Island CP5 Base

Larsi

Silver Hair
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons

The CP5 base in West Blue is a on its own island that houses no civilians. The main structures is an old stone castle near the center of the landmass, while other smaller structures spread across the island. The base is mostly used as a training facility, mainly for CP5 members, but they also train members from the other Cipher Pol agencies, and sometimes special training for specific marine squads.

Larsi

Silver Hair
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Baron
Level 50

Marquess
Level 45

Count
Level 45

Duke
Level 40

Earl
Level 40

Lord
Level 40

Cipher Pol Agents(50)
Level 30

Cipher Pol Recruits(500)
Level 20

Last edited:

Larsi

Silver Hair
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Jason Bourne swung his sack over his shoulder and stepped off the marine ship, onto the hardwood dock. While he didn't mind traveling on ships, it was nice to finally feel solid ground under his feet again, no longer swaying of water. The air smelled of the forest, fresh and soft, carried by gentle winds across the land.The sun glowed down on him from straight above, a nice and warm temperature compared to the brisk cold he had experienced on the sea.

It had been years since he had joined up as a marine recruit, and finally today he was transferred to Cipher Pol. And with that change came more training, specialized in more covert operations.

Around him, marine soldiers unloaded crates onto carts, likely full of supplies. Men dressed in suits processed the goods and watched them be pulled away, as well as direct crates that were to be loaded back onto the ship.

Jason followed the group of nearly fifty other recruits across the docks toward another man in a suit, standing with a writing board and gesturing them over. He wore a high brimmed hat, with long grey hair and what Jason assumed to be a permanent frown on his face.

I am Count, I will be your head training officer on your stay here. The officer said, before looking down on his list. I will now read up your name, please answer when I call out your name.

Count would call out a name, then assign the person a number that identified them. Jason answered when his own name was called, and a few minutes later they were done and Count gestured for them to follow him.

They walked for several minutes up a cobblestone road, in three orderly lines following Count. Sometimes carts from the docks would pass them, pulled by large horses. Nearly fifteen minutes of walk later a large castle came into view. Several smaller wooden barracks were placed around the larger stone structure, and Count led them towards one of them. While the other barracks clearly were inhabited, this one was empty.

This will be your lodgings during your stay, each bed is marked with your number and that is where you will sleep. Count said as he stopped beside the door. Any questions?

When no one spoke up, Count nodded. Training begins first thing in the morning. Food is served three times a day in the courtyard in the castle three times a day, each time announced by the bell. Next meal is in about two hours.

It was early the next morning, the sun had not yet risen. Jason sat on a long bench in the courtyard, other recruits lining the table on both sides. Several of them talked with each other, laughing and shouting. Several others however, Jason included, sat in silence and ate their food. He had no desire to make friends here, he had a goal to achieve and would not be held back by anyone else.

Less than half an hour after the start of the meal the bell rang again, announcing the end of breakfast. Jason rose while others scarfed down the remains of their food since they had not been focused on their meal. Meanwhile Jason returned his plate to the kitchen and walked back to the barracks.

Other recruits had brought with them several personal possessions that they had put in or on top of their bedside stand. Jason’s was empty though, except for a small box he had placed within the top drawer. He didn’t bring it out however, instead he fetched his jacket and headed outside.

By now a few of the other new recruits had made their way back, yet he already stepped outside, falling into parade rest.

While he stood there other recruits filed out and stood next to him, while others finally made their way back from the courtyard, taking their sweet time. A tall man in the white suit of an officer approached, long blonde hair flowing out from under his hair. He looked from Jason and the others standing ready to those that still had not finished getting ready.

GET OUT HERE NOW, RECRUITS! His voice boomed, surprising Jason and the others with the volume he was able to produce, nearly stumbling out of parade rest. The others started to scramble, rushing outside, with a few that still hadn’t made it back inside simply skipping retrieving their jackets. Breathing heavily, they assembled in a hurry, falling in beside the rest. Tomorrow you will be here before I am, anyone who is not will start their day with ten pushups per minute I have to wait for.

I am Earl, I am in charge of the early day training.
Earl said, looking down the line of recruits, all of which saluted him as one. Today we will begin with some basic training to assess your capabilities.

__________________________________________________​

Jason was sweating, his entire body ached and his breath was ragged, yet he pressed on. They had already been through strength testing and agility training, and now they were onto the obstacle course. Although he wasn’t in the lead, Jason was not by any means lagging behind. Only three other recruits were ahead of him, and as he watched, one of them stumbled and fell.

Moving more methodically, he climbed past the other recruit, moving ahead. Reaching the top of the climb, he crawled onto the platform where Earl stood, writing down his time. They didn’t say a word to each other, Jason simply climbed to his feet and walked away to catch his breath.

Reaching the ground, he started stretching and breathing exercises.

Within ten minutes the rest of the recruits had reached the end of the course, several collapsed on the ground in exhaustion. Earl walked around them writing on his board, his face a mask of neutrality.

Finished just in time. Earl noted, looking at his watch. In the distance the bell announced that dinner was beginning. Hurry up, you don’t want to be late back from dinner, do you?

A hint of smile formed on the officer’s face as those that were spread on the ground in exhaustion groaned, while Jason and the others started hurrying back to the castle.

Larsi

Silver Hair
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Form up! Count shouted, and Jason fell in line along with the rest of the recruits.

It was later in the day after the basic training, and he still felt sore and weak from the exertion. A few hours and a short meal had passed, and they were now arrayed in a neat line behind the castle itself. They faced Count who stood in the shadow of the stone wall, his eyes going down the line, likely not fully taking in any of them.

You have been through a test of physical strength and endurance, now it is time to test your skills. Count proclaimed, turning to the left as two men came, carrying a large crate between them. Stopping next to the officer, they put the box down and saluted him.

Gripping the lid of the crate, Count ripped it open and pulled out an item from within, long and thin. Wood and metal came together masterfully in the object, an iconic and powerful one at that. Jason shivered as he watched Count hold the rifle with sure fingers, showing it to the group. This would not end well.

You will now show your skill in firearms. Count said, handing the weapon to the first person in front of him. There are handguns, rifles and shotguns here. You will try all three and show your skill in each. You will use the firing ranges by the forest that is fit for your weapon, to show your marksmanship. For many of you this will be the most important tool for you in battle. I hope I will not be disappointed.

You will be. Jason only thought the words, he dared not say them. As the others crowded the box, he hung back and only watched. Only when the crowd dwindled and Count started to turn his eyes on him did Jason move forward hesitantly. Any problem, recruit?

I… Jason said, realizing he had not spoken before since arriving at the island. He hadn’t spoken much in years, though his instructors never seemed to mind, they actually preferred it it seemed. He stepped up to the box and reached in, fingers wrapping around the cold wood of a rifle. His arms shook as he raised it out into the sunlight. I have never been good with guns, sir. They have caused me too much pain, my body seems to reject them.

That is unfortunate. Bourne was it?
Count said, starting to flip through a stack of papers.

Yes, sir. Jason responded, trying to stop his shaking.

You performed near the top of the physical I see. Count read from the papers, not looking up at Jason. Yet I question how someone with such a… hindrance was recommended to the Cipher Pol.

My martial arts prowess was top of my class, sir. Jason offered, his arms almost still now.

Yes, I can see that. Count still read from the papers. Jason was far from surprised to hear they had information from his academy at the ready. Still, I shall have to see what you can do with a gun.

Jason swallowed, then saluted Count and walked down to the left shooting range. The sun was burning down from above and there was not a single breeze in the air, yet Jason felt a chill rising within him again. He tried to not look down on the deadly weapon that weighed him down so much as he crossed the verdant field.

Strangely he did not flinch at the gunfire, that part always surprised him, though it felt more distant than the hard truth he held in his hand.

Entering the shooting range, he took up an empty slot on the far end. Ammunition sat ready for him, a clean target set up in the distance. Picking up the bullets he felt the sweat on his hand and shaking return as he raised the rifle to be loaded. His hands fumbled the procedure, several pieces of ammunition dropping to the ground. By the time he was done loading, several of the other recruits had already finished their shooting, and new ones walked up with rifles they had swapped for.

Focused on himself, Jason finished loading and raised his weapon, shooting the first bullet. It barely scratched the outer ends of the paper that made up his target. That turned out to be his best shot as no others made a mark.

He barely performed better with the shotgun, while with the pistol he wasn’t even able to strike the paper at all. As he walked back across the field, pistol in one hand and three pieces of paper in the other, there was only one figure left on the field, standing next to the crate that he returned the gun to. Count accepted the shooting targets, looking at them immediately, silently inspecting them with a face that betrayed no emotion. Jason was about to turn and walk away to follow where the others had gone when finally Count spoke up.

I do hope you can prove your worth in other ways. Count’s voice was cold, his eyes rising from the papers and falling on Jason instead. For your own sake, because you will have wasted all our time with such mediocre performance.

I hope to not disappoint you any more, sir. Jason saluted. Permission to be dismissed?

Granted.
Count’s eyes moved back toward the castle, where Jason only now heard there was a bit of a ruckus going on. If you hurry, the cooks may still allow you to eat, you would not want to fight on an empty stomach, I hope?

Jason swerved, realizing in his trance during shooting he had not realized that the dinner bell had rung. Thank you!

With that he took off running around the castle, trying to make it in time to still be able to eat. He hardly felt the aches of the training earlier in the day, though he did feel weak. Count stood alone for a moment before slowly making his way back to the castle. He wasn’t worried about being fed, they would never dare to refuse him a delayed meal. Jason also was able to get back in time, getting a plate of cold stew that he devoured in mere minutes, not even caring about the words the other recruits spoke about him behind his back, mocking him for his failures in the shooting range.

Larsi

Silver Hair
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Jason walked across the grass, feeling refreshed and relaxed once more. Around him walked the other recruits, several of them having formed cliques and were chatting among themselves. Although he kept his eyes focused forward, he still heard what a few of them talked about, and a few jokes in his direction. It was hardly surprising and he didn’t actually care, guns and he would never agree with one another. A couple of them laughed, but he paid them no heed.

They were led by one of the Cipher Pol 5 officers who called himself Lord, a large man with curly, blonde hair. He had gathered them after mass and immediately led them away from the castle away from the docks they had arrived from the day before. Leading them through the forest, they soon reached a large courtyard. The ground was hard packed soil, almost like hard set sand, and the yard had a few small wooden buildings placed on the edges.

Lord walked onto the grounds and turned to face the group of recruits, waiting for them to array themselves in a line formation with their backs against the edge of the courtyard.

I am here to teach you martial arts. Lord spoke in a normal tone, yet his voice reached all of them easily. Specifically Rokushiki.

A few of the recruits let out a brief whoop of excitement at the mention of the Six Powers, or Rokushiki as they were more commonly referred to as. Another officer might have punished them for such interruptions, but Lord only smiled and waited for the sounds to die down before continuing.

Have any of you practiced Rokushiki before? Lord asked, to which about half of the recruits raised their hands. Good, how many of you have learned at least one of the forms.

Half of the hands fell down, but Jason was among those whose hands remained up. Lord nodded, seemingly impressed. How many, if any of you have learned two forms?

This time all but two except for Jason himself lowered their hands. Notably both of them had been making fun of Jason before.

Three? Lord asked, to which the other two hands fell, while Jason still held his up. Lord looked directly at him, nodding to him directly before starting to turn away. Very good, I-

Sir? Permission to speak? Jason moved his free hand up to salute the officer as he spoke. Lord turned back toward him again.

Granted, recruit.

I actually have learned four forms. Jason said, prompting Lord to actually look impressed, although a couple recruits actually seemed to find the claim funny, as they chuckled. They probably thought that someone who was as bad at shooting as he was maybe inept in other forms of combat. They must have forgotten he placed near the top of all the physical tests earlier in the day. Well, he didn’t mind that they underestimated him.

Bold claim. Lord said, his eyes darting in the direction of the laughter. We have the rest of the day, so how about we try something different? Why don’t we put it to the test? You three who found his statement so funny, let us see you prove how funny it is. After all you have four forms among yourselves, so that should be a fair match up, would you not agree?

Lord gestured and Jason stepped forward together with the three of the others. He noticed that they were one of the groups that had talked against him the most. Inwardly he was smiling, but he was careful not to let his face betray that emotion.

The same could not be said for the three opponents. A mixture of anger and mirth adorned their faces. One of them was much shorter than the others, but he had claimed to have learned two forms. Head shaven and his body compact, Jason made sure to keep him in mind at all times.

Number two was tall and lanky, with short cropped dark hair and a long angular face. The last recruit was a woman, shoulder length blonde hair and a small round face.

You others, up against the fence! Lord shouted for once, before turning his attention to the four combatants. Any death blow should be stopped right before impact, and then the target will forfeit. You may tap out at any time. All ready?

The three others, standing next to each other about ten meters in front of Jason nodded, as did he. Lord nodded, then struck his hand down.

Begin!

Short guy started walking forward, while the tall guy ran to Jason’s left and the woman ran right. All three held their hands up before them in a guarding position as they started approaching him together from all three angles. Not wanting to be overwhelmed right away, Jason decided to pick what he saw as the easiest target. Turning and jumping left he extended his index finger on his right hand, shooting it towards the tall man’s chest.

The man barely reacted in time, hitting Jason’s arm in the side and missing his chest but instead digging into the man’s right upper arm. Grunting in pain, the man stepped back and allowed Jason to momentarily turn around and face the two that now came bearing down on him. Their eyes now showed a hint of fear, the mirth gone, but the anger still remained.

While the short man showed no hint of any form yet, the woman’s hand was formed into a Shigan, finger extended like a dagger ready to strike. Hoping the tall man was distracted by the pain in his arm for a few seconds at least, Jason rushed toward the short man.

To his right the woman came in, trying to take advantage of the advantage in numbers. Jason merely swung his right hand, finger still coated in red, sending a spray of blood to her face. Likely she had assumed she was not close enough yet for an attack, for the liquid caught her right in the eye, and for a moment there was only Jason and the short guy. Using the momentum of moving his right arm, Jason struck his left hand forward in a Shigan, aimed toward the short man’s upper torso. However unlike the other man, the short man didn’t try to parry or dodge, instead he stopped still. His entire body tensed, Jason’s attack only cut through his shirt, leaving a thin scratch of blood on his chest. A shock ran up Jason’s arm, the pain of hitting a wall he could not break.

Immediately the man’s body untensed and he moved forward, delivering a well placed punch in Jason’s lower abdomen. In the last moment before impact Jason tensed up just as the other man had and only felt a shock reverberate through his body as he was struck. It did however carry more force than his own attack and Jason was lifted a few feet off the ground and sent flying backwards.

Untensing as he flew through the air, Jason turned his head and saw the tall man kick the air toward him, sending a wave of cutting air flying toward him. The Rankyaku attack was guaranteed to hit him if he didn’t change his direction and given that he was airborne they likely thought they had him now. Just before impact Jason kicked the air, sending him upwards, before flipping around and using Geppo to send him to the ground just before the tall man as he set his leg down.

Shock across his face, the tall man tried to raise his leg to strike again, but Jason landed inside his reach and placed his extended finger against the man’s throat, whispering a single word.
Dead.

Immediately he turned to face the two remaining, and the woman was already closing in on him again, both index fingers pointed forward. The short man was still standing in the previous position and only not reacting to his partner being eliminated. And so Jason decided to take on the woman, both index fingers extended to points as he rushed to meet her.

Determination covered a lot of fear in the woman’s face, knowing that she was outmatched, she likely hoped to stall him long enough to let the short man catch up. Jason had other plans however, as when they reached each other he crossed his arms. While she aimed for his body, Jason struck inside her forearms. And so, he dug into her arms, not only damaging both of her limbs but also stopping their attack. Even worse, before her attacks stopped, his fingers had dug long trenches in her arms.
See a medic.

It was all Jason could say before a heavy mass crashed into his body, slamming him against the ground. The breath knocked out of him, and still pressed to the ground, Jason groaned in pain. He didn’t have time to tense up again before a fist struck him in the face, then another. Only by the third strike was he able to perform Tekkai, once again only feeling the shake of the strike.

The short man straddled Jason, and kept punching. Jason had a feeling his Tekkai would let up before the man’s fists would give in, and so he thought furiously, as he was unable to move due to Tekkai.

He saw one chance, and decided to take it the split second after another punch struck him. Releasing his Tekkai he kicked the air furiously, and to his relief the Geppo sent him careening out from under the man’s legs, free from his attacks. Rolling backwards and onto his feet, Jason sought out the man again. Seeing him stumble to his feet, Jason smiled and took his chance, his feet swiftly tapping the ground as he disappeared in a blur.

At the same time Jason reappeared before the short man, finger placed against this throat, pressing into his soft skin.
Dead.

A silence fell on the courtyard, lasting several seconds. Jason looked around, seeing Lord tending to the two he had wounded, but eyes still shooting over to the two last combatants. Finishing a bandage on the woman, Lord stood up and clapped. The rest of the recruits finally came out of their stupor and joined in on the applause.

Larsi

Silver Hair
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Jason walked back toward the barracks alone, yet it was a different kind of solitude from the others than it had been at the start of the day. Before it had been jokes and mocking whispers directed at him. The other recruits kept their distance, not out of spite, but out of a mixture of fear and respect. They made sure to not go near him or in his way, but Jason simply did not care, pushing their new attention aside as he had before.

Stepping into the barracks Jason unbuttoned his coat and hung it off the end of his bed. Sitting down on his mattress he pulled out the small drawer in his bedside stand, lifting a small wooden box. It was clear of any adornment, apart from the lock that held it shut, simply a flat, wooden cube.

He held it in his hand for a moment, looking quietly at the plain object. Other recruits passed him and looked at him strangely, but they didn’t say anything nor did they laugh at him. A few minutes had passed before Jason reached into the neck of his shirt and pulled out a key hanging from a thin chain that wrapped around his neck. Slowly he eased the key into the lock and turned it until the lid clicked open.

With gentle fingers that only hours ago had brought pain upon three other humans, Jason grabbed the object within and lifted it out into the dim light of their room. A few of the other recruits had been watching with curiosity, and that turned to confusion as they laid their eyes on what Jason held in his hand.

A small toy soldier, carved and painted, though it was clear that it was not made by a master craftsman. Jagged edges and barely sanded down, it would have looked half finished if it was not for the coat of paint.

Jason held the figure gingerly in both hands, his eyes were facing the object but maybe not really seeing it. His eyes were unfocused, and as was his mind, instead wandering elsewhere. For several minutes he sat on his bed, not moving.

After what felt like an eternity, Jason stood up and turned towards his bedside table. Opening his drawer he once more put the figure inside its box and placed it in the place he had found it moments ago, then hiding it out of sight.

Most of the other recruits had settled in for the evening, even though they had a few hours until light off. Some were reading, others were playing cards together. A few were seated on the table against the far wall, enjoying drinks and conversation together.

Jason stood up and walked out, barely glancing at the other people he passed on his way out. In turn the others were focused on their own relaxation, for once leaving him be as he moved out into the hallway. There, he took a seat in front of one of the available den den mushis that were put aside for them to use. A plaque to the side notified him that conversations were recorded for the sake of security. With a smile, he flicked the sign with his finger, knocking it over.

Picking up the handle, he dialed a phone number, then sat and waited as the line was ringing. A minute passed, and still the phone was ringing, yet Jason sat tight. He didn’t expect the person on the other side to pick up quickly, so he picked up the sign he had knocked over, reading the fine print closer.

Any phone call made through these phone lines will be recorded and saved to ascertain no sensitive information leaked. These will be saved for-

Hello? A voice spoke in Jason’s ear, the sound of an old woman. Who is this?

Hey there granny. Jason said, speaking as if he finally was able to relax, his voice carrying the most emotion it had since he had stepped foot on the island. I hoped you would be up by now, given the time zone, it’s pretty late here.

Ah, Jason my boy! How are you holding up? The woman on the other side of the phone call said, her voice like a beacon of comfort to the young man. Have you been making friends?

Heh, not yet I’m afraid.
Jason smiled, leaning back in the chair. I’ve been feeling a bit down lately, my mood took a left turn. Helps me often to count to twenty five, somehow.

I am sorry to hear that, my dear. I wish I could be there to help comfort you.
Granny said, the years apparent in her voice. How are you doing in school, if you do not mind me asking?

I’ve been doing well, although my scores aren’t top across the board, I’m scoring among the top of my class. Jason said, smiling as he thought back to his failure at the shooting range, followed by the massacre during martial arts classes. I think it’ll turn out well, my teachers have an eye on me.

They do? Oh dear. What trouble have you gotten yourself into now?
The old woman asked jokingly, though Jason could detect a hint of worry.

Oh, don’t you worry about that. They are impressed for the most part, for the courses I’m shining in. Jason chuckled, fingering the phone cord.

Well, if you say so. The woman said, her voice terse. I say you sound as if you are feeling better already.

I suppose. We’ll have to see. Jason said, moving to change the subject. How is life at home?

Ah, finally you decide to ask how we have been? You truly must be feeling down.
The old woman chuckled. Ah, don’t you worry about that. Life is the same as ever, we are preparing for harvest. We’re hoping to bring it in before the storms hit.

I’m sure you’ll do just fine.
Jason mumbled, as if guilty he was not at home to help. But I gotta go, lights are out soon. Love you.

Love you too, hon.
The woman said, followed by the receiver clicking to end the call.

Larsi

Silver Hair
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
You will now be practicing reconnaissance. Earl shouted, hands clasped behind his back as he stood before the line of recruits. Behind him was what one may refer to as a small town. A single street that led down towards the docks they had arrived at on the first day, with five wooden buildings lining each side of the walkway. People walked the streets, moving in, out and between the buildings, seemingly moving about their business. Some carried objects, others were empty handed.

You will each be given a task, citizen, hunter or protector. Hunter you are to retrieve an object, protectors will guard them. Each object will be left out in the open, where many people frequent. And bear in mind, several of the people behind me are also part of the objective, either watching or attempting to acquire their own object. Earl gestured behind him, drawing their attention to what they had previously assumed were only working.

For those of you who are tasked with stealing, you have the option of copying the item too, as well as teaming up or causing distractions. However, Earl raised a finger, his voice taking on a more serious note if that was even possible, if you cause harm to anyone, the protector or innocents, you will be deducted. Serious harm will be cause for failure.

Hunters will be successful if stealing undetected, protectors will be successful. Citizens will be given a task to simply gather information from what they see.
Earl paused, moving his hands to clasp them in front instead. Have I made myself clear?

As one the recruits responded affirmatively, and the officer nodded. Good, you may head back to the barracks and requisition anything your task may require of you. The game will begin in thirty minutes, you will then have two hours to complete your task. Dismissed.

Just over thirty minutes later Jason walked down the street, surrounded by the rest of the recruits. Where before they had walked in clusters, now they all walked alone as he did, no one trusting their friends. There were no friends here, only the task set before them, just as he liked. The realization made him smile, especially that he received even less attention than others, as they seemed to focus more on those they knew.

His target was inside the first building on the left, but Jason kept walking. His goal was to steal, not to protect, so he only stole a side view at those that headed off inside, as well as whoever was inside already that were not recruits. Seemingly absentminded he fished a blue notebook out of his satchel and stepped inside the third building, a pen in his hand.

Entering through the double doors he was trailed by a handful of recruits, into what turned out to be a large storage room. Several rows of shelves rose from the floor all the way up to the ceiling, stretching a good twenty meters inwards, with room to walk around them on either side.

Walking down one of the aisles, Jason kept looking around and writing furiously as he did so. It would seem as if he kept inventory to those in the know, and in fact he had a list that looked strangely as if keeping tabs on a strange assortment of goods, though there was no obvious rhyme or reason to what was written down. Instead of writing more, he scratched off marks near a good ten objects, finishing as he reached the end of the row. Walking around and up the other side, he made sure to take in the objects on that side too, though he also paid attention to the people in the store, scratching a different mark next to several other objects in his list.

Finishing his task, he smiled at the man near the door, before stepping out onto the street again. Crossing onto the other side, he looked over towards the building that housed his target. A flash of light and shouts drew his attention toward the house directly across the street that he had exited from, he only focused on it for a moment before looking forward for what he was headed for, the building to the right of the one that now had a lot of chaos going on inside.

A few people leaned out of the door as he stepped inside, weaving past the bodies. So blatantly ignoring what happened outside drew attention from a few of the people inside, yet Jason paid them no heed. Instead he walked down the right side wall. His eyes fell on the longtable that he walked along, scratching more marks in his notebook. Reaching the end of the table he walked around the end, scanning the room quickly, before repeating the process the other way.

Walking out, he stole a sight down to the right, seeing a few people rushing out the door, just as loud bangs, followed by more shouting was heard down the street. Several people turned in the street, yet as he couldn’t see anything, Jason simply crossed the street and entered the house opposite, next to that of his target, stealing another look over there before stepping into the third building, repeating his task from the previous two buildings.

A few minutes later he emerged again, finally making his way towards the building he had laid eyes on to begin with. Entering, he did not do as he had done before, instead leaning on a desk just inside the doorway. This building was clearly an office complex, several dozen tables spread evenly across the floor, chairs both empty and occupied sat by them, plenty of supplies at each desk. He quickly located his target, a red notebook pretty much the size of his own. No one occupied the desk, yet he expected the protector was in clear view.

His eyes scanned the room, and already he had a few suspects. There was a woman a few desks back who kept glancing up with regular intervals, looking across the office. Scribbling a mark, Jason looked elsewhere. A male recruit that paced to his right was also suspicious. More marks in his notebook. A few more looks and a few more marks.

Finally, feeling pretty confident, Jason stood and started walking across the floor, making sure to look at each desk as he walked past them, making marks on a new page as he did so, not once stopping, not even in front of his target. He did however spare a quick glance as he passed it, and saw a couple people more alert than the rest as he did so. Smiling, he moved onwards, drawing on the page. What he drew now was a small drawing of the top blue cover of the notebook. Reaching the end of the tables he turned and flipped back to the initial page, making more marks on the page. And just as with the other buildings he exited once done, crossing the road onto the house across.

Half an hour later he exited the house across from the street from his target once more, having been through all the buildings and now made his way back through those he had visited before. Again he walked through the door into the office, sitting down on the same desk he had before, scratching more marks on the page. He drew less attention this time, but he noted the recruit to his right looked towards him nervously, before immediately returning to what he was doing, scribbling on his own book. Smiling as he finished his marks, Jason stood and walked among the rows of tables again, though this time closer to the recruit to his right.

As Jason walked past the seats, he stopped at a few and inspected the objects, obscuring that he was leaving an object behind. Reaching the end, he completed the same moves walking up on the other end. Finally, he moved toward the center where his target was, moving slowly down the desks, voicelessly inspecting each as he went. He was nearly at his target when each of the timed charges he had placed detonated in quick succession.

Flashing lights and loud bangs erupted all around him, obscuring him as he dove forward as if for cover, bumping into the table that held his target. Scrambling to his feet, Jason looked around wildly, seeing absolute chaos. Workers screamed and climbed to their feet, but nothing was on fire, instead it had just blown papers across the room, creating a mess together with the reactions from the people in the room.

As he rose to his feet, Jason saw the restless recruit rush forward and lay his eyes on the desk, but calmed down once he saw the red notebook where it had been all along. Stuffing his notepad with a loosely fitting blue cover into his bag, he spoke to the protector.
Are you alright?

Yeah! Yeah. I’m good.
He said, not even looking at Jason and both of them walked away.

Exiting into the fading sunlight, Jason smiled once more, heading towards the end of the street where Earl stood. Approaching the officer, he fished out the notebook, removing the blue cover to reveal the red notebook, switched with his own during his fall. His own had been covered in a red page, drawn to match the original’s cover, as he had copied after the first visit. The notebook only contained codewords for recruits and the other players, disguised as goods. He had used it to mark people’s locations, to check who may be the protector. The line labeled “Pens” had only one mark, showing that the worried recruit had only ever been in the same house.

With yet another smile, Jason handed his target to Earl, as well as the mission explaining his target to him. He was also asked to explain his process, and the officer actually seemed impressed. Jason suspected the recruit would not notice the switch, since he hadn’t yet, and with that in mind he started the walk back to the castle.

Larsi

Silver Hair
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Jason stepped back as his foe advanced, unleashing a flurry of strikes aimed at his body. Relaxing his body, he attempted to allow it to flow as paper on the wind, moving away from the air pressure created from the woman’s fists. The first strike narrowly missed, as did the second and third, his body moving as of its own volition.

The fourth punch found its mark however, hitting him squarely in his shoulder, knocking him out of his trance like state. Stumbling backwards and falling on his ass, Jason shook his head to clear his mind. The woman, his sparring partner for the moment, paused as he gathered himself. She looked off to the side for a moment, just before a voice spoke up.

Close one, Kami-E requires a perfect calm and that you surrender the will of your body. Lord stepped up next to the two combatants. His arms were folded behind his back, his spine straight and chin raised as if he looked down on every one of his students. His advice told another story however, as he continued to elaborate. You want to settle yourself properly before trying again.

And you.
He turned his attention toward the woman, Jason didn’t know her name, she had never spoken to her before. Be sure to watch your footing, if he was fighting back he would not struggle to knock you off your feet.

The woman mumbled her thanks and nodded to Lord, placing her feet further apart and loosening her muscles as he guided her through a better stance.

Jason rose to his feet and dusted off himself, drawing deep breaths to calm himself. Finished helping his partner’s stance, Lord turned his attention back again once more.
Remember to master this technique in a calm, controlled environment will allow you to more easily draw upon it in a moment of need. Trust your own body, and it will respond accordingly.

With a pat on Jason’s shoulder, the agent moved on to the next set of partners. The shock of the touch sent shivers through his body and he had to hold up his hand to stay the moves of the woman, allowing him to gather himself again. Deep breaths and moments later he beckoned for her to approach.

He avoided the first five strikes this time. Not the sixth.

Bruised and battered, Jason walked among the other recruits back from practice, heading towards the castle and their midday meal. None of them made fun of these days, a few of them would actually approach him and try to befriend him. He had few words for them, but didn’t push them away.

He knew he needed to learn to hide his dislike for them to be able to succeed in his goals, and so he saw it as another lesson for himself. Mostly they wanted him to help them improve, and today was no different, yet he suffered them.

Today was his sparring partner, who introduced herself as Juliet now, as opposed to during their practice. Jason responded with his own name and mostly listened to her talk as they walked. He would respond when he felt necessary, but he realized that although she was the one who sought information from him, he was the one receiving more from her. If he asked a simple question about something she said, she would expand more, allowing him to subtly guide the conversation.

Juliet spoke of her childhood, growing up poor on the streets of a port town on a small island in North Blue. She briefly mentioned its name, Notice, clearly not expecting him to know of it, but the name did ring a bell, he thought he had read about it recently, some problems with pirates.

Juliet had lost her father at a young age, and her and her mother had done whatever necessary to survive. She didn’t seem to want to talk about it, and Jason didn’t pry further. Too much pain there.

A year ago her mother had passed from disease, and having no one else to turn to, she submitted herself to service of the World Government. Being treated like a dog while fed is better than being a hungry dog.

Jason remarked on being impressed with her progress, as she had been training for less than a year. She smiled at that, probably recognizing the implication that he had been training for much longer.

They soon reached the castle and filed in through the gate into the courtyard. Grabbing their food, Jason told Juliet to follow him over to the spot he usually took by the table. It was now more crowded than before, a group of seven other recruits talking among each other. They each greeted Jason with smiles, who in turn introduced Juliet before taking his seat. A few of them scooted over, letting her squeeze in next to him for today. They had all sat next to him on the first day, then found a random spot for subsequent meals, just as she would, but now she likely would return to their little clique.

Jason fell silent and let the others speak, sipping his soup slowly. Occasionally he would seem to turn his attention to others in the group, but what he was really looking past them. His attention was really on objects placed along the edge of the courtyard and any person who approached.

The day after their mission in the town, they all had been given two new tasks each. One area to guard, one item to steal. Jason’s area to guard was the courtyard, to make sure none of his fellow recruits stole the items placed out in the open. So far he had seen no one make a move.

And so he spent his meal, half distracted by the conversation, half surveying the lot. He responded when prompted, and every now and then he interjected with a statement or question of his own. But largely they accepted his presence as a quiet rock to lean on. It worked to his advantage, for several reasons, so he saw no reason to change.

Larsi

Silver Hair
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Jason shook hands with Roger, thanking him for the sparring session, then stepped off the training field and grabbed a ladle of water from the barrel against the wall. As he swallowed the cold liquid he turned to face the pairs of combatants still going at it in the middle of the courtyard.

Juliet was getting the hand of shigan finally, and her tekkai was coming along nicely. Jason caught her eye during a quick break with her partner, and nodded approvingly. In return she gave him a smile, then turned back to the training session.

Putting away the ladle, Jason picked up a towel and started drying himself off as he walked down along the wall of the armory, looking over the other recruits as he did until he reached the next building over.

The infirmary was less busy today than it had been other days, and as he walked up to the door, Jason only heard a couple voices speaking inside. Darr had taken a hit directly to the side of the head and was laid out on the bed inside, while one of the nurses asked him questions.

Stepping inside and looking over to where they were against the far wall, Jason spoke quietly as to not startle them.
How is he doing?

Darr only groaned in response, but the nurse turned and smiled. Oh he is a bit out of it right now, but I do not think he has gotten a concussion, or at least not a severe one. He will need rest for the rest of the day, then we will do a checkup again tomorrow.

That is great! I will pass on the message to Lord, I am sure he would like to know. Jason nodded and stepped out, while the nurse turned back to Darr. Stepping outside, Jason walked further the same direction he had before, drying off with the towel further. Halfway between the door and the end of the building he whipped to the towel as if to throw off some of the moisture from his sweating. Then, in one smooth motion he folded up the towel and kept walking.

A few seconds later he stopped at the corner of the courtyard, waiting for Lord to finish up his current instructions. It felt like a short eternity standing there, waiting on the side in front of all the others. Even if they were mostly focused on one another, it felt as if they were stealing looks towards him. Any second he expected to be called out, but nothing came.

Finally, after what felt like forever, but probably less than a minute, Lord approached, seemingly measuring Jason with his eyes. Clearing his throat, Jason spoke quietly, but clearly.
Sir, I felt I should tell you that Darr likely does not have a concussion, but they will check again tomorrow.

That is… good, Jason.
Lord said, hiding his curiosity to a middling degree.

Yes, I thought so too. Jason said, handing Lord the folded up towel he held. I should get back to practice, have a good day sir.

Peeking inside the towel and seeing the papers that had been stapled outside the infirmary, which had been Jason’s target, Lord hid a smile.

Larsi

Silver Hair
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
It was the day after completing his task, and although Lord had been impressed with him and praised his efforts, Jason was not calm. He was seated at one of the long tables, a spoon slowly raising increasingly chilled soup to his mouth for him to swallow.

He was absently listening to Darr tell the others of his troubles, he had returned just in time for the meal after the nurses cleared him. He was to take it easy in physical training sessions for the next couple of days, but as long as he still felt fine three days from now he could resume his normal activities. What impressed Jason the most was how long Darr was able to stretch his tale, as that was in essence all he had been saying, just in enough words to fill the last ten minutes.

But no, Jason’s main focus was elsewhere. Although he faced Darr, his eyes darted across the courtyard, attempting to catch any movement. So far, none of the objects he had been charged with safekeeping had been disturbed, though deep down he feared they had been replaced with a copy when he was not looking directly at them.

Deep breaths, calm thoughts. If he panicked he would be useless, he would be just as likely to miss the real thievery as it happened. No, have faith nothing had been done yet, but be skeptical of anyone who approached.

It was surprising that it had already been days and no one had made any moves. He had already picked out a couple suspects who kept looking around, but it was possible they were just other guards like himself. Yet he did not want to out himself in case they were the former.

As Darr finally finished his harrowing tale, Juliet gently patted him on the shoulder and mumbled something about getting seconds. Something clicked in Jason’s head. He had never seen her get herself another serving.

Looking down Jason realized he had already finished his soup, and so he stood up and grabbed his bowl, wishing Darr a good recovery as he stepped away and calmly walked towards the pots at the far end of the yard.

Juliet was already halfway across the distance already, but her legs were shorter, so as they both walked casually it was not surprising that Jason gained on her. Only seconds after she reached the long table with food and grabbed a new large napkin and moved towards the pots, as did Jason. Like her, he grabbed a fresh napkin and followed in her footsteps.

Perhaps she had not noticed him, or maybe she thought he was not one of the guards, or it could be that she panicked. Regardless of which it was, before reaching the first of the pots she stopped briefly by the paper that was always put there after food was first served, that informed the recruits of the program for the rest of the week. In front of him she pretended to drop her napkin on top of the paper, then immediately picked it up, only for the target to be gone.

Jason was impressed, if he hadn’t been this close he might have missed it. Yet he was, and she had been sloppy, rushed herself. He almost felt bad as he stepped up next to her, serving himself from a pot right next to her.

Congratulations on getting the Shigan correct! Jason said, keeping one eye on his adversary. She startled at his words, but he only smiled. Seeing that, she smiled back, yet still nervous.

Thank you! She stammered, filling her bowl and beginning to turn away. I hope to get my tekkai soon as well!

That is great! Jason said with a cheery voice and smile on his face. As she turned to walk back to the table, his voice got cold, causing her to pause. I just got the hand of Tobu Shigan, did you know? It allows me to shoot many compressed air bullets at my target. Helpful if they try to run away.

Juliet turned her head toward him, sweat running down her brow, fear in her eyes. Jason?

I am sorry, Juliet. Jason turned, revealing to her his index finger pointed directly at her, hidden underneath his napkin. Why don’t you and I go talk to Marquess over there?

Swallowing, Juliet nodded. Gesturing with his head, Jason allowed the young woman to lead the way towards the man that stood near the main entrance to the castle proper. Around them, people started to notice that something was up, but respectfully turned their attention back to the food, as to not shame Juliet. For himself, Jason hoped he was not expected to catch more than one person, as it now was obvious that he was one of the guards here, and avoiding him would be much easier.

Marquess did not look towards them as they approached, instead focusing on the papers he held, appearing to try to study them intently. Jason cleared his throat as they reached within talking distance, and the agent slowly turned his head to look at the two of them. He spoke with a drawl, each word sounding as if he considered it thoroughly before releasing it from his lips.
Yes? Did you require anything?

Jason stepped forwards and pulled the papers covered by the napkin out and handed them to Marquess. I caught this woman in trying to steal these documents I was charged with guarding, sir.

Marquess grabbed the few sheets of papers and added them to his own, studying these too.

Very good, Bourne. Marquess’ eyes then fell on Juliet. A shame, though I suppose you were unlucky in your draw. You may both return to your meals, you seem to be hungry still.

Jason looked down on the bowl he still held in his hand, then smiled and withdrew, hurrying back to his spot. Juliet slowly trailed behind him, but ended up not taking her usual seat again today.

Larsi

Silver Hair
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Jason drew a deep breath, grabbed the door handle and pushed down. The door did not open, it was locked. Cursing under his breath, he looked around briefly. He was inside the back of the kitchen, having snuck past during mass. No one paid him any attention any more since they knew he had passed both tests, so getting away had been easy.

There was no one nearby, the cooks were working in the front at the moment, leaving the back empty with no one around. For a second he considered breaking down the door, but that would only leave tracks and announce to all that someone had broken in. No, he had something better. He had finally achieved Kami-E.

Stepping back and drawing a deep breath, Jason allowed himself to fall forward towards the bottom of the door itself. His body now almost thin like paper, he slipped through the slit underneath and came out on the other side. Breathing again, his body quickly returned to its normal state and he looked up at the room he now found himself in.

It was a small square room, dark and largely empty, though in the center a spiral staircase rose into the castle proper. Even after months here, he had not been inside the building itself, nor had he seen any of the other recruits enter. No, this place was only for fully fledged Cipher Pol agents.

Pushing himself to his feet and dusting himself off Jason approached the steps and started the climb upwards. It was a slow ascend, as he had to watch every step to make sure he did not make a sound, that the wood did not creak. The entire time he kept his eyes faced upwards for any sign of someone appearing on the top, though he felt that this passage was not often used, given that it was locked and empty below.

After a few minutes Jason finally reached the first door, and he was pleasantly surprised to notice this one was not locked. Gently, he opened it just enough to see inside, and he saw no one. He was not expecting to, since he had found out that all the agents ate dinner at the same time as the recruits, just in their separate smaller dining hall on the first floor. Yet who could say what other workers could be inside?

To his relief, as he stepped inside and felt solid stone beneath his feet again, he did not hear any sounds in any direction. Still, he made sure to remain quiet as he sneaked his way down the hallway, past several doors to different offices until he found the one he was looking for. At the far end, the sole room along the wall, the name and word “Baron” was written on the plaque that adorned the door. He had never interacted with the head officer of Cipher Pol 5, though he had seen the short man from a distance every now and then.

Testing the door handle, Jason was not surprised to find it locked, yet just as below there was an opening beneath the door itself. And so it was moments later that he stood up from the floor just inside the office, hurrying his body back to its normal shape.

Approaching the desk at the center of the room, Jason eyed the papers scattered on the surface. There were several letters both opened and sealed placed both in neat stacks and in a chaotic mess. He dared not touch the sealed, nor the pile of scattered paper. If Baron noticed anything was different from how he had left it, it could prove fatal.

Instead Jason quickly picked through the envelopes that were already opened, reading through them quickly looking for any information. Here and there he found information, such as deployment of troops and safe houses. Others contained useless information, or things that were clearly code.

Pulling out a piece of paper and pen, Jason began to write furiously. Numbers and words, though it was different from what were contained in the letters he read. He dared not write out the coded letters fully, both because of how long it would take, and how obvious it would be if they were read. No, he had to be focused. Get what he could and nothing more.

Checking the time, he knew he still had several minutes, and he heard nothing outside the door, so he moved on to the shelf. Books and letters filled the wall, and he dug in. There was farther between useful information, but he still managed to find some things he deemed useful. It did not take long before his prepared papers were full of writing, though to the naked eye none of it would make sense. Shorthand, colors and numbers. He stuffed it inside his jacket and put the last book back in its place, then turned towards the door. And froze.

Voices outside in the hallway and they were fast approaching. He thought he recognized Marquess and Count, and was that not Baron? Fear settled on Jason as he swung around the room and saw his safety. Even as the lock in the door clicked open, he leapt for the barely open window, thinning barely milliseconds before passing through the shutters, out in the sunlight.

Even as he flew out into the air, he heard the door swing open and the voices growing faint. They did not sound alerted, thank god.

Floating on the wind for a moment, he tried to keep himself close to the wall as he returned to normal once again. And in doing so he started to fall rapidly, the grass outside the castle approaching rapidly. At the last moment he kicked off the air using Geppo, slowing his descent greatly, so that when he touched down it was as if he had jumped a mere meter. Even as he did, he tapped the ground rapidly with his foot, speeding off along the wall using Soru.

A minute later he walked back into the castle courtyard and approached the table where the others sat. Juliet still did not want to speak to him, so she looked away as he took his seat. Darr was far less restrained, switching from his current conversation to address Jason.

Where were you? You’ve been gone so long your stew’s gone cold!
He pointed at the bowl before Jason and all the others, even Juliet, turned to face him and await his response.

You won’t believe the shit I just took, it put up more of a fight than any of you! Jason said with a smile, causing all around the table to groan in disgust. As quick as that the subject was dropped and Darr fell back into the conversation he had been having.

It had truly gone cold, Jason noticed as he ate the stew quickly, as to catch up before he was done. He was halfway done when a hand fell on his shoulder, and he noticed even Darr had fallen silent.

Jason, come with me. Marquess said, gesturing back towards the castle. Jason swallowed silently, looking at the agent. Nodding, he put away his bowl and rose to follow the man out of the courtyard and into the building, the one he had first been inside today. He touched his chest, feeling his papers rest securely inside his jacket still. Sweat started to spread across his body. Was this it?

Marquess pushed the door open and led the way inside, walking past other agents and office workers, leading him to a grand staircase of stone. Climbing upwards, they soon came into the same floor he had been minutes ago, walking in the same direction he had been. Reaching the door that marked Baron’s office, Marquess pushed the door open, waving Jason inside.

Not trusting himself to speak, Jason walked inside the office of the leader of Cipher Pol 5 once again. Lord, Count and Earl stood along the walls, studying Jason as he entered. Baron sat in his seat behind the desk, reading one of his letters. He looked up once Marquess shut the door behind him. Flanked by agents, Jason had never felt this exposed.

Bourne, is it? Jason? Baron asked.

What? Yes sir. Jason answered, saluting the man across from him, even as he stumbled over his words.

Are you feeling alright, boy? Baron said, leaning forward in his seat.

Yes, I- Jason said, stuttering. I mean, am I in trouble, sir?

Trouble? Why would you be in trouble? Baron said, seemingly confused and looking across the room, perhaps realizing how it must be for any young recruit to be brought into a room such as this, even if they were innocent. Ah, no. Far from it.

Jason tried to hide the breath of relief he let out, though if the agents noticed, perhaps they only saw it as Baron had.

No, you are to be commended. It has been years since we have had such a promising student such as yourself, and as with all others I pass information on the progress of our students on to the command of Cipher Pol. Baron said, gesturing with the letter he held in his hand. And it seems you have caught their attention. Near top result in all but firearm usage. Five forms of Rokushiki mastered-

Six. Jason broke in, Baron pausing with a questioning look. Six forms, I only recently got the hang of Rankyaku.

Six forms of Rokushiki mastered.
Baron resumed, coughing and looking towards Lord, who only shrugged apologetically. You have been given an offer by command. While I would like you to induct you among our ranks, Cipher Pol 9 have staked their claim on you.

Given your skills, they have offered you a position as one of their agents, effective immediately. Should you accept, you may choose two of your fellow agents to follow you in the field.

A smile spread across Jason’s face, and Baron knew he would accept the proposal.

Top Bottom