Questions & Mysteries Zoro's story and how to create black blades

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Hello,

yesterday it struck me how the entire story line of Zoro will be resolved and why its highly related to the creation of black blades. The solution can be found in the relation of his 3 swords to each other.

1. Shusui -> Enma (both I assume are black blades, Enma is the "king of the underworld" and therefore the name already hints to its true nature)
2. Sandai Kitetsu
3. Wado Ichimonji

All of his swords originated from Wano, that isn't a coincidence. The story of his swords tell the story of Wano that is relevant to this day and its not a surprise then that Zoro will change a "sword from the past" with one of the current time(Kozuki family). The Kitetsu curse is still prevelant to this day, the family of Kuina is still alive and her will lives in Zoro's sword and of course, Enma belongs to the Kozuki clan.

1. Kozuki
2. ?
3. Shimotsuki almost certainly

Something is missing that we don't really understand yet and that is Zoro's past, the Roronoa clan. So we know that Kitetsu is cursed and that Tenguyama is waiting for someone. That someone is Zoro but what will happen after the curse is lifted? On Which story line is Zoro currently on in Wano and what does he want to achieve? It is to create a black blade.

Obviously simply infusing it with haki isn't enough or people like Shanks would have one but they don't. There is a very specific method that is related to haki to achieve this feat, that as far as we know only Mihawk and Ryuma were able to accomplish. The answer is the breaking of a curse and this will resolve Zoro's entire backstory+goals.

He will obtain Enma and have a sword from the Kozuki clan, he also will have Wado Ichimonji(almost certainly from Ryuma's line and therefore not requiring another one) and lastly from his own line(Roronoa) and the curse that will be lifted in Wano. Whatever the Roronoa clan did and how it was cursed is besides the point. We know that you need to infuse your will into your sword to create black blades(according to Mihawk) but what is a curse but not an unfulfilled wish from the will of the user? When Zoro will break his family curse he will make a black blade and has finally achieved what his idol has done. He will have two black blades surpassing Mihawk and when Mihawk is defeated after Wano the last black blade will be created. The curse(miss me with your Wado Ichimonji isn't cursed because it wasn't stated) of Wado Ichimonji will be lifted and Zoro will have 3 black blades and Kuina's will itself achieves what their promised goal was.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
@Best Generation you should check out my theory xD
[automerge]1567276503[/automerge]
But I think blackening the Sword is only related to CoA.

Reactions: Rej

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
@Best Generation
You are right with the swords and I believe that Zoro more or less belongs to the big Shimotsuki clan that consisted of multiple families.
So you had Shimotsuki Kuina and Shimotsuki Zoro, two heirs Koshiro took care off because Zoros parents seemingly didn't make it.

Knowing that Ghandi Gorosei might have obtaine the Shodai Kitetsu, I most likely think that the World Government tried to chase some of the Wano refugees and thus some of the Wano refugees didn't make it.

I hope that Zoros past story, which he will find more about will lead him to fight Imu together with Luffy, to take the big act of revenge.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
@Best Generation you should check out my theory xD
[automerge]1567276503[/automerge]
But I think blackening the Sword is only related to CoA.
Yes, that's what I think as well.

I believe that's why he got Enma, it's actually not a black blade so he'll have to make it turn black himself by improving his CoA.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Koshiro: "A Sword that can cut anything is not a sword. A Sword that can cut nothing can cut anything."

Indeed i believe that a meito convertes into kokuto by the "Spirit of the samurai". The softness is the ultimate hardness and the samurai it's self must be prepared physically, mentally and espiritually to impregnate his soul to the katana, to deserved the blade.

Is my thought about, what do you think?

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Koshiro: "A Sword that can cut anything is not a sword. A Sword that can cut nothing can cut anything."

Indeed i believe that a meito convertes into kokuto by the "Spirit of the samurai". The softness is the ultimate hardness and the samurai it's self must be prepared physically, mentally and espiritually to impregnate his soul to the katana, to deserved the blade.

Is my thought about, what do you think?
That quote isn't related to the creation of black swords but explain how the Mighty Blade works. The ability to deflect/cut anything with the use of the white aura and the right timing. The creation of black blades is haki related but something is missing through that explanation except if you simply state "people like Shanks simply don't want one". That only two known people ever accomplished it shows that it goes beyond this take IMO.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
That quote isn't related to the creation of black swords but explain how the Mighty Blade works. The ability to deflect/cut anything with the use of the white aura and the right timing. The creation of black blades is haki related but something is missing through that explanation except if you simply state "people like Shanks simply don't want one". That only two known people ever accomplished it shows that it goes beyond this take IMO.
To me that quote could be related because haki and it's level shouldn't be the only condition to transform a meitou into a kokuto (Examples: Rayleigh and Shanks). A part of the spirit and soul of the samurai and the relation with his katana must be in the ecuation. When Ryuuma was talking about that Shusui proclamed Zoro as it's new owener, well something still missing and that is the relationship between Katana-Samurai i think.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
To me that quote could be related because haki and it's level shouldn't be the only condition to transform a meitou into a kokuto (Examples: Rayleigh and Shanks). A part of the spirit and soul of the samurai and the relation with his katana must be in the ecuation. When Ryuuma was talking about that Shusui proclamed Zoro as it's new owener, well something still missing and that is the relationship between Katana-Samurai i think.
Lifting a curse and going through hardship with your sword to accomplish the goal of the will that is infused within a sword is the same thing IMO.
[automerge]1567512594[/automerge]

[automerge]1567512618[/automerge]

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Lifting a curse and going through hardship with your sword to accomplish the goal of the will that is infused within a sword is the same thing IMO.
[automerge]1567512594[/automerge]

[automerge]1567512618[/automerge]
Maybe ia all related my friend in some way.
Let's wait and see!

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Enma (both I assume are black blades, Enma is the "king of the underworld" and therefore the name already hints to its true nature)
I doubt it is a black blade, because it wasn't hyped as one.

The curse(miss me with your Wado Ichimonji isn't cursed because it wasn't stated) of Wado Ichimonji
Wado Ichi Monji is definetly not curse. Zoro himself mentioned that Sandai Kitetsu is His only cursed sword back in Water 7

And Mihawk himself said every sword can be become a black blade

and I am sure not every weapon is cursed.

Would be strange if the Kitetsu Swords and Laws Swords are actually the only Swords who can be turned into Black Blades, because these are actually the only cursed blades.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I

Wado Ichi Monji is definetly not curse. Zoro himself mentioned that Sandai Kitetsu is His only cursed sword back in Water 7

Would be strange if the Kitetsu Swords and Laws Swords are actually the only Swords who can be turned into Black Blades, because these are actually the only cursed blades.
I've thought that there's 3 things on the table and all of them are different but related with the same instrument "the katana":

1. The Grade of a katana. (Maestry, honorability and who built it)
2. The Curse of a katana. (Negative context, bad feelings and unfortunate facts related to use)
3. The permanent state of Haki in a katana. (Black blade. Haki expertise, spirit and soul of the samurai and his determination or will imbued into)

Hope Oda tell us more about it soon because there's too much to know in the land of the samurai.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons

If every blade can become a black blade and every blade can become cursed you are not stating a difference. The point is, what is a curse? Is it an unfulfilled wish left by the haki infusion of the previous user? Sounds like the same thing one does when creating a black blade through the usage of haki where the "wishes" of the user are being fulfilled in their life time. It only happening twice before and both people(Mihawk, Ryuma) being clearly able to lift a curse like Zoro is already being tied by the author. Both story lines (Wano backstory and the lifting of the curse+creating black blades) are followed by Zoro and are connected.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
It only happening twice before and both people(Mihawk, Ryuma) being clearly able to lift a curse
It was never stated nor even hinted that their swords were cursed before blackened.
Is it an unfulfilled wish left by the haki infusion of the previous user?
Very unlikely that 3 swords got the same curse.

Thats why I say no to both "curses will be lifted by blackening" and "only cursed blades can be blackened".

We will definetly learn about the origins of the Kitetsu curse and maybe we get a few more infos about blackening(maybe a myth how Ryuma achieved it), but I am quite sure These things blackening and curses are unrelated.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Mihawks statement about a sword being nothing but a bar of iron took away a lot of the mystique around meito and swords in general. If it's some level of skill and Haki to make a sword black and presumably more powerful, then there's probably not a whole lot left to say. I'm not sure there will be any significance other than what would merely be superficial or sentimental regarding Zoros swords anymore.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Still think he will abandon Enma after this arc. That was not for zoro and he will certainly make it black by end of this arc.

He will likely take Nidai kitetsu , we might see why it pinged zoro's interest in coming ahead.

Nidai
Wado
Shisui (Most likely retain it back)

Sandai will likely break during the war.

Top Bottom