occurs.... just at the top of my head -- Admiral Fujitora uses dice to gain insight about events in a day and he seems to use a heightened sense of sight to see people's Haki.

Last edited:
Top Bottom