Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 972: I am Oden! I was born to boil!

Rate the chapter

• Amazing

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • Great

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Good

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh

• Poor

• Awful

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Just caught up to last 3-4 chapter, man, oh man, oh man!! :catsweatcry: My tinfoil hat thoughts about Oden possibly being alive are extinguished by this last 2 chapters but wow what a legendary punch out by Oden! He was definitely Roger's equal both in spirit and strength. But enough of fanboying, I agree with what most of you here think, both Kaido and Orochi deserve to and need to die by the time this arc wraps up, and Orochi deserves to die in a gruesome, gore, Berserker kind of way, I hope Momonosuke and scabbards end him. Slowly.

Also I highly doubt that any of the 9 scabbards is the traitor, it's obvious after this chapter that none of them are.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Just caught up to last 3-4 chapter, man, oh man, oh man!! :catsweatcry: My tinfoil hat thoughts about Oden possibly being alive are extinguished by this last 2 chapters but wow what a legendary punch out by Oden! He was definitely Roger's equal both in spirit and strength. But enough of fanboying, I agree with what most of you here think, both Kaido and Orochi deserve to and need to die by the time this arc wraps up, and Orochi deserves to die in a gruesome, gore, Berserker kind of way, I hope Momonosuke and scabbards end him. Slowly.

Also I highly doubt that any of the 9 scabbards is the traitor, it's obvious after this chapter that none of them are.
I also hope the entire Kurozumi family is exterminated if they weren't already. Just because Oden felt bad about them getting persecuted in the fallout from the evils of Orochi's grandfather getting exposed doesn't mean they're good. If anything, from what we saw of the clone and barrier Kurozumis, they're trash who deserved to die.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I was rereading this, and the interaction between kaido and oden, this whole flashback, it just makes me feel all the more stoked for luffy to beat kaido.

like, narratively/emotionally/creatively, I'm ready for it. Luffy, buddy, you just got handed a hell of a torch. I cannot wait to see kaido go down.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I would rate this chapter** the worst (not that it was a bad chapter). Him and Ace have some sad deaths. Personally, I still want Oden to somehow be found to be alive. Like he used Haki or something to slow the bullet and faked his death. Technically the scabbards didn't see him die. He survived the boiling oil. He got submerged in it. But he was also able to survive underwater. In every situation where he was seemingly supposed to die. Oden's smile is supposed be a make way for "SMILES." Interestingly that may be where Kaido got the name SMILE. And the whole SAD effect of laughing when you want to cry. I guess it also being hinted that the D's and the Kozuki are similar in that smiling regard.
Anyway I hope he's still alive somehow.

But what I don't get is that the scabbards are being so secretive and not forthcoming. They said Oden was killed for not giving information to Kaido on Laugh Tale. So what is the reason behind that? Why not just say Oden was killed trying to save the country by himself.

Then apparently Oden spoke about Joyboy and basically the translation describes Toki. He says Joyboy is a him or her. Is there another time traveler or time traveling device? And that's the treasure of Marie Geoise and with the Op-Op fruit, you can be an immortal time traveler? Could that be what is. And that Oda has been hinting it all along with with the Foxy character popping up frequently seeming like a gag character but his devil fruit is about time in a sense?
Or is Joyboy an ancient weapon like Poseidon that reincarnates? Which is why Im is looking through the photos to see who is most likely to be the reincarnation of Joyboy?
Or Did through some emergency situation, Toki send Joyboy into the future? Which is why he couldn't fulfill his promise. They said the Kozuki's carve the poneglyph's. Roger asked Oden to carve something into one. Which may be a hint that Joyboy asked a Kozuki to do the same for the Fishman Island one. Though he did not necessarily have to travel there, as we've seen Jinbe carry a poneglyph. So maybe he was on Wano, there was tragedy and Toki sent him forward but not before a Kozuki created that message. Or the previous user of the fruit sent him forward.

Another question is what happened to Toki's devil fruit? Because maybe whoever has it is the traitor. And they spy on the plans then go forward in time to warn Orochi.

It seems Kaido has some half honor because he killed the hag for duping Oden and possibly ruining his battle. Just like Katakuri and Flampe. I guess they take it as insult that they need help from weaker people. I don't get Oden saying get as strong as you can. But that may be a "get as strong as you can be cause you're going to need it," based on Oden's letter to Toki. I also guess that Oden figured the people 20 years from now would be Roger's offspring or whatever prophecy they heard. He was expecting it to be Ace or he was expecting scabbards to find Whitebeard out at sea but he would've mentioned to look for Whitebeard and Roger's men to stop Kaido. So instead he just magically knows the Strawhats will arrive. Because they are the only crew that entered the new world (and Caribou) 20 years later as the rest of the worst generation came like 2 years prior. Apparently Kaido may just be a main antagonist. Also "a war that will separate the oceans?" That could possibly mean seaquakes and Blackbeard.

I am lost as to how Oden has his swords. It is interesting that even Oden notices that she isn't sad about his execution. I hope that is a hint that Toki knows that Oden will still be alive in the present. Maybe she can send him forward without being near him. He said that he wants to use her power. Maybe it was more than for momonosuke and the scabbards. If her power would've sent him forward in time, he could've landed where he was when it happened. But he was in a pot, so he'd get sent 20 years into the future possibly in that same boiling pot. Which would not be boiling anymore because the oil would likely be gone. And if there were no traces of him, it would be presumed he got incinerated to nothing. And if you notice, Oda did show Orochi shooting one of the Cp-0 in their face to not effect but their fake reaction. And he did show Bege shooting Oven and surviving. So Oden could've planned this all along. As he's saying "don't underestimate samurai." Law was in captivity saying to someone, "if this is part of your plan, I'll go along with it." People assume that it is X Drake but Oden seems to be planning as well because he knows how important Opening the Borders are. He said he needs to open them and cannot die. Knowing how strong Kaido is, he probably couldn't leave it up to chance. I hope it plays out like that because that would be super crazy and people wouldn't see it coming in the least bit. Everyone's been telling me he's dead and I'm like no he's not. I'd like to be right in this situation because I'm sure everyone would love it for Oden to be alive.

If he's not and now Roger, Whitebeard and Oden have died then maybe it is a hint that Ace, Sabo and Luffy will too since they kind of were showed parallel. If you think about it: Luffy is Roger, Whitebeard is Ace just because he really didn't want to be Pirate King and Sabo is Oden because they both sought freedom/liberation from their lands.

Anyway, I hope someone there's some plottwist like hi secretly surviving. He's just been shown to be that Legendary that him dying by one gunshot like that just doesn't seem fitting. Roger has an excuse for not having a glorious death as he was ill. But Kaido shooting him so casually like that just reeks of Kaido is very arrogant and it will come to haunt him. From the translation I got, Oden says "Toki, Momonosuke, Hiyori I'll be going on ahead." Hopefully it doesn't mean to the after life and actually means 20 years into the future. Because if Oden knows that's when the decisive battle will take place then he'll make his way there to save his people like he's always done. It may be playing in reverse. Before Kaido didn't have the means to survive Oden so he had to bide his time. Now Oden knew he didn't have the means to defeat Kaido and had to bide his time by faking his death then transporting into the future to wait for reinforcements. I guess Laugh Tale told Oden the story of war coming or the seakings. Probably why they said they were too early and pissed they'd miss the war.
It wouldn't sound dumb if it worked out that way that Oden survived though. If this is a play and we're the crowd, we're all supposed to think he's dead. Then he shocks at the last minute.

Something must be going on because why was Marco not shocked that Kaido took over or was on Wano?
And who created rumors that Toki wasn't from their Wano's time. Like how would anyone even assume that?

Also, I just realized that when Oden met Toki she was 26. And Hiyori is 26, 20 years after the death of Toki who sent people 20 years into the future. Which is the present timeline. Apparently Hiyori was killed by Kyoshiro, only to come back to life somehow. Eventhough her death was shown in front Orochi in the same manner as Oden. Oden survived boiling, Hiyori survived supposedly being eaten. Both then were given killing blows by someone else in the manner of a "Samurai's Mercy." Oden was seemingly killed by Kaido and he kind of spoke friendly words. Hiyori also was asked if she was ready to die. Only for Hiyori to reappear later on. Kyoshiro also happens to have only shown up in Orochi's ranks recently. People said Denjiro. But if you notice, he shares some similarities with Oden. They both have funny sideburns along with a strange top hairstyle and hairy lower legs. Not the exact same face or build though. Also when Hiyori "died," Kyoshiro's slice left taters of her robes in the air. When Toki ripped up Oden's note, it has that similar look. And Oden said he wanted to use Toki's power if he ever died. Then Kyoshiro asks hiyori if she's prepared right before she's about to die. It is meant mean are you prepared to suffer the consequences, but it could be "have you made the preparations yet?" So could it be possible that Toki and Oden have reincarnated themselves through time? I get that Toki and Hiyori are mother and daughter but they look identical. Then (although I compared Kyoshiro to Oden) Oden has the voice of all things as does Momo. So is it possible that they both reincarnate through offspring in death like how Poseidon's power passes on? Something out the ordinary is happening. She's said she reached the terminus of her journey. Which could mean she's reached the end point in that particular reincarnation. If Hiyori can fake her death than Oden possibly can. And that may explain why Oden was such a powerful baby is because he's been reincarnating and transferring his powers through the people and is from an Ancient Kingdom. I don't know but something strange is happening. Hiyori faking her death and coming back to life? In that situation, she supposedly died and then Kyoshiro picked up a note. Which is the meeting cards that Kin'emon made. She's found to be alive. Oden just supposedly died and then Toki is looking at a note from Oden after, in the same manner. Then Oden speaks on Joyboy coming through time whether male or female. So now speaking of notes, Joyboy left an apology letter on Fishman Island in poneglyph. It can possibly be a note in the similar manner as the previous instances I mentioned. So one can see it as death notes being left. And the reincarnation process starts after the note is read by someone. Oden said his soul will still live on, which could be figurative. However it could be literal and similar to Brook's devil fruit. Plus the big smile in pot, could be a hint at "Joyboy." They said he's been traveling through time so it has to be possible that he reincarnates.

Edit: He was talking about the prophecy and I know this sounds a bit like jibberish. I wrote it as new thoughts came. However it sure does look like at death, a note is left

Last edited:
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I would rate this title the worst. Him and Ace have some sad deaths. Personally, I still want Oden to somehow be found to be alive. Like he used Haki or something to slow the bullet and faked his death. Technically the scabbards didn't see him die. He survived the boiling oil. He got submerged in it. But he was also able to survive underwater. In every situation where he was seemingly supposed to die. Oden's smile is supposed be a make way for "SMILES." Interestingly that may be where Kaido got the name SMILE. And the whole SAD effect of laughing when you want to cry. I guess it also being hinted that the D's and the Kozuki are similar in that smiling regard.
Anyway I hope he's still alive somehow.

But what I don't get is that the scabbards are being so secretive and not forthcoming. They said Oden was killed for not giving information to Kaido on Laugh Tale. So what is the reason behind that? Why not just say Oden was killed trying to save the country by himself.

Then apparently Oden spoke about Joyboy and basically the translation describes Toki. He says Joyboy is a him or her. Is there another time traveler or time traveling device? And that's the treasure of Marie Geoise and with the Op-Op fruit, you can be an immortal time traveler? Could that be what is. And that Oda has been hinting it all along with with the Foxy character popping up frequently seeming like a gag character but his devil fruit is about time in a sense?
Or is Joyboy an ancient weapon like Poseidon that reincarnates? Which is why Im is looking through the photos to see who is most likely to be the reincarnation of Joyboy?
Or Did through some emergency situation, Toki send Joyboy into the future? Which is why he couldn't fulfill his promise. They said the Kozuki's carve the poneglyph's. Roger asked Oden to carve something into one. Which may be a hint that Joyboy asked a Kozuki to do the same for the Fishman Island one. Though he did not necessarily have to travel there, as we've seen Jinbe carry a poneglyph. So maybe he was on Wano, there was tragedy and Toki sent him forward but not before a Kozuki created that message. Or the previous user of the fruit sent him forward.

Another question is what happened to Toki's devil fruit? Because maybe whoever has it is the traitor. And they spy on the plans then go forward in time to warn Orochi.

It seems Kaido has some half honor because he killed the hag for duping Oden and possibly ruining his battle. Just like Katakuri and Flampe. I guess they take it as insult that they need help from weaker people. I don't get Oden saying get as strong as you can. But that may be a "get as strong as you can be cause you're going to need it," based on Oden's letter to Toki. I also guess that Oden figured the people 20 years from now would be Roger's offspring or whatever prophecy they heard. He was expecting it to be Ace or he was expecting scabbards to find Whitebeard out at sea but he would've mentioned to look for Whitebeard and Roger's men to stop Kaido. So instead he just magically knows the Strawhats will arrive. Because they are the only crew that entered the new world (and Caribou) 20 years later as the rest of the worst generation came like 2 years prior. Apparently Kaido may just be a main antagonist. Also "a war that will separate the oceans?" That could possibly mean seaquakes and Blackbeard.

I am lost as to how Oden has his swords. It is interesting that even Oden notices that she isn't sad about his execution. I hope that is a hint that Toki knows that Oden will still be alive in the present. Maybe she can send him forward without being near him. He said that he wants to use her power. Maybe it was more than for momonosuke and the scabbards. If her power would've sent him forward in time, he could've landed where he was when it happened. But he was in a pot, so he'd get sent 20 years into the future possibly in that same boiling pot. Which would not be boiling anymore because the oil would likely be gone. And if there were no traces of him, it would be presumed he got incinerated to nothing. And if you notice, Oda did show Orochi shooting one of the Cp-0 in their face to not effect but their fake reaction. And he did show Bege shooting Oven and surviving. So Oden could've planned this all along. As he's saying "don't underestimate samurai." Law was in captivity saying to someone, "if this is part of your plan, I'll go along with it." People assume that it is X Drake but Oden seems to be planning as well because he knows how important Opening the Borders are. He said he needs to open them and cannot die. Knowing how strong Kaido is, he probably couldn't leave it up to chance. I hope it plays out like that because that would be super crazy and people wouldn't see it coming in the least bit. Everyone's been telling me he's dead and I'm like no he's not. I'd like to be right in this situation because I'm sure everyone would love it for Oden to be alive.

If he's not and now Roger, Whitebeard and Oden have died then maybe it is a hint that Ace, Sabo and Luffy will too since they kind of were showed parallel. If you think about it: Luffy is Roger, Whitebeard is Ace just because he really didn't want to be Pirate King and Sabo is Oden because they both sought freedom/liberation from their lands.

Anyway, I hope someone there's some plottwist like hi secretly surviving. He's just been shown to be that Legendary that him dying by one gunshot like that just doesn't seem fitting. Roger has an excuse for not having a glorious death as he was ill. But Kaido shooting him so casually like that just reeks of Kaido is very arrogant and it will come to haunt him. From the translation I got, Oden says "Toki, Momonosuke, Hiyori I'll be going on ahead." Hopefully it doesn't mean to the after life and actually means 20 years into the future. Because if Oden knows that's when the decisive battle will take place then he'll make his way there to save his people like he's always done. It may be playing in reverse. Before Kaido didn't have the means to survive Oden so he had to bide his time. Now Oden knew he didn't have the means to defeat Kaido and had to bide his time by faking his death then transporting into the future to wait for reinforcements. I guess Laugh Tale told Oden the story of war coming or the seakings. Probably why they said they were too early and pissed they'd miss the war.
It wouldn't sound dumb if it worked out that way that Oden survived though. If this is a play and we're the crowd, we're all supposed to think he's dead. Then he shocks at the last minute.

Something must be going on because why was Marco not shocked that Kaido took over or was on Wano?
And who created rumors that Toki wasn't from their Wano's time. Like how would anyone even assume that?

Also, I just realized that when Oden met Toki she was 26. And Hiyori is 26, 20 years after the death of Toki who sent people 20 years into the future. Which is the present timeline. Apparently Hiyori was killed by Kyoshiro, only to come back to life somehow. Eventhough her death was shown in front Orochi in the same manner as Oden. Oden survived boiling, Hiyori survived supposedly being eaten. Both then were given killing blows by someone else in the manner of a "Samurai's Mercy." Oden was seemingly killed by Kaido and he kind of spoke friendly words. Hiyori also was asked if she was ready to die. Only for Hiyori to reappear later on. Kyoshiro also happens to have only shown up in Orochi's ranks recently. People said Denjiro. But if you notice, he shares some similarities with Oden. They both have funny sideburns along with a strange top hairstyle and hairy lower legs. Not the exact same face or build though. Also when Hiyori "died," Kyoshiro's slice left taters of her robes in the air. When Toki ripped up Oden's note, it has that similar look. And Oden said he wanted to use Toki's power if he ever died. Then Kyoshiro asks hiyori if she's prepared right before she's about to die. It is meant mean are you prepared to suffer the consequences, but it could be "have you made the preparations yet?" So could it be possible that Toki and Oden have reincarnated themselves through time? I get that Toki and Hiyori are mother and daughter but they look identical. Then (although I compared Kyoshiro to Oden) Oden has the voice of all things as does Momo. So is it possible that they both reincarnate through offspring in death like how Poseidon's power passes on? Something out the ordinary is happening. She's said she reached the terminus of her journey. Which could mean she's reached the end point in that particular reincarnation. If Hiyori can fake her death than Oden possibly can. And that may explain why Oden was such a powerful baby is because he's been reincarnating and transferring his powers through the people and is from an Ancient Kingdom. I don't know but something strange is happening. Hiyori faking her death and coming back to life? In that situation, she supposedly died and then Kyoshiro picked up a note. Which is the meeting cards that Kin'emon made. She's found to be alive. Oden just supposedly died and then Toki is looking at a note from Oden after, in the same manner. Then Oden speaks on Joyboy coming through time whether male or female. So now speaking of notes, Joyboy left an apology letter on Fishman Island in poneglyph. It can possibly be a note in the similar manner as the previous instances I mentioned. So one can see it as death notes being left. And the reincarnation process starts after the note is read by someone. Oden said his soul will still live on, which could be figurative. However it could be literal and similar to Brook's devil fruit. Plus the big smile in pot, could be a hint at "Joyboy." They said he's been traveling through time so it has to be possible that he reincarnates.
Oden is the witching hour boy 100%after reading what you said. It would make sense because he helped the people of wano in secret before. Igot a theory brewing now

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Liked the chapter a lot and it narrowed down the traitor to only 1 person down for me. Kanjuro as usual has no dialogue in the last two chapters unlike every other scabbard and is missing out of most shots when important things are being stated. He even has "weird" tears coming from him. They run unnaturally over his hair and look like they are created by his ability.

Raizo is cleared now for me because of his stern reaction and not being ashamed in front of Oden but it seems that even Orochi doesn't know who the traitor is. Otherwise he wouldn't have sacrificed all scarabs at the same time unless something completely different is going on.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Franky is def going to play a major role given his past connections with Oden. I want to see his reaction upon seeing an Oden picture

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
What an amazing chapter that was. A lord deserves a godly ending coming from a demon or beast himself, Regardless if it's through a bullet or any other weapon.

Again, no more theories about 9 scabbards being the traitor, those overflowing emotions couldn't be fake nor a facade. Oda wouldn't showcase a glimpse of their first meeting with Goden had they been a traitor.

For Toki being a traitor, what is in it for her? Seriously?

The only one I could think of is Oden's dad's servant..

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Please don't understand the theory wrong, i didn't say "Toki is Traitor", i said that there is "No Traitor"
And the leaks that were happening seemed like bad to Alliance but they were actually necessary for War to be won
I merely said that Toki could still be alive and using her Time DF to shape events in the way they should happen

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Please don't understand the theory wrong, i didn't say "Toki is Traitor", i said that there is "No Traitor"
And the leaks that were happening seemed like bad to Alliance but they were actually necessary for War to be won
I merely said that Toki could still be alive and using her Time DF to shape events in the way they should happen
I never read your theory nor any posts in this thread just yet so I wasn't referring to any. I just merely said that zi don't believe it could be her. Letting her son leap into the future with 4 guardians isn't very antagonistic for me.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
What an amazing chapter that was. A lord deserves a godly ending coming from a demon or beast himself, Regardless if it's through a bullet or any other weapon.

Again, no more theories about 9 scabbards being the traitor, those overflowing emotions couldn't be fake nor a facade. Oda wouldn't showcase a glimpse of their first meeting with Goden had they been a traitor.

Yeah i think that servant could be a traitor. Or there is a Kurozumi spy still alive...

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons

But what if the traitor isn’t evil or malicious? I think it has to be one of the nine and it will be revealed that they were basically in a terrible situation—like if it was kinnemon, maybe Orochi and Kaido had threatened otsuru—where it is an impossible decision that keeps getting worse and worse.

I feel like if this is the case, it has to be kinnemon for maximum emotional effect and conflict of interest.
It explains why he didn’t kill Momo or anything like that, but has still leaked valuable information.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
But what if the traitor isn’t evil or malicious? I think it has to be one of the nine and it will be revealed that they were basically in a terrible situation—like if it was kinnemon, maybe Orochi and Kaido had threatened otsuru—where it is an impossible decision that keeps getting worse and worse.

I feel like if this is the case, it has to be kinnemon for maximum emotional effect and conflict of interest.
It explains why he didn’t kill Momo or anything like that, but has still leaked valuable information.
Well if that happens, that's a real turnover of emotion. Imagine the very person who inititated the mustering of all te alliance was actually the unconscious spy, it's gon be preposterous. Not to mention his dedication tp the family.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Well if that happens, that's a real turnover of emotion. Imagine the very person who inititated the mustering of all te alliance was actually the unconscious spy, it's gon be preposterous. Not to mention his dedication tp the family.
I know. I mean... it would take some excellent writing and timing to pull it off. I just feel like with him being introduced as Momo's father for so long, and with how much we know about him and his attitude, relationships, and history, I feel like out of all the scabbards at this point Kinnemon would be the most upsetting to be revealed as the traitor :pandacry: I would literally be sobbing lol

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I hope oden alive by toki hint. If he is, I hope he becomes a sh.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
So how strong is Oden?

That was Prime Oden, and Kaido still had more potential to grow. So how strong was he?

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Oden is the witching hour boy 100%after reading what you said. It would make sense because he helped the people of wano in secret before. Igot a theory brewing now
Could be, it would either be him or Denjiro.
We had the sword thief being someone allied with Kawamatsu.
Shuntenmaru the thief was Ashura
The witching hour boy has to be of the scabbards or him. I still think Oden is the guy we saw in the shadows talking to Law. I just think somehow the characters have been faking their deaths. There is a lot of secrecy going on with them.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Could be, it would either be him or Denjiro.
We had the sword thief being someone allied with Kawamatsu.
Shuntenmaru the thief was Ashura
The witching hour boy has to be of the scabbards or him. I still think Oden is the guy we saw in the shadows talking to Law. I just think somehow the characters have been faking their deaths. There is a lot of secrecy going on with them.
isn't that Drake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom