Current Events Oden's logbook: its role and significance

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Chapter 962 just revealed that Oden had a logbook that he recorded in his travels, something of which he treated as a diary, and - given that Oda rarely shows something without purpose - I believe this logbook serves a big role and significance in this arc...

It also seems likely that Oden - given that he was part of Gol Roger's crew - may have also recorded and penned his experiences with the Roger Pirates in the journey to Raftel. In other words, Oden's logbook could in fact, be a map to Raftel, and I strongly suspect this is what Kaido is looking for, which is why he remained in Wano in these past 20 years...​

Just to refresh our memory, Kaido invaded Wano and killed Oden, allowing him to assume rule of Wano and allow Orochi to become Shogun for 20 years. The question is, why did Kaido invade Wano? And the answer is simple.. each generation of the Kozuki family - with the exception of Momonosuke - could understand the languages detailed in the Poneglyphs.

And so if Kaido managed to force Oden to become his own personal translator, he would be one step of the competition, and I believe this was Kaido's original plan, as he already had a road poneglyph, but for obvious reasons, this plan never worked. So the question remains - given that Oden died and no-one knew Momo was still alive in these past 20 years, Kaido still remained in Wano. Why is that??

I believe it's because Kaido somehow, had information that Oden had a logbook, and if Kaido had such an item in his possession, he will be miles ahead of the competition and actually get to Raftel - a shortcut - without ever needing the other poneglyphs. This is also a subtle reminder of Baratie, where Don Krieg wanted Zeff's log in order to safely traverse the grand line.​

Other than this item being a map of Raftel, it could also highlight Oden's experiences when he was part of the Whitebeard Pirates... it could perhaps even contain other info, such as how Roger was able to get him into his crew, or even more.. additional information of the D people, which has still continued to remain a mystery in OP for 900 chapters now.

The next question I'll address is this: Assuming Kaido has been trying to get this diary/logbook for 20 years and still never managed to obtain it, where is this logbook now? Who has it? How has it remained hidden for all these 20 years? The answer I'm willing to bet on, is that Orochi had Oden's logbook all along.. but never gave it to Kaido, because of these reasons:

1. He knows he will be untouchable if Kaido is there to protect him.... Without Kaido backing him, his reign as Shogun would've been over as soon as it started... If Orochi could keep Kaido in Wano to protect him as he did 20 years? No-one could touch him.​

2. Given Orochi's sly and cunning personality (which was really highlighted in chapter 962), it makes a lot of sense for him to actually hide such an item from Kaido, for his own selfish benefit.​

The question pertains: How did Kaido know of such a logbook? I'm willing to believe Orochi betrayed Oden by informing Kaido of a logbook Oden recorded in his travels. This could be the reason Kaido boiled Oden as a torture method in order for him to spill the beans to where it is.

This is just my two cents, but..
What do you guys think about this?

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I also believe that Orochi owns the logbook and uses it to spread his own false imagine of himself.
Maybe there is something written in the logbook neither Kaido nor Orochi can translate. Some anvient poneglyph hieroglyphes.

Imho a very interesting plot device.
Else you made some good point. I like it!

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I could see the Strawhats getting their hands on it and having to retrace Oden's steps, so to speak. Maybe their imprints of the poneglyphs or the poneglyphs themselves'll get swiped/destroyed by Blackbeard, obligating Luffy and and Co. to follow the same path as Oden... without necessarily having every secret and guidepost to Raftel's location spelled out for them. Sorta like the less obvious clues contained within the poneglyphs themselves in a way. They're essentially a series of logs in stone form after all.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Just realized how long that first post was. ? ?

I will call it - Raftel is described in the book
I think you might be right. :)

Also, since Oda did say the One Piece will be revealed to us after Wano, I wonder if it could be from that book.. since Oden was one of those traveled with Roger all the way to Raftel. :unsure:

Beky

Nancy <3
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I think you might be right. :)

Also, since Oda did say the One Piece will be revealed to us after Wano, I wonder if it could be from that book.. since Oden was one of those traveled with Roger all the way to Raftel.
Wouldn't be surprised. We are in flashback after all. Tho part of me believes god valley is raftel. Just makes so much sense

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
With Oden's miserable navigation skills it might net be that much help after all. Imagine Zoro giving you directions.
Uhhm... Go left?..?..
Then straight... Chase some butterflies...
Sit down for a nap...
Where did you want to go?

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
With Oden's miserable navigation skills it might net be that much help after all. Imagine Zoro giving you directions.
Uhhm... Go left?..?..
Then straight... Chase some butterflies...
Sit down for a nap...
Where did you want to go?
I'm not talking about Oden's navigation skills. I'm talking more of him recording what kind of islands they visited, and maybe even the names of these islands. They could provide a great clue and reference to where Raftel is.

E.g. "we visited an island (island X) with huge beasts, something I never saw before"... I set off and joined Roger in his journey... "The next island (island Y) we visited had buildings made of chocolate, I was stunned"... "The next island we visited was filled with humongous trees the size I've never seen before" etc...... "we arrived to an island called Raftel by flying in the sky and landing on some weird object. It had weird currents etc"​
If someone like Kaido got something like this, he could follow those clues, like a trail. Go to an island with beasts, then an island of chocolate, then an island of huge trees.. he could perhaps see what these islands were called, and he could even get a rough idea on what method he should employ to get to Raftel..​

Or even better... Oden might've even noted down what islands the road poneglyphs specified, in case that info was lost, since you know.. he could read poneglyphs... And he doesn't need navigation skills for that. All he needs is a pen and paper, to write down what islands these were...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I have always loved reading log books and have read a lot of them. My favourite being a book named "Baburnama" of Zaheerudin Mohammad Babur (A Turkic ruler who founded the Mughal Empire). There is alot of interesting information in it, all the way from battles, to poems, to details about people he met or even archeology.

Coming to the point, if Oden's log book is similar to this, OP is in for a real treat. Imagine there being information about the void Century in there. I'm starting to feel that the logbook is actually written in the poneglyph script, which wouldn't be a problem to read as there is Robin for that.

But it's very interesting that Oda mentioned his log book and there should definitely be a greater reason as to why he did. Maybe towards the end of the arc we find out more!

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
But if the SH will be able to get the logbook ij their possession, it's as unfortunate as Raleigh teeling them what they knew about the void century.

They may be able to loot it but handed it over to Momo and him telling them that it contains all the info they need, hence luffy decided to not take it like what he did to log pose in the recent movie.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
But if the SH will be able to get the logbook ij their possession, it's as unfortunate as Raleigh teeling them what they knew about the void century.

They may be able to loot it but handed it over to Momo and him telling them that it contains all the info they need, hence luffy decided to not take it like what he did to log pose in the recent movie.
Totally agree here. This logbook definetly contains too many informations.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Thats right, but does Blackbeard need the informations?
Why not? I mean, amongst the WG, only BB has shown dire desire in reaching raftel. There's no one else as craxy as him to gather bunch of criminals just to get there..

I think he has alrdy hinted about getting to somewhere just to get that something.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Why not? I mean, amongst the WG, only BB has shown dire desire in reaching raftel. There's no one else as craxy as him to gather bunch of criminals just to get there..

I think he has alrdy hinted about getting to somewhere just to get that something.
First of all also Kaidou and Big Mom have shown desire to reach Laugh Tale to be considered as Ruler of the Sea. And I would bet both would need it more then Teach.

It really seems like Teach had more information and that Odens logbook won't help him much.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
First of all also Kaidou and Big Mom have shown desire to reach Laugh Tale to be considered as Ruler of the Sea. And I would bet both would need it more then Teach.

It really seems like Teach had more information and that Odens logbook won't help him much.
Yeah they both do. But I was talking about BB as another option that may be in chase of that book, if not already taken by Kaido.

Top Bottom