Characters and Groups Next Strawhat Nakama

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
There are a few official positions that are in the series that arent occupied in the SH crew

• 2nd Mate
Cabaji of Buggy's crew and Ideaman from the Kreig Pirates are two that come to mind immediately. They are 2nd in command after the Vice Captain, another name for this position is chief of Staff outside of pirate crews
  • Vice Captain
Some may argue that Zoro is the Vice Captain of the SH crew and i agree, but officially there is no one who has this position, but till Zoro is OFFICIALLY recognized in this position, it is vacant
  • Combatant Crewman
This is the position that Zoro currently occupies as the Fighter/Swordsman but if/once Zoro is officially the Vice Captain this position will be open, the only other person that we've seen to have this position is Killer from Kid's crew
  • Ship Guard
only been one crew that have had this and thats Captain Kuro's crew, the Nyaban Brothers, their main job is guarding the ship when docked or just in general
  • Cabin Boy/Apprentice
Shanks and Buggy on Roger's crew, Kaido on the Rocks and Marco in the Whitebeard crew
  • Assassin
Daz Bonez and Hyouzou on the fishman pirates, specialize in moving in and taking out specific targets
  • Advisor
the only person to have this position is Vito on Capone's crew and he gives advise to the captain when it seems it needed (think this is pretty much the vice captain's role or it only exists in crews where the captain doesnt value the crew's opinion)
  • Earner
Someone on the crew who sole job is to earn money or find jobs to make money for the crew (Ace invited Isuka to be an Earner as a bounty hunter in the Ace novel)

Honestly none of these positions are essential but this far in the series the new members are pretty much going join for story purposes or powerhouses to add to the battle strength so whoever joins after this arc might fall in one of these positions
Thanks for this!
I've always argued against Carrot with the look out position simply because the position title doesnt exists in one piece.

and I just became a member to throw in my support for Tama, she is def the next nakama (and maybe the last one unless vivis comback counts).

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Love that 😆
Tama's gonna decline though because she's not a great ninja yet.
thanks!

I think we are supposed to think that like that, and thats the reason she been under the radar and will continue to be until it finally becomes a reality.

a few plot threads that needs to be addressed regarding tama is;
- tama doesnt know about ace and luffy being brother
- luffy doesnt know about ace's promise to her and her wanting to join his crew
- her fruit power needs to come into play, considering all the build up it got and all characters saying how useful and amazing it is.
- the missing year in her time line, Tama just turned 8 years old, but she met Ace when she was 5, but that was 4 years ago, not 3. this was never corrected in the volume or in the anime so i believe its an intentional hint for there being more to it, similar to how Momo met roger but the fandom dismissed it.

theres also the possibility of her fruit number fitting into the number pattern.
i believe her power is the tsuku tsuku no mi, 2,9 2,9

and it is inspired by doraemon actually,
About the idea behind the “Devil Fruits” that appear in the series, Oda says he was influenced a lot as a kid by the series Doraemon and thus that most of his inspiration comes from his everyday life - Oda
桃の絵、そして上にひらがなで「きびだんご」と描かれた網袋に団子が数十個入っており、食べた動物は必ず与 えた人間になつく。人間を含む全ての動物に有効で、人間が食べた場合、懐かせたい相手に食べさせた場合のみ有効
A net bag with a picture of a peach and the word "Kibidango" written in hiragana above it contains dozens of dumplings, and every animal that eats them will become emotionally attached to the person who gave them to it. The dumplings are effective on all animals, including humans, and are only effective if a human eats them and they are fed to the person they want to attract.

and this was cleverly hinted in the sbs of 93 where Oda mentioned the tanuki teapot being emotionally attached to tama (and hitetsu)

as well as the pirate apprentice position being mentioned for the first time way back in volume 2, and then the connection between tama and ace being hinted at back in marineford.
as well as her being a straw hat weaver in a series which got two very important straw hats, and she is from the amigasa (straw hat) village, and wore Luffys strawhat... Im thinking the mat with the amigasa that met up with crocus could also maybe have a connection to tama.

so whats the point of Yamato then? I believe she is simply a red herring tbh :LOL:

but she needs a power up of some kind, yes, I dont know whether itll be her purposely not showing her capabilities yet, or if she will master more of her DF so she can get a physical power boost somehow or even some weird time jump trope although i prefer her to stay a kid.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Thanks for this!
I've always argued against Carrot with the look out position simply because the position title doesnt exists in one piece.

and I just became a member to throw in my support for Tama, she is def the next nakama (and maybe the last one unless vivis comback counts).
no problem

I come across a similar problem when talking with people about crew positions and how a lookout isnt a official position in the series and that no other crew has one
but then people bring up that neither is an Archaeologist, but the difference is that an Archaeologist is pivotal to finding the one piece

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
This is a thread to discuss and share wishes, speculations and theories about the next Strawhat Nakama.

Here I am going to list famous Strawhat pattern theories
Grandline Nakamas followed the famous MFMM pattern
M Zoro, Chopper
F Nami, Robin
M Usopp, Franky
M Sanji, Brook

Thats why many expect also the NW Nakamas will follow these patterns.
(This theory was actually Upgrades multiple times)
Currently there are 4 Devil Fruit user among the Strawhats. The names of their 4 Devil Fruits are actually combinations of 2 numbers.
  • Gomu - 5/6
  • Hito - 1/10
  • Hana - 2/7
  • Yomi - 4/3
Thats why many expect a Devil Fruit user will join, And that the Name His Devil Fruit is a combination of 8 and 9.
-> Yako Yako no Mi or Koya Koya no Mi
The Chinese Zodiac consist of 12 animals by adding the legend of the Legend there are actually 13. Right now there can be assigned one of these 13 animals to the Strawhats. Thats why many expect new Nakamas can be assigned to the remaining animals.
  1. Rat - ???
  2. Ox - Franky
  3. Tiger - Zoro
  4. Rabbit - ???
  5. Dragon - ???
  6. Snake - Usopp
  7. Horse - Brook
  8. Goat - Sanji
  9. Monkey - Luffy
  10. Rooster - Robin
  11. Dog - Chopper
  12. Pig - Jinbei
  13. Cat - Nami
AB Brook
CD Chopper
EF Franky
GH ???
IJ Jinbei
KL Luffy
MN Nami
OP ???
QR Robin
ST Sanji
UV Usopp
WX ???
YZ Zoro
If you know more Strawhat pattern theories feel free to tag me I will add them.
GH = Gaburu (a.k.a Caribou)
OP = Oden (a.k.a Yamato)
WX = X Drake

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
How were the Strawhats paired with what animal beyond the obvious like Jimbei and the Pig Zodiac?

I ask because it seems the better indicator. The Rabbit could be Carrot and the dragon Yamato/Momo. The rat one is weird though. Idk who that could be. Vivi seems to odd for her to be that animal.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
This is my Crew Prediction come the end of Wano or the next transition arc
I think Vivi will make her way to the crew following the events of the reverie and possibly Cobra's death and her being a wanted criminal
Momonosuke travels as the apprentice of the crew to follow in his father steps to learn what its like to travel the world to be a better Shogun for his people (like his father)

And Though imo there isnt much backing for her, i think and want yamato to come along (though i have seen scenarios that seem more interesting)

Even though my belief in Momo is start to fade i am still confidant that this is the finally crew

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I'm definitely onboard with Momo, but also foresee more than one new apprentice joining up, possibly three.

Momo
Tama
de-aged Yamato

That's not counting other potential stowaways like Carrot just tagging along for the ride. I expect that once Wano fully finishes, Luffy and Co. will have to have the same kind of conversation as Whitebeard and friends when the crew started getting too big.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I'm definitely onboard with Momo, but also foresee more than one new apprentice joining up, possibly three.

Momo
Tama
de-aged Yamato

That's not counting other potential stowaways like Carrot just tagging along for the ride. I expect that once Wano fully finishes, Luffy and Co. will have to have the same kind of conversation as Whitebeard and friends when the crew started getting too big.
De-aged Yamato?

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
There has been the question regarding as to why Oda had to create the reason of Yamato staying behind to help defend Wano when he could have easily created another character to do it, and the conclusion I've come to that makes the most sense to me is that Yamato is meant to be given greater purpose there before sailing out, most likely from Momo.

Thinking back, it seems to me that Yamato never bonded with Oden despite admiring him, and never shared a grander interest/dream with Ushimaru or Ace either, in a way Kuina and Zoro did or how Tom and Franky did. So Momo being there as someone Yamato can bond with enough to share a greater ambition from and being inspired enough by that to finally sail out, like figuring out what do with Pluton as Oden had intended after Wano's borders open, is what may help Yamato have more goals to strive towards alongside Luffy.

I mean think about it, the alternative to Yamato sailing out in Chapter 1057 would have amounted to someone living as a free Oden-wannabe partying with pirates whenever she wants with no relevance beyond that. I don't think that's really a compelling enough purpose that gives enough justification to leave, and I wouldn't be surprised if Oda thought the same. Although I'm not a big fan in how Oda went about with this, I can still understand why he had things play out this way, especially in light of Yamato still wanting to be a crewmate in Chapter 1059 and her turning out to be one of the few that knows Luffy's overall dream after Luffy mentioned he hadn't mentioned it to many people in Chapter 1060.

I dunno, when I think back to the past, it just makes sense to me why Yamato was paired up with Momo as often as she was.

Top Bottom