Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
One Piece Chapter 980
Title: Fighting Music

Support One Piece by subscribing to the new all access Shonen Jump released by VIZ or read the chapter for free on Monday on their website or phone app (if available in your region). For those who do not have access to VIZ can read the last 6 chapters on Shueisha's Manga Plus.
CHAPTER IS OUT ON
ReadJump

ONE PIECE CHAPTER 980 QUICK SUMMARY
Coming Soon...

Please avoid posting one-word/one-liner comments such as "great chapter!" or "awesome, I'll read it later!" and ensure that you contribute to the discussion with your content!

Thanks for being a part of the TB community!

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Kind of disappointing that Luffy didn't see the future, I know that there are multiple factors that are effecting FS but still, I feel like from now on Oda is going to manipulate FS and switch it on and off for plot purposes:cautious:. Overall it felt like unnecessary time spending(n), the whole chapter is Luffy and Zoro vs fodders, basically all that was needed to end the chapter on cliffhanger.

Waiting for the next chapter:sleep:

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Yo, yo, you gotta love that rapping-style interaction between Apoo-Queen! 🎙

Well one can say Luffy wasn't calm. But one shouldn't ubderestimate Apoo and especially Not his Fruit. He was the only one manage to Land an attack in Borsalino pre TS.
Yep, everyone seem to be underestimating Apoo like he's some random fodder who's supposed to get KO'ed in 1 chapter.
From what we've seen, Apoo's attacks are completely unavoidable & can hit pretty much anyone.
The downside? Takes too long to deliver 1 hit. Sanji can slaughter him with ease before he even opens his mouth.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Well one can say Luffy wasn't calm. But one shouldn't ubderestimate Apoo and especially Not his Fruit. He was the only one manage to Land an attack in Borsalino pre TS.
I never underestimated Apoo, I always rated him higher in strength than others, it's just that Luffy has the ability to see the future and by logic he should have been able to see what will happen before Apoo attacked. Like I said, there are multiple factors to FS and also we don't know Apoo's ability well enough to make a judgment, but still, knowing Oda and his style of writing I'm 100% sure his going to manipulate FS using Luffy's emotions to switch it on and off if it's necessary for plot purposes. Back in WCI arc when he got FS my first thought was, how does Oda is going to write the story forward when Luffy can literally see the future and change it? Well, we got the answer here! At least I did. I hope Oda will not write himself to the corner with abilities like FS and God knows what, there's nothing bad in Luffy loosing consciousness to Apoo's attack (when it has a reason/sense), it's just that not long ago he endured similar attack in Udon and back then he was weakened by sea stone and couldn't fully use haki, and just compared to what Luffy endured in the past fighting with Katakuri and Rob Lucci it's inevitably leaves bad taste in a mouth.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Kind of disappointing that Luffy didn't see the future, I know that there are multiple factors that are effecting FS but still, I feel like from now on Oda is going to manipulate FS and switch it on and off for plot purposes:cautious:. Overall it felt like unnecessary time spending(n), the whole chapter is Luffy and Zoro vs fodders, basically all that was needed to end the chapter on cliffhanger.

Waiting for the next chapter:sleep:
I agree, Luffy is kind of disappointing here but I think it is intended for Kid to shine now

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I never underestimated Apoo, I always rated him higher in strength than others, it's just that Luffy has the ability to see the future and by logic he should have been able to see what will happen before Apoo attacked.
You doubt Borsalino have FS? Or that he wasn't calm back in Sabaody?

I am even go so far and say that Luffy used FS in the clash with Apoo. He only didn't find a way to avoid the attack. For me its clearly hinted here

Neither Zoro nor Luffy are familar with Apoos power. In my opinion Oda is just consistence it is no plothole nor did make use of "feelings effect future sight" here.

I know there many comments of butthurt Katafans, but FS ≠ Allmighty. Should be clear after G4 Snakeman vs Katakuri FS^^

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
there's nothing bad in Luffy loosing consciousness to Apoo's attack (when it has a reason/sense), it's just that not long ago he endured similar attack in Udon
About this you should remember that knocked down an Admiral pre TS. And I expect Apoo grew in power within the last 2 year too.

[automerge]1590141304[/automerge]
A random theory: Apoo's attacks only work against people who listen to the sound he produces.
That might be right. Nice catch!

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
You doubt Borsalino have FS? Or that he wasn't calm back in Sabaody?
undefined
I'm pretty sure he has advanced CoO but that doesn't matter, since he has a logia type DF so he doesn't care that much.
I am even go so far and say that Luffy used FS in the clash with Apoo. He only didn't find a way to avoid the attack. For me its clearly hinted here
Quite possible, but I can't confirm it since there weren't any implications for that, but if he did, he at least should have been able to protect his body using CoA (again it's quite possible that Apoo's DF allows him to bypass Haki who knows, we don't have enough information about his powers) but even then Luffy should have been able endure it since he endured a similar attack in Udon and didn't lost his consciousness despite being weakened by sea stone.
[automerge]1590141931[/automerge]
About this you should remember that knocked down an Admiral pre TS. And I expect Apoo grew in power within the last 2 year too.
Even if Kizaru didn't have a logia I don't think he would have lost consciousness after Apoo's attack since another Admiral Akainu was able to endure punch from Whitbeard himself.

By the way, post time skip Kid was able to avoid Apoo's attack, based on the fact that Kid and Apoo have fought against each other and they were part of an alliance would mean that Kid has an advantage over Apoo since he knows his powers, it's quite possible that all of this is just for Kid's hype.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rej
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
pretty sure he has advanced CoO but that doesn't matter, since he has a logia type DF so he doesn't care that much.
Again Borsalino was suprised and he glared at Apoo before getting hit.

but even then Luffy should have been able endure it since he endured a similar attack in Udon and didn't lost his cons
You think that attack of Old Maid was as powerful as the attack of Apoo?
In my opinion any of the strawhats are able to deal with the headliners easily and Apoo plays for me in the same league as the Monster Trio.
Again Apoos attack was the only attack that manage to hurt or suprised an Admiral. Luffy getting suprised and now people crying about Luffy getting hurt and suprised by the same Attack 2 years later by a more powerful Apoo is laughable. Thats my point about it.
[automerge]1590145028[/automerge]
By the way, post time skip Kid was able to avoid Apoo's attack, based on the fact that Kid and Apoo have fought against each other and they were part of an alliance would mean that Kid has an advantage over Apoo since he knows his powers, it's quite possible that all of this is just for Kid's hype.
When did Kidd avoid an attack of Apoo?!?
The panel you posted looked liked Apoo jumped back.

Also the convo implied that Kidd was the one making the first move.

Toei thought the same as me.

And now Kidd manage to hit Apoo offguard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Apoo plays for me in the same league as the Monster Trio.
Again Apoos attack was the only attack that manage to hurt or suprised an Admiral. Luffy getting suprised and now people crying about Luffy getting hurt and suprised by the same Attack 2 years later by a more powerful Apoo is laughable. Thats my point about it.
I absolutely agree on Apoo's power level and I have no problem with that, I also think his on monster trio level and I personally rate him above Zoro and Killer (that's my personal opinion please do not try to convince me otherwise). I compared Old maid's attack to Apoo's attack for two reasons, first is that the explosions were comparable to each other by size, second is that he used a bomb, it wasn't like he punched Luffy. And Of course there's probably much more to Apoo's attack than we know or can see, he might have been using haki or maybe the explosion happened inside Luffy, the point is that I'm not downplaying Apoo by any means, is just that Luffy endured much, muuuuuuuch worst than that and didn't lost his contusions. Like when Rob Lucci destroyed Luffy's organs with Rokuogan multiple times

Or when he was stabbed by Katakuri's trident and fought at least an hour after that

And it's not that much bad for Luffy since he has been defeated by Caesar clown before (due to unknown DF ability) and I was fine with that, it had sense to me back then and has seans to me till this day, but when Luffy loses his contusions due to physical attack like explosion (when Prospero endured much stronger explosion in WCI arc) that leaves a bad taste in mouth and makes Luffy's past oponnents look bad since they were trying to accomplish the same with all their arsenal and still couldn't do that, but Apoo with one thecnique absolutely casually (even for few seconds) defeated a 1.5 billion man who is thought to be the 5th emperor.

Last edited:

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
And here we get our first fight Kid vs Apoo :sarcasticshottie:

Zoro rly was > Luffy in this chapter, I mean wtf

I also somehow like the Queen Panels, and I feel the opposite will happen, he will be taken down and there will be no new Tobi Roppo spot.

4/5 chapter, enjoyed it.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
first is that the explosions were comparable to each other by size
Explosion size doesn't matter for me.
Based on comparism we can say for sure the attack Apoo used against Luffy was the same Apoo used against Borsalino.
Can we agree on this?

And then one compare power gaps, which gap do you think is bigger? (Weak <-> Strong)
  1. Sabaody Apoo <-> Wano Apoo
  2. Sabody Borsalino <-> Wano Luffy
At 2. I don't wanna imply that Luffy is already stronger then Borsalino. For me the gap is at best 0 or maybe even negative while first is the progress we almost see from anyone else of the Supernova.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Explosion size doesn't matter for me.
Based on comparism we can say for sure the attack Apoo used against Luffy was the same Apoo used against Borsalino.
Can we agree on this?

And then one compare power gaps, which gap do you think is bigger? (Weak <-> Strong)
Again I can't speculate about Apoo's attack power since there're a lot of unknown factors that we will find out in next chapter, my comparison comes from the information that I have about Apoo and of course Wano Apoo is much stronger than Sabaody Apoo but it's hard to believe that his attacks are stronger than Katakuri's for example.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Again I can't speculate about Apoo's attack power
But how do you think about the gap?
Is gap 1 or 2 bigger?

*I am asking this question, because in my opinion it is the only real meassure we have. About Luffy getting stabbed by Kata or destroyed organs by Lucci, who dass the Explosion doesn't come from the inside? Its sound, sound waves penetrates bodies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
But how do you think about the gap?
Is gap 1 or 2 bigger?
It's really hard to tell with this much limited information but I think that 1 is bigger, I think Apoo is much stronger than he was in Sabaody, he for sure has learned haki and some additional powers to. The 2 is much smaller since I think he's comparable to Admirals, while he's not on Admiral level yet (and Admirals would defeat him in a fight) based on that commanders are equivalent of 3 Admirals and we've seen them fighting against them for small period of time and Luffy defeated two of them and has both advanced COA and COO I would say he's comparable to Admirals.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
It's really hard to tell with this much limited information but I think that 1 is bigger, I think Apoo is much stronger than he was in Sabaody, he for sure has learned haki and some additional powers to. The 2 is much smaller since I think he's comparable to Admirals, while he's not on Admiral level yet (and Admirals would defeat him in a fight) based on that commanders are equivalent of 3 Admirals and we've seen them fighting against them for small period of time and Luffy defeated two of them and has both advanced COA and COO I would say he's comparable to Admirals.
Which means you agree with me.
Gap 1 is big and gap 2 is almost 0 or even negative.
Wano Apoo >> Sabaody Apoo
--------↓-------attack---------↓--------
Wano Luffy =< Sabaody Borsalino

This would mean the effect the attack had against Luffy in Wano should have much bigger then the effect shown against Borsalino shown in Sabaody.

And thats how I see it. I wouldn't start to compare with any other attack.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Which means you agree with me.
Gap 1 is big and gap 2 is almost 0 or even negative.
Wano Apoo >> Sabaody Apoo
--------↓-------attack---------↓--------
Wano Luffy =< Sabaody Borsalino

This would mean the effect the attack had against Luffy in Wano should have much bigger then the effect shown against Borsalino shown in Sabaody.

And thats how I see it. I wouldn't start to compare with any other attack.
But I still can't even imagine how Apoo's attacks can be stronger than Katakuri's.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
But I still can't even imagine how Apoo's attacks can be stronger than Katakuri's.
It don't have to be stronger, but can be more effective. As I already mentioned soundwaves penetrates bodies. So the explosions could even come from the inside of Luffys body and then you can compare it to Luccis Rokugan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom