Characters and Groups The Mimawarigumi

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
The Mimawarigumi

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎

The Mimawarigumi in One Piece have been described as being the personal bodyguards of Shogun Orochi. They have been seen acting as a sort of a police force in the Flower Capital. It has also been mentioned that each year the Mimawarigumi go along with Orochi's procession to Onigashima. This thread is everything you need to understand this cool group. I will discuss about the possible role, the abilities and the purpose of this group.

Before we start with anything, we first have to understand who exactly were the
Kyoto Mimawarigumi who Oda took inspiration from in creating his own version of the said group. So let's take a tiny history lesson, shall we?

Political instability, crime and punishment in late Tokugawa Japan

Late mid 19th century Tokugawa Japan marked the start of the Bakumatsu period which lasted from 1853 to 1867. Political unrest, coup attempts and turmoil spread throughout the Shogunate. Crime rates were steadily increasing and the situation was getting out of hand for the administration. This time ultimately saw the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate which also meant the end of the isolationist ideology. The Meiji period was thus started. But here I want to focus on Pre Meiji period, primarily the methods used by the Tokugawa Administration in curbing uprisings and maintaining law and order in Urban and Rural parts of the Shogunate.

Formation of the Kyoto Mimawarigumi
During the Bakumatsu period, the Mimawarigumi was formed as a force inorder to maintain law and order in the capital which was Kyoto. The Mimawarigumi acted both as a police force as well as security for the Shogun. You could say that the Mimawarigumi were quite similar to the Shinsengumi, with the main difference being that Mimawarigumi consisted of high ranking Hatomo class samurai of the Hoshina-Matsudaira clan while Shinsengumi consisted primarily of Ronins. Another difference between the two was that while the Mimawarigumi patrolled the urban centres such as the capital Kyoto, the Shinsengumi patrolled alot of rural areas of the Shogunate acting as police force in those areas. Coming back to the Mimawarigumi, as mentioned above they were a police force who were incharge of maintaining law and order in the capital (Kyoto). The size of this force was not that large as it was a special police force and numbered at around 200 to 250 samurais.

The most significant feat of this group was their role during the Hamaguri Gate Rebellion where they with the help of the forces of the shogunate managed to curb the rebel forces.

Communitarian consciousness, Social reform, Violence and the Mimawarigumi in Contemporary Kurozumi Shogunate Wano

The Mimawarigumi acts as the special police force of the flower capital. While the Oniwabanshu acts as the special intelligence arm of the Shogunate, the Mimawarigumi acts as the special military arm. In today's Wano, especially the Flower Capital, consciousness is on the rise. This has lead to crime and violence, alot of it directed towards the administration of the Shogunate. A proof of this is given in the start of the Wano arc when Zoro was falsely convicted for the crime of someone else. This is indeed very similar to the situation with the Tokugawa Shogunate during the Bakumatsu period. The Mimawarigumi must be playing a very impactful and important role in maintaining law and order in the seat of the country. The rise of consciousness has also lead to reform in the educational system in the country with students being taught from a pro - Kurozumi point of view. This has sure been working and helped in not only strengthening the legitimacy of the Shogunate but also the bond between the people and the Mimawarigumi. This is evident when people are seen with expressions of joy and hearts when witnessing the group pass by.

Wano's Military Capability: The Structure and Strength of the Mimawarigumi

The Mimawarigumi unlike the Oniwabanshu are primarily a fighting force. Similarly to the Mimawarigumi, the Oniwabanshu were also created under the Tokugawa Shoguns. While the Mimawarigumi were a fighting force the Oniwabanshu were acted as the intelligence force. I am putting this information forward because it's the justification for what the point I'm gonna bring up now which is that the similarity to Tokugawa Japan, the Mimawarigumi in Wano are also a much stronger force then the Oniwabanshu. Being the personal guard of the Shogun, the Mimawarigumi travel with him everywhere, similarly they have also travelled with him to Onigashima where they are currently. I am certain that the Mimawarigumi will play a sizable role in the Onigashima War with the leader of the group most likely taking on Denjiro aka Kyoshiro who also acting as a sort of security for the Shogun. This has been in my mind for long, and makes the most amount of sense for Denjiro's matchup.

Thankyou for reading! Hope this increased your interest on the Mimawarigumi. Will update this once more info comes out about the group. Until then peace!

Beky

Nancy <3
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
So they are like those policeman in Gintama?
I def forgot about these guys lol

Tbh i cant relly remember if Orochi had any notablw warriors by his side

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
So they are like those policeman in Gintama?
I def forgot about these guys lol

Tbh i cant relly remember if Orochi had any notablw warriors by his side
Yes indeed those in Gintama were also the Mimawarigumi. Well the group has currently gotten only a single page in OP so hopefully we see them fight in Onigashima.

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Wow great research and background info fam! Keep up!

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Pure speculation cuz that's how I do, but my initial guess for now is that all of them are based off famous historical figures and warriors:

- the leader is a traitorous Shimotsuki related to Ushimaru, the Yoritomo to the latter's Minamoto no Yoshitsune

- Usagi Yojimbo over there is Oda's humorous play on Uesugi Kenshin aka Nagao Kagetora; just fudge with the name to get Usagi Kenshin ( usagi --> Japnese for rabbit ). Rumored to be a woman, hence the mask to cover up his gender or some goofy face, some gag along those lines.

- Big dude is maybe based on famed Zen Buddhist monk Takuan, who shares his name with a daikon radish dish he's credited with inventing, ie right up Oda's alley with the whole food theme going on. Vagabond fans may recognize the name.

- Mimawarigumi members tended to come from elite noble samurai families, so one or more of these guys could be defectors from the big families of Wano, e.g. Bunny Person may be an Amatsuki, what with the obligatory lunar rabbit connections. We barely know anything about some these families, so a bunch of traitorous members working for Orochi would present the perfect occasion for dumping some exposition shedding light on the Fuugetsu and co.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Pure speculation cuz that's how I do, but my initial guess for now is that all of them are based off famous historical figures and warriors:

- the leader is a traitorous Shimotsuki related to Ushimaru, the Yoritomo to the latter's Minamoto no Yoshitsune

- Usagi Yojimbo over there is Oda's humorous play on Uesugi Kenshin aka Nagao Kagetora; just fudge with the name to get Usagi Kenshin ( usagi --> Japnese for rabbit ). Rumored to be a woman, hence the mask to cover up his gender or some goofy face, some gag along those lines.

- Big dude is maybe based on famed Zen Buddhist monk Takuan, who shares his name with a daikon radish dish he's credited with inventing, ie right up Oda's alley with the whole food theme going on. Vagabond fans may recognize the name.

- Mimawarigumi members tended to come from elite noble samurai families, so one or more of these guys could be defectors from the big families of Wano, e.g. Bunny Person may be an Amatsuki, what with the obligatory lunar rabbit connections. We barely know anything about some these families, so a bunch of traitorous members working for Orochi would present the perfect occasion for dumping some exposition shedding light on the Fuugetsu and co.
That's a very interesting way to look at it! Great understanding

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Interesting post and thoughts. Haven't really thought about them so pretty cool stuff :blobcoolthink

Top Bottom