One Piece Denjiro Theory

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Sharing what I compiled regarding Denjiro, TLDR is that Kyoshiro = Ushimitsu Kozo/Witching Hour Boy = Denjiro, it's a rather well known theory often thrown around, some swear by it, some dismiss it immediately, please read and discuss!

First of all I would just write off the possibility that Denjiro is dead, there is no good reason for Oda to kill Denjiro off screen without anyone knowing about it.

And secondly, re-introducing Denjiro into the story this late would require lots of exposition. What’s his story? What has he been doing? Granted, yeah he could just be this guy 942 working in the shadows waiting to be introduced, but I believe in typical Oda fashion, he has set up Denjiro’s re-introduction to be a real banger.

1. Appearances:

When Denjiro was first introduced in the flashback 960 and looked nothing like Kyoshiro 919, I used the argument that the fact they look nothing alike actually supports this theory, as Denjiro is assuming a completely new identity and it would make sense for him to change his appearances as much as possible, the scabbards are pretty well known in Wano. But honestly with every timeskip in the flashback, they got more and more alike 970. As of the latest chapter, hairline, eyebrow, face shape seems similar enough. Kinemon went from delinquent hairstyle to a proper Samurai, Denjiro is just doing the opposite thing. Tsuru went from this 960 to this 913 in 20 years, the same thing can happen to Denjiro.

So yes, on first glance they look nothing alike, but if you look closely you can see the resemblance.

2. What Denjiro has been up to:

Reverse Crescent Moon Ankle Tattoo –
1000+ Samurai loyal to Kozuki clan identifies themselves using this Tattoo. After Lady Toki delivers her prophecy and supposedly dies, someone must have organized the remaining loyal supporter that they could find and told them to mark themselves, essentially planning 20 years ahead and laying the groundwork of the rebellion. Denjiro who seemed to be the most learnt and scheming scabbard fits the bill very well. Might I add that Kyoshiro’s recollection of Lady Toki’s prophecy is as if its a first person account, as one of the Scabbards not transported to the future or captured, it make sense for Denjiro to witness Toki’s final moment and organize all this not long after.

Kyoshiro and Witching Hour Boy – After, Denjiro decides to create the Kyoshiro persona, to position himself in a vital role in Orochi’s Forces by the time of the rebellion, biding his time while helping the rebellion effort in any way that he can. He also moonlights as the Witching Hour Boy to help Wano citizens in the little way that he still can. We know Denjiro in the past has an affinity with money, swindling money when he was young, advising Oden, lending and borrowing money all around Wano. And sure enough Kyoshiro is the money changer of the Kurozumi clan. His nickname is ‘Dozing’ Kyoshiro, he is often tired because he moonlights as the Witching Hour Boy until early hours of the day. Again, similar to the argument above, witching hour boy can be just some new character or even Izo, but again introducing a new character this late would require tons of exposition and Oda usually set up his reveal well beforehand.

Capturing the Witching Hour Boy should not be a problem for a man of Kyoshiro caliber, unless he himself is the Witching Hour Boy. Eventually he teamed up with Komurasaki, swindling and stealing money from the corrupt officials and spreading it to the common people.

3. Denjiro and Hiyori:

I assume Komurasaki and Hiyori is the same person, Hiyori and Kawamtsu’s story checks out and is pretty ironclad, their interaction is as genuine as it comes too, i would be surprised it its revealed otherwise.

So it is clear that Komurasaki and Kyoshiro are in cahoots, how Kyoshiro could fake the death of Komurasaki in front of so many people I dont know, but smuggling her out of from the pleasure district and faking the funeral procession should be in his realm of influence.

It appears that after Hiyori and Kawamatsu seperated, Denjiro already assuming the identity of Kyoshiro took her in and protected her, in his own way. It appears that whenever someone got to close, they’ll pull the fake death card. This whole thing is kind of messed up but whatever.

Hiyori also seems to know who the witching hour boy is, as shown in her reaction/concern 941 when she learned he was captured. And her reaction when Kyoshiro and Zoro clashed is again more akin to concern for both part 944.

4. Kyoshiro’s Action so far:

As someone that could fight toe-to-toe with Zoro, he has done almost nothing for Orochi

• He showed clear disdain for Orochi, often mocking and discrediting him, shaping public opinion of Orochi.
  • He seemed to recollect Lady Toki rather fondly and as if he witnessed it himself.
  • He arranged for one of Queen’s Flying Six to take care of Sanji, effectively reducing Orochi/Kaido firepower in the coming war.
  • He “killed” Komurasaki, esentially saving and freeing Hiyori from Orochi.
  • He then defended Orochi from Zoro, imagine if Orochi died right then and there, there would be no Fire Festival. The alliance wont’ get all the rotten eggs in one basket, an isolated fight in Onigashima. Instead Kaido will retaliate with many civilian casualties.
  • In front of Orochi he is rather reserved, when the topic of Scabbard is brought up, his answer is vague and can mean very different from whar Orochi thinks 932.
As of the latest chapter he is left in charge of the Capital 958, which currently hold 1000+ mighty samurai loyal to the Kozuki Clan, while most of Orochi and Kaido forces are already in Onigashima, mighty convenient if I'd say.

I’m also entertaining the idea that we have some infernal affairs/the departed shit going on here, with Denjiro embedded deep in Orochi’s forces controlling Orochi’s actions in a way, while on the alliance the traitor is still active.

I can totally see Denjiro revealing himself to the alliance before Act 3 ends, and helps resolve the plight they are in, Denjiro should have prepared accordingly.

5. Conclusion

I’ll just come clean that I buy into this theory very early on, and believing Denjiro=Kyoshiro, I notice these things that strengthens my beliefs. I did not notice these and arrive at the conclusion that Denjiro=Kyoshiro=Witching Hour Boy, I was convinced from the very start, hence why some point might be very subjective.

Of course this might completely miss the mark and i’ll look like an idiot, but you cannot say that the stuff i’m spouting is completely baseless.

6. Weakness in the theory

Some concern while writing this up:

• Jibuemon and some others should have met Denjiro but kept quiet then?
  • Kyoshiro could not be the Witching Hour Boy, Robin claimed to be the Witching Hour Boy and is quickly rebutted by the Oniwabanshu, reasoning being he already appeared earlier in the day? Kyoshiro is also present at that party, so its possible that Witching Hour Boy is, in fact, someone else entirely.
  • Hiyori explicitly said to Zoro she didn't know where Denjiro is, eh she might be lying to keep to their plan but still.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
If Denjirou is Kyoshiro, noone should actually know about it. Not even Shinobu knows about it.
In my opinion others not knowing about Denjirous whereabouts strengthen the theory of Denjirou = Kyoshiro.

Noone knows what happened to Denjirou and noone knows where Kyoshiro came from.
  • Kyoshiro could not be the Witching Hour Boy, Robin claimed to be the Witching Hour Boy and is quickly rebutted by the Oniwabanshu, reasoning being he already appeared earlier in the day? Kyoshiro is also present at that party, so its possible that Witching Hour Boy is, in fact, someone else entirely.
I have to recheck. When did the party start? Isn't it possible that Kyoshiro was there before the party even started?
  • Hiyori explicitly said to Zoro she didn't know where Denjiro is, eh she might be lying to keep to their plan but still
Why should Hiyori know that Kyoshiro is Denjirou? Its also possible that Denjirou thinks it is safer for Hiyori(or even both) not knowing his real identity.

And I totally agree Hiyoris reaction about Witchinghour Boy is the greatest hint for
Kyoshiro = Witchinghour Boy.

For me it looks like Denjirou became the Robin Hood of Wano while having a Fake identity of an evil Mafia Leader.
He will cause a huge plot twist during the climax.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
If Denjirou is Kyoshiro, noone should actually know about it. Not even Shinobu knows about it.
In my opinion others not knowing about Denjirous whereabouts strengthen the theory of Denjirou = Kyoshiro.

Noone knows what happened to Denjirou and noone knows where Kyoshiro came from.

I have to recheck. When did the party start? Isn't it possible that Kyoshiro was there before the party even started?

Why should Hiyori know that Kyoshiro is Denjirou? Its also possible that Denjirou thinks it is safer for Hiyori(or even both) not knowing his real identity.

And I totally agree Hiyoris reaction about Witchinghour Boy is the greatest hint for
Kyoshiro = Witchinghour Boy.

For me it looks like Denjirou became the Robin Hood of Wano while having a Fake identity of an evil Mafia Leader.
He will cause a huge plot twist during the climax.
I have to admit I've never even considered Hiyori not knowing about Kyoshiro's real identity, I'm too caught up in my preconceived notion, fair enough that's also possible.

Now this is the biggest issue in Kyoshiro=Witching Hour Boy argument:
Kyoshiro was present in the party from the start (929). I assume the party went all night and into early hours of the day, then when Robin was caught, her lies was quickly rebutted (932), the Oniwabanshu made it sound like, during the party, the Witching Hour Boy strikes again. Which put a wrench in everything.

It's just everything else seems to just clicked in my perspective.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Kyoshiro was present in the party from the start (929). I assume the party went all night and into early hours of the day, then when Robin was caught, her lies was quickly rebutted (932), the Oniwabanshu made it sound like, during the party, the Witching Hour Boy strikes again. Which put a wrench in everything.
Just checked again. Between 929 and 932 almost no time passed. Banquet started noon and Robin was caught in the evening. So WHB could have been there in the morning.

But also checked official translation which says that they know Robin is not WHB, because WHB wasvjust spotted in the capital. But this couldn't have been Kyoshiro.

But Kyoshiro = WHB could still work If we considere that from time to time Kyoshiros underling appear as WHBs. So that noone ends up suspecting Kyoshiro. :pepethinking:
(Similiar to John Diggle appearing as Green Arrow so that others stop suspecting Oliver Queen in DCs Green Arrow)

Robin Hood figures always work the same :weirdpeep:

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Time did passed though, it was still bright outside in 929, and by the time Robin was caught the moon is already out high, 931 and 932. This stumped me, might look around for other translation version.

Another detail I didn't mention, in 959 it is mentioned the people in Ebisu Town got some golds/money from Witching Hour Boy, however no word about theft is heard in the capital. What can explain this?

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Another detail I didn't mention, in 959 it is mentioned the people in Ebisu Town got some golds/money from Witching Hour Boy, however no word about theft is heard in the capital. What can explain this?
That might be some of the gold komurasaki got off those corrupt officials.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Sharing what I compiled regarding Denjiro, TLDR is that Kyoshiro = Ushimitsu Kozo/Witching Hour Boy = Denjiro, it's a rather well known theory often thrown around, some swear by it, some dismiss it immediately, please read and discuss!

First of all I would just write off the possibility that Denjiro is dead, there is no good reason for Oda to kill Denjiro off screen without anyone knowing about it.

And secondly, re-introducing Denjiro into the story this late would require lots of exposition. What’s his story? What has he been doing? Granted, yeah he could just be this guy 942 working in the shadows waiting to be introduced, but I believe in typical Oda fashion, he has set up Denjiro’s re-introduction to be a real banger.

1. Appearances:

When Denjiro was first introduced in the flashback 960 and looked nothing like Kyoshiro 919, I used the argument that the fact they look nothing alike actually supports this theory, as Denjiro is assuming a completely new identity and it would make sense for him to change his appearances as much as possible, the scabbards are pretty well known in Wano. But honestly with every timeskip in the flashback, they got more and more alike 970. As of the latest chapter, hairline, eyebrow, face shape seems similar enough. Kinemon went from delinquent hairstyle to a proper Samurai, Denjiro is just doing the opposite thing. Tsuru went from this 960 to this 913 in 20 years, the same thing can happen to Denjiro.

So yes, on first glance they look nothing alike, but if you look closely you can see the resemblance.

2. What Denjiro has been up to:

Reverse Crescent Moon Ankle Tattoo –
1000+ Samurai loyal to Kozuki clan identifies themselves using this Tattoo. After Lady Toki delivers her prophecy and supposedly dies, someone must have organized the remaining loyal supporter that they could find and told them to mark themselves, essentially planning 20 years ahead and laying the groundwork of the rebellion. Denjiro who seemed to be the most learnt and scheming scabbard fits the bill very well. Might I add that Kyoshiro’s recollection of Lady Toki’s prophecy is as if its a first person account, as one of the Scabbards not transported to the future or captured, it make sense for Denjiro to witness Toki’s final moment and organize all this not long after.

Kyoshiro and Witching Hour Boy – After, Denjiro decides to create the Kyoshiro persona, to position himself in a vital role in Orochi’s Forces by the time of the rebellion, biding his time while helping the rebellion effort in any way that he can. He also moonlights as the Witching Hour Boy to help Wano citizens in the little way that he still can. We know Denjiro in the past has an affinity with money, swindling money when he was young, advising Oden, lending and borrowing money all around Wano. And sure enough Kyoshiro is the money changer of the Kurozumi clan. His nickname is ‘Dozing’ Kyoshiro, he is often tired because he moonlights as the Witching Hour Boy until early hours of the day. Again, similar to the argument above, witching hour boy can be just some new character or even Izo, but again introducing a new character this late would require tons of exposition and Oda usually set up his reveal well beforehand.

Capturing the Witching Hour Boy should not be a problem for a man of Kyoshiro caliber, unless he himself is the Witching Hour Boy. Eventually he teamed up with Komurasaki, swindling and stealing money from the corrupt officials and spreading it to the common people.

3. Denjiro and Hiyori:

I assume Komurasaki and Hiyori is the same person, Hiyori and Kawamtsu’s story checks out and is pretty ironclad, their interaction is as genuine as it comes too, i would be surprised it its revealed otherwise.

So it is clear that Komurasaki and Kyoshiro are in cahoots, how Kyoshiro could fake the death of Komurasaki in front of so many people I dont know, but smuggling her out of from the pleasure district and faking the funeral procession should be in his realm of influence.

It appears that after Hiyori and Kawamatsu seperated, Denjiro already assuming the identity of Kyoshiro took her in and protected her, in his own way. It appears that whenever someone got to close, they’ll pull the fake death card. This whole thing is kind of messed up but whatever.

Hiyori also seems to know who the witching hour boy is, as shown in her reaction/concern 941 when she learned he was captured. And her reaction when Kyoshiro and Zoro clashed is again more akin to concern for both part 944.

4. Kyoshiro’s Action so far:

As someone that could fight toe-to-toe with Zoro, he has done almost nothing for Orochi

• He showed clear disdain for Orochi, often mocking and discrediting him, shaping public opinion of Orochi.
  • He seemed to recollect Lady Toki rather fondly and as if he witnessed it himself.
  • He arranged for one of Queen’s Flying Six to take care of Sanji, effectively reducing Orochi/Kaido firepower in the coming war.
  • He “killed” Komurasaki, esentially saving and freeing Hiyori from Orochi.
  • He then defended Orochi from Zoro, imagine if Orochi died right then and there, there would be no Fire Festival. The alliance wont’ get all the rotten eggs in one basket, an isolated fight in Onigashima. Instead Kaido will retaliate with many civilian casualties.
  • In front of Orochi he is rather reserved, when the topic of Scabbard is brought up, his answer is vague and can mean very different from whar Orochi thinks 932.
As of the latest chapter he is left in charge of the Capital 958, which currently hold 1000+ mighty samurai loyal to the Kozuki Clan, while most of Orochi and Kaido forces are already in Onigashima, mighty convenient if I'd say.

I’m also entertaining the idea that we have some infernal affairs/the departed shit going on here, with Denjiro embedded deep in Orochi’s forces controlling Orochi’s actions in a way, while on the alliance the traitor is still active.

I can totally see Denjiro revealing himself to the alliance before Act 3 ends, and helps resolve the plight they are in, Denjiro should have prepared accordingly.

5. Conclusion

I’ll just come clean that I buy into this theory very early on, and believing Denjiro=Kyoshiro, I notice these things that strengthens my beliefs. I did not notice these and arrive at the conclusion that Denjiro=Kyoshiro=Witching Hour Boy, I was convinced from the very start, hence why some point might be very subjective.

Of course this might completely miss the mark and i’ll look like an idiot, but you cannot say that the stuff i’m spouting is completely baseless.

6. Weakness in the theory

Some concern while writing this up:

• Hiyori explicitly said to Zoro she didn't know where Denjiro is, eh she might be lying to keep to their plan but still.
Its really a solid take and I like your writing style a lot. Very easy to understand and convincing presentation though it has some problems beyond some logistical trouble and characters who are in the know like Hiyori straight up denying it. Alone from their age Denjiro is very unlikely to be Kyoshiro but you seem interested in the subject and I think you almost got it down because its another character that has kinda the same function as Denjiro in the story. Its a missing wild card that is bound to appear in Wano and was/is a scabbard, it is Izo. He is the one who Hiyori is now going to and why she denied to not know where Denjiro is. Its also the reason why Neko has been missing up until now because Marco knows where Izo is and that they should meet up with him instead.

If you are interested in a take about Kyoshiro's role I would say it revolves around his character motivation because he serves someone he thinks is a coward. I think that Kyoshiro will take out Orochi during this arc and become a bigger threat than him. That would also explain why Hiyori is still alive because it is out of self interest. He plans to take out Orochi anyways and than he can use Hiyori afterwards again. She has to simply to go into hiding until then because there can't be a positive twist to her false death. If Kyoshiro is in truth good and someone like Izo/Denjiro than why didn't he tell the alliance about Orochi sabotaging the entire operation? Why is he defending Orochi and saving him? We know Kyoshiro is two-faced and in front of Orochi is always loyal(defending him against Zoro, killing Hiyori, showing him the card) but behind his back is laughing at him. That is a perfect setup for a betrayal in my view and what would explain it all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Its really a solid take and I like your writing style a lot. Very easy to understand and convincing presentation though it has some problems beyond some logistical trouble and characters who are in the know like Hiyori straight up denying it. Alone from their age Denjiro is very unlikely to be Kyoshiro but you seem interested in the subject and I think you almost got it down because its another character that has kinda the same function as Denjiro in the story. Its a missing wild card that is bound to appear in Wano and was/is a scabbard, it is Izo. He is the one who Hiyori is now going to and why she denied to not know where Denjiro is. Its also the reason why Neko has been missing up until now because Marco knows where Izo is and that they should meet up with him instead.

If you are interested in a take about Kyoshiro's role I would say it revolves around his character motivation because he serves someone he thinks is a coward. I think that Kyoshiro will take out Orochi during this arc and become a bigger threat than him. That would also explain why Hiyori is still alive because it is out of self interest. He plans to take out Orochi anyways and than he can use Hiyori afterwards again. She has to simply to go into hiding until then because there can't be a positive twist to her false death. If Kyoshiro is in truth good and someone like Izo/Denjiro than why didn't he tell the alliance about Orochi sabotaging the entire operation? Why is he defending Orochi and saving him? We know Kyoshiro is two-faced and in front of Orochi is always loyal(defending him against Zoro, killing Hiyori, showing him the card) but behind his back is laughing at him. That is a perfect setup for a betrayal in my view and what would explain it all.
I assume you're saying that Kyoshiro looks too young to be Denjiro? I'm sorry but I can't accept this argument at all, since you cannot tell how old someone is in this series with en eye test, especially in that 20-40 years range. Take Izo for example, when he first appeared you could say that he's 20 or 30 something and no one bats an eye, only recently we learned he's a lot older than we thought.

And bringing Izo into the discussion, like I said, for him to suddenly have a major role behind the scene all this while, is possible yes. But I feel that Oda always sets up his story, and so far, we have 0 indication that Izo is even in the picture. If he is to show up, it will be as reinforcement with Neko perhaps.

Yes Hiyori straight up saying she don't know where Denjiro is is one of the major weakness in the theory, and I cannot find a good explanation myself.
Nessos said this above:
it's possible I think, or Hiyori straight up lied for the bigger picture of whatever they're planning.

Your take about Kyoshiro's motivation is great and make sense tbh, it's just abit too detached from the main story of Oden and Kozuki Clan, which is why I can't buy into it.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
it's possible I think, or Hiyori straight up lied for the bigger picture of whatever they're planning.
Hiyori fully trusted Zoro otherwise she wouldn't have revealed herself. And again its not necessary Hiyori know about Kyoshiro = Denjirou, we know Hiyori was together with Kawamatsu for 7 years. In this time Denjirou might have already changed a lot.

Another possibility is that they know that there habe to be traitor. Not revealing Kyoshiros identity in purpose. Why revealing Komurasakis identity then? Simple even her fake identity isn't safe anymore and they can use this reveal to find out the traitor.
:pepethinking:

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Another possibility is that they know that there habe to be traitor. Not revealing Kyoshiros identity in purpose. Why revealing Komurasakis identity then? Simple even her fake identity isn't safe anymore and they can use this reveal to find out the traitor.
:pepethinking:
Yes I personally believe this too, that Hiyori is at least working with Kyoshiro to expose the traitor/spy in the alliance side. Orochi already received intel that Hiyori is alive and is hiding somewhere in the north, I fully expect to see her not long after we return to present timeline and see how Hiyori and Kyoshiro jebaits Orochi instead.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Unbelievable wrote my Denjirou = Kyoshiro theory almost 1 year ago on OJ

Back then I thought Yasu is Witchinghour Boy and Traitor xD
Well with the confirmation of Yasu fakeclaimes WHB at 942 and Hiyoris reaction from 941 I was certain I combined it to Denjirou = Kyoshiro = WHB.

First time.calling Kyoshiro = Denjirou was directly after 921. (While I was thinking Kawamatsu = Hitetsu xD)

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Eyy I'm pretty happy with how this turned out, heres to the many many other fans that came to the same conclusion, cheers.

The clues and hints are there, Oda doesn't pull reveals out of nowhere. Really i wrote that up cause I'm annoyed Denjiro=Kyoshiro theory got shot down without a second thought in reddit and forum comments, solely from appearance aspect, ignoring the truckloads of hint past that.

The part about ankle tattoo might be overly speculative of me, and kinda disappointed Denjiro did not witness Toki's prophecy first hand, but real glad overall.

Omg I didn't know you could still access OJ that way, thank you! I remember at one point, i was 100% convinced Yasu and Toko are the evil traitor duo, I'm sorry Yasuie..

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Fucking shit guys. You literally unravel an amazing theories.. So Denjiro, my boy is practically the most important piece of the puzzle and the key to have a decent advantage on the upcoming war with just the manner in which he tried and gathered resources all the years!!

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Omg I didn't know you could still access OJ that way, thank you! I remember at one point, i was 100% convinced Yasu and Toko are the evil traitor duo, I'm sorry Yasuie..
Well I only saved a my theories this way :weirdpeep:
(And you can also only find what was saved by you or others not everything)

Top Bottom