One Piece Is Mihawk stronger than Shanks? Big NO.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Hi Thrillerbark,

I don't like talking to people about my theories. So, just take them with a grain of salt. It's not really a debate. I'm either right or wrong in your eyes, and I'm either right or wrong in mine. Either way it shouldn't matter that much to anyone personally. It's just a theory. My theory.

Is Hawk-Eyes Mihawk stronger than Shanks?
- NO

There are obvious reasons for this.

1. Mihawk and Shanks dueled until Shanks became an Emperor of the Sea.
- Obviously, when Shanks became an Emperor of the Sea clear power gap became apparent between him and ALL OTHER pirates (including Mihawk).
- What is Mihawk's status? Mihawk's status is as a former Warlord of the Seven Seas (there are Seven Warlords).
- There are Three Great Powers in One Piece. They are (1) the World Government (2) the Seven Warlords of the Sea and (3) the Emperors of the Seas.
- Individually, the Seven Warlords do not equal the military strength of an Emperor of the Sea. In fact, the Seven Warlords are used by the World Government to offset the difference in military strength between themselves and the emperors and their personal military powers.

2. Shanks is a prodigy in the use of Haki.
- When Shanks met with Whitebeard, it became evident that his main claim to fame was his use of Haki. Whitebeard is the Strongest Man. Kaido is the Strongest Creature. Big Mom is the Strongest Woman. When you consider the domains of these individuals, they are each the strongest. However, Shanks cannot be the Strongest Man, nor can he be the Strongest Creature, and nor can he be the Strongest Woman. So, what's left? Shanks is The Most Powerful Haki User.

What did they say when Shanks approached Whitebeard? They said, "As always, his spirit is impressive." They acknowledge that his spirit is absurdly strong. What are Shanks traits? Shanks LOVES life. In everything he does, he does it to extremes. Drinking? He drinks heavily. Playing? He plays heavily. He is a passionate person. That's his greatest quality, and that's his greatest strength. It's not his swordsmanship, or his physical strength that allows him to compete with Whitebeard, Kaido, and Big Mom, it's his powerful spirit, and THAT ALONE. His swordsmanship is just a way to channel his spirit... the power of his spirit exceeds his level of mastery in swordsmanship. Why? Because Shanks doesn't have an arm anymore. He lost it. It got bitten off. He can't channel Haki through both of his arms to make sword attacks anymore. He can only channel Haki through a single arm.

Think about that... Mihawk wanted to duel Shanks because Shanks was GOOD at swordsmanship. However, when Shanks lost his arm, he lost a major part of his swordsmanship because it requires two arms to properly control a sword. The obvious result of a fight between Mihawk and Shanks after he lost his arm is simple. Mihawk would LOSE, and in an UNFITTING manner. What unfitting manner? Shanks would beat Mihawk without using refined swordsmanship. Instead, he would just overpower him with his Haki, and dismiss his swordsmanship entirely. Knowing this, Mihawk begrudgingly conceded all future duels with Shanks because it would only serve to reinforce the idea that he cannot oppose an Emperor of the Sea single-handedly. There will always be some gap in power... and the clearest one is with Shanks. He understands completely what the difference in strength is between himself, and Shanks, and doesn't even try to compete with him anymore like that.

For Mihawk... the duels with Shanks used to be fun because Shanks was a competent swordsman. However, when Shanks lost his arm, Mihawk considered Shanks an incompetent swordsman, but also acknowledged that he was someone with a spirit that was too powerful to compete against any longer. I believe Shanks still offers to have duels with Mihawk, but Mihawk rejects them out of hand. It may be commonly known among them both that any serious fighting between them would result in Mihawk being put into a corner eventually.

The power of an Emperor of the Sea exceeds the power of the Strongest Swordsman.
Shanks was a competent swordsman, and that's why Mihawk enjoyed dueling him.
Shanks became an incompetent swordsman, but Mihawk acknowledges that even if he were now a bad swordsman SHANKS WOULD CRUSH HIM IN ANY SERIOUS FIGHTING WITHOUT A QUESTION.

Mihawk doesn't want to get beaten by a BAD SWORDSMAN who is stronger than him just because his spirit is overwhelming powerful. It's not classy.

It's like being a professional basketball player, and getting beaten by a genius kid in a game of 21. It's super stupid. It shouldn't even happen. But it does.... and it's a reality. For Mihawk and Shanks, anyway. Actually, it's WORSE. It's like being beaten by that kid over and over and over again. Mihawk's pride won't let him subject himself to that. (it's not fair)

--

I'm actually being really nice to Mihawk here. I didn't point out something that he probably wouldn't want pointed out.

Saying Shanks is a BAD SWORDSMAN is JUST AN EXCUSE.

Mihawk is using Shanks only having 1 arm as an excuse not to engage in further duels with him.

Mihawk actually believes that Shanks is a FANTASTIC swordsman. He may even believe that losing an arm made little to no difference in the expertise that Shanks displays during his actual combat performances.

He actually got better at swordsmanship, and became stronger, and Mihawk stopped thinking it was funny years ago. At first, it was a joke! His best friend.... Shanks... who he used to be on equal footing with... is now demonstrating abilities that far exceed his own along with his talent for swordsmanship. He probably adores Shanks, and thinks that he is the most gifted individual that he has ever met in his entire life. But, he refuses to duel him anymore as well because of the great gap in power that now stands between them. There is NO POINT to dueling Shanks.

In regard to the Marineford War when he tested himself against Whitebeard to gauge what the gap was between them... he already knew what the gap was between himself and Shanks. He understood what it was to try to deal a lethal blow to one of them -- it will not succeed. Somehow, the Emperors will defend against the blow. So, he sent out one of his most reliable attacks to Whitebeard... and it got shrugged off by one of his crewmates instead.

Shanks may have very well defended against that attack personally just to make a point to Mihawk about his own personal strength. However, he didn't even get to make such a statement to Whitebeard because his crewmate negated the attack before it even approached him -- this act further reinforced the fact that an Emperor of the Sea is in a world of their own in Mihawk's understanding of them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
beware, you might be called shankstard because of this theory

imo, I do think they were equal in terms of swordmanship, but after shanks lose an arm, mihawk sees no benefit in duel/fight ing shanks.

Top Bottom