One Piece Dragon's true identity | Monkey D. Family tree part 1

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
My theory about Dragon is little bit different from all the theories that you've read about him, so, in order to understand the idea behind it we must understand how an organisation like "Revolutionary" army operates.

The core of Revolution
"Revolution" is a movement against the established authority, that means that you are fighting against something that has an overwhelming power and influence and that "the established authority" will try to take you down by any means necessary. The key factor for success in a Revolutionary movement is to be undetected, in a head to head situation any Revolution will be crashed/stopped by "the established authority" before it even begins.

If we look at the DF users in the Revolutionary army we can see that they have a specific DF powers for their goals, for example:

1. Morley has the power to create underground hiden bases for the Revolutionary army, in that way they can gather together in their headquarter without being detected and on top of that they will always have a way to escape through underground tunnels thanks that power. How useful is that?

2. Belo Betty has the power to encourage/motivate people to fight back and on top of that she can make them physically stronger, she was specifically mentioned to be very important for the Revolutionary army. I bet this is how they were able to free some countries from the WG...

3. Karasu has the power to privately communicate with the members of the Revolutionary army... the communication is very, very, very importan in order to be able to operate all over the world and Karasu has the power to guarantee a safe and private communication to all members of the Revolutionary army.

The ability to change your identity
But one ability that I wanna talk about in depth is Ivankov's ability to change a gender. Unfortunately, Ivankov's ability has been overlooked by many people due to Ivankov's comedic based character, as mater of fact Ivankov's DF is probably the most important ability that Revolutionary army has. Thanks to that ability the Revolutionary army was able to survive so long and became even more powerful throughout the years, so let's analyze it.

The Revolutionary army is composed of people who experienced the cruelty and injustice of the WG, people who have been labeled by the WG as "criminals", "pirates" or even "slaves" etc. Some of those people are running form their past and trying to start a new life, people who have no where to go. Those people are always on the run since WG has presence all over the world and WG agencies such as CP0-9, Marians or Private contractors like other pairets, slave hunters, will hunt them down for money. The only way for those people to survive especially "ex-slaves" who have a large bounty on their heads is to despair from this world, or to change their identity... and here's where Ivankov comes in.

Ivankov's ability is not just able to change someone's gender but also their identity, if you're a criminal on the run with a bounty on your head you have a chance to change your look and free yourself, you have the chance to become a new person free from obligations and your past, you have the chance to start your life from a clean page.

The man with no past
The head of the Revolutionary army is a complete mystery, no one knows who he is (at least before the war in Mareanford where Sengoku revealed that Dragon is Luffy's father) where he comes from or his past, he's a ghost of justice. But what makes it so strange is that Dragon is the only child of Marian heroe Garp himself... how could the world not be aware of about such a high profile man's child? Garp is one of the most well known and famous people in one piece world, everybody has heard about him and his achievements, but how in the world they didn't know about his child? How in the world they don't know about his past? This doesn't make sense.

What is even more strange, is that even the closest Marians who are always around Garp didn't know that Garp has a child, or did they?
What if Garp had a child but she died... yes, I said she. What if Dragon is not Luffy's father but actually Luffy's mother who changed her identity through Ivankov's ability in order to hide her true identity? What if she staged her death and the World thinks that Garp's only daughter died?

The mistorye behind Luffy's mother
985 chapters in and we have zero information about Luffy's mother, because of that, some people even think that she's irrelevant and hence Oda will not introduce her in the story, with which I absolutely disagree. Luffy's parents are essential to the story and there's no way that we will never see or find out Luffy's mother's identity, but on the other side there's only few arcs left and it's hard to believe that Luffy's mother will appear out of nowhere in those arcs, unless Oda already introduced her in the story.

In SBS vol. 44 Oda said that he will introduce Luffy's parents "in plural" form so maybe he indeed meant both Luffy's father and mother since Dragon is thecniquely both at the same time... but Japanese is a tough language to translate so, take it as you want.

So now, you probably wanna ask... why does Garp call Dragon his son and Luffy's father? Well, for the same reason why Kaido calls his daughter son instead of daughter.

This is one of the reasons why I didn't make this theory earlier since the community wasn't ready for it, but now, when even someone like Kaido calls his daughter as his son I think the community is ready for it.
In one piece world people are very tolerant to each other, I mean the king of the beasts is tolerant to a gender change then why wouldn't Garp be, right? Also, Garp wouldn't reveal Dragon's true identity in front of everyone since that would compromise the entire Revolutionary army, on top of that Luffy finding out that his father is actually his mother would be quite shocking to him, if there's someone to tell him about that then it should be Dragon himself.

Luffy's father
Another reason why I didn't make this theory earlier is because of timeline... the timeline didn't make sense since there's only one character that can possibly be Luffy's father if Dragon is actually Luffy's mother, I'm talking about Roger. Yes, I know, I know... it sounds like cliche I get it, but I mean think about it, people were thinking the same thing about Luffy being the chosen one, and yes it is cliche, but one piece was never about being revolutionary in storytelling or have a modern approach to it. One piece is a classical hero story for an audience of 12+ years old young boys, it was never intended to be a story for adult people. Since so many people have reached their adulthood while watching one piece it's some times easy to forget that one piece is not for adults, I mean you can watch it of course, I'm watching it/reading in my early 20s (I'm 22 btw) and I know people who are reading one piece in their 30s, 40s etc. But you shouldn't hold one piece in high regards when it comes to storytelling, I mean don't get me wrong one piece has a great plot but it's not Game of Thrones (I'm talking about books) and was never intended to be, and even in Game of Thrones the plot is still about people who have royal blood etc. So don't think that Luffy being Roger's son makes story worse or less interesting.

The timeline
The problem was, that Luffy was born 19/20 years ago while Roger died 25 years ago. While we already have an example of Ace's Mather somehow holding the pregnancy for 2 years it still didn't make sense, Oda already used that plot when it comes to Ace so he wouldn't use it with Luffy, also there's a Big difference between 2 and 5 years especially when Ace's Mather eventually died after giving birth to Ace. So the theory stuck for time being until further development, but then, Oda introduced a time traveling DF user who also traveled with Roger for some time.

Lady Toki had the Time Time fruit, thanks to that she can travel into the future and send others too. What if Dragon who is 55 years old as of right now met Roger 30+ years ago when she was 25+ years old, she got pregnant and Roger who knew that the WG would try to kill his child tolled lady Toki to send Dragon into the future when he's dead, hence no one would ever suspect Luffy being Roger's son since he was born after Roger's death.
Now, at this point you're probably thinking that, why would Roger make children from different partners? Well, Roger is a pirate after all, pairets were never known for their loyalty. Also, Roger wanted to make children before his death, as mater of fact Roger says to Rayleigh that "his going to have one", which can mean that Dragon was already pregnant at that time.

While, this is only a fan art it still gives us an understanding of how she would look like as a female, as mater of fact she looks just like Oda described her. In one his interviews Oda described Luffy's mother as "middle aged, thugh looking, strict, with permed hair". Dragon actually has permed hair, weird right?

Why Roger?
If Dragon is actually Luffy's mother then his father is for sure Roger, I mean it's gotta be him.
They look like the same.

They act similarly,
They have the same personality.

Some people say that it's because Luffy is Roger's reincarnation but if Luffy is reincarnation of someone (even though I don't think that reincarnation is a thing in one piece) then it's probably JoyBoy and not Roger.

One thing that never made sense to me is that Roger Pirates didn't do anything to protect Ace. You could say that they didn't know but that's not true, Sengoku revealed Ace's true identity during the war and Rayleigh was watching it on live broadcast, and he could easily reach to Marinford in few minutes since he was so close to it, also we Know that Ace met Shanks before and I'm pretty sure Shanks knew Ace's true identity.
Another interesting thing, is that if you look at where and when we met Roger pirates you would realize that they are placed strategically to sport Luffy in his journey:
1. Shanks was the first one, he came to the village where Luffy was living to chack him and inspire to go out to the sea.

2. Crocus was the second one, he was exactly in the entrance to the grand line where he not just give them an important information about grand line, but also provided them with a log pose that strowhats didn't have. At first glance it seems like it was an absolute coincidence that Crocus was there, but was it? And his comment about Luffy is quite suspicious to say the least.

3. The third one is Rayleigh who was exactly at the end of the Grand line where he again, give them an important information about the world, past, Roger's Death, Ancient kingdom, One Piece etc. And he was the one who came up with the idea of the time skip, he was the one who proposed Luffy to train for the new World. I mean, is it coincidence that the right hand man of the Pairet king himself is located in a very strategic place? Is it coincidence that he was the right choice to train Luffy? Is it coincidence that Rayleigh was waiting for Luffy?

4. Shanks again is waiting in the new World for Luffy where he can give him the last peace of information and the whole truth, and could it be that Scopper Gaban is waiting for Luffy in the last island of the Grand line "laugh Tale" or in "Roadster Island"?

There's a saying in Russian speaking countries "that if samthing happened twice then it's a coincidence, but if samthing happens the third time, then it's a rule" while there's no way to know for sure, but I don't think that coincidences can be so repetitive.

Was Roger right?
It was quite suprising for me that Roger expected his son to find Laugh Tale, especially considering the fact that Roger knew the truth about the D, Ancient kingdom, Void Century etc. How could Roger be so wrong? But what if he wasn't, what if he was right.

This is not my idea and I gotta say that I'm not a big fan of JoyBoy's theories, but this idea comes from him so I should give credit to him at least for that.
So, the idea is that Roger knew or he found out during his journey in the grand line that he's the direct and only descended of JoyBoy himself, after realizing that he's going to die he decided to make sure that his blood line will survive by making multiple children from different women. While I disagree with JoyBoy about multiple children but I wouldn't be surprised if that Roger had two sons, especially since Luffy and Ace are so similar to each other almost like biological brothers.

What is the chances of Luffy and Ace being so similar to each other and having no blood relationship? I don't think that there's a lot.

This is only part one and I will continue it with part 2 or maybe 3. So, what you think guys, do you think it's possible?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
What a funny conspiracy theory.

I also started to rethink about Dragons origins, but my idea was slightly different.

For me there are 2 big questions:
  1. Why does noonedl know about Dragon? (Even so he is Garps son)
  2. Why does Roger trust Garp so much? (Nevertheless they were still enemies)
Both can be easily answered with a small assumption "Dragon is the Son of Xebec".
This would result in:
  1. Dragons identity kept hidden same reasone why Aces identity kept hidden.
  2. Roger knew he could trust Garp, because he knew Garp also took Care about Xebecs son.
Problem with this theory Dragon was 17 years old when Xebec was defeated.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
This theory is very interesting but I still think if Monkey D. Dragon is a real son of Monkey D. Garp, and Dragon is Luffy's biological father.

Oda use so much mythology in OP stories. I talk about this on OJ long time ago since before WCI arc.

And this Monkey D Family is based on the story of three Monkey who is the servant of Gods.

And then. Luffy is based on Hanuman n Monkey King's stories, Dragon as Luffy's father based on hanuman's father story (god of vayu / wind god), and his mother is a celestial being.

So, If oda also use this mythology then Luffy mother is or was one of celestial dragon.

You can read hanuman and monkey king story and then you will find so many similar story used by Oda on OP.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Interesting theory and I love how it was presented albeit at the end of the day, I agree with what jango said about oda'z inspiration about Luffy and Dragon and how it connects directly to the wind. But using both Toki and Ivankov could still factor in based on what you said.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
This theory is very interesting but I still think if Monkey D. Dragon is a real son of Monkey D. Garp, and Dragon is Luffy's biological father.

Oda use so much mythology in OP stories. I talk about this on OJ long time ago since before WCI arc.

And this Monkey D Family is based on the story of three Monkey who is the servant of Gods.

And then. Luffy is based on Hanuman n Monkey King's stories, Dragon as Luffy's father based on hanuman's father story (god of vayu / wind god), and his mother is a celestial being.

So, If oda also use this mythology then Luffy mother is or was one of celestial dragon.

You can read hanuman and monkey king story and then you will find so many similar story used by Oda on OP.
I've read both about Monkey king and Hanuman, and that will be the foundation of my "Luffy vs Kaido vs Fujitora" theory (if I ever make it) since there's so much mythological connections between them.

Scene from Monky King Movie.
Watch till the end...

Roger also has a strong connection to whether, and God of wind just Like Luffy and Dragon

Both Roger and Luffy don't want to rule or conquer anything which is another connection to God of wind, Wind=freedom.

Some people even think that Roger had a whether related DF which Dragon ate after Roger's death and Dragon is the second most wanted man after Roger.

There's another connection between Luffy and Roger that I didn't want to show it here since it's from my another theory, so it'll be spoiler for you guys.

I'll go into details about Luffy's demonic powers theory which is based on similar Japanese theory.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Nice thoughts
But i don't believe Dragon was a Woman, Ivankov himself didn't know about Dragon's Family
He was portrayed as someone Mysterious to even his Revo Army & Top Generals
But even so, Dragon didn't mind his Identity being exposed at all, he didn't care that they know his Son & Father, he didn't mind losing Baltigo nor one of his Commanders being Imprisoned and he definitely don't mind showing up in front of Marines & Public + His Picture was around for years & all Kingdoms know about him

This is why i don't think such a Man would go as far as changing his Gender for the sake of Secrecy because he definitely isn't afraid of being known, i mean remember how Robin described Revos Army & Dragon? She clearly said that contrary to Pirates who act against WG wishes, Dragon oppose them directly & doesn't mind being the Most Wanted

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
But i don't believe Dragon was a Woman, Ivankov himself didn't know about Dragon's Family
Good point mate, but as far as I can remember (I can be wrong so you can correct me on this one) Ivankov was surprised finding out that Dragon has a child, but ather then that I don't remember anything pointing out that Ivankov doesn't know Dragon's true identity, she doesn't know Dragon's past and that's for sure but I think she knows who Dragon is.

But even so, Dragon didn't mind his Identity being exposed at all, he didn't care that they know his Son & Father, he didn't mind losing Baltigo nor one of his Commanders being Imprisoned and he definitely don't mind showing up in front of Marines & Public + His Picture was around for years & all Kingdoms know about him

This is why i don't think such a Man would go as far as changing his Gender for the sake of Secrecy because he definitely isn't afraid of being known, i mean remember how Robin described Revos Army & Dragon? She clearly said that contrary to Pirates who act against WG wishes, Dragon oppose them directly & doesn't mind being the Most Wanted
Well, his face doesn't matter when no one knows who he is, the RA bases aren't important to them that much since they can easily create another one, the Revaluation army should always be on the move.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Well, his face doesn't matter when no one knows who he is, the RA bases aren't important to them that much since they can easily create another one, the Revaluation army should always be on the move.
Exactly, he is Most Wanted Man & fighting against WG, why would his Identity matter?
His Goal isn't Secret, it's world known so he doesn't need a Secret Identity at all

Characters who need to hide their Identities are like Im-Sama, Cipher-Pol, Spies like Kanjuro & Drake ... etc
Dragon simply doesn't need to hide his Identity at all
If people didn't know he is Son of Garp, i would have found your Theory more acceptable since it means Dragon Secret Identity is to hide his Ties to Garp & WG in general, but we know that's not the case
Everybody knows he is Garp's Child so whether he is Male or Not, his name is Dragon or Elizabeth, it won't change anything
Good point mate, but as far as I can remember (I can be wrong so you can correct me on this one) Ivankov was surprised finding out that Dragon has a child, but ather then that I don't remember anything pointing out that Ivankov doesn't know Dragon's true identity, she doesn't know Dragon's past and that's for sure but I think she knows who Dragon is.

It's true there is no Panel that confirms Ivankov is unaware of Dragon's Identity, but we do know that Ivankov didn't know about Dragon's Past, his Family & also Kuma's Mission, so it's far-fetched to say that Ivankov knows Dragon's True Identity but doesn't know his Family, Birthplace, Past, Secret Plans .... etc Anyway this is just my opinion

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
You mean these 3 Monkeys 🙈🙉🙊?
That's right man. I wrote about this on OJ long time ago. I even talk about how luffy will go out from WCI based on hanuman stories and then it's happened.
[automerge]1595435107[/automerge]
I've read both about Monkey king and Hanuman, and that will be the foundation of my "Luffy vs Kaido vs Fujitora" theory (if I ever make it) since there's so much mythological connections between them.

Scene from Monky King Movie.
Watch till the end...

Roger also has a strong connection to whether, and God of wind just Like Luffy and Dragon

Both Roger and Luffy don't want to rule or conquer anything which is another connection to God of wind, Wind=freedom.

Some people even think that Roger had a whether related DF which Dragon ate after Roger's death and Dragon is the second most wanted man after Roger.

There's another connection between Luffy and Roger that I didn't want to show it here since it's from my another theory, so it'll be spoiler for you guys.

I'll go into details about Luffy's demonic powers theory which is based on similar Japanese theory.
I still think if Roger and most of his crew not DF users.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Old theory but i think dragon is truly garps son .

Your assumption is marines didnt know about him makes no sense. Its possible he was raised in restricted social environment .

Top Bottom