Chapter Discussion One Piece 991: Please Let Us Die!

Rate The Chapter

• Blew my mind!

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Great

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Meh

• Poor

• Awful

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
One Piece Chapter 991
Title: Please Let Us Die!

Support One Piece by subscribing to the new all access Shonen Jump released by VIZ or read the chapter for free on Monday on their website or phone app (if available in your region). For those who do not have access to VIZ can read the last 6 chapters on Shueisha's Manga Plus.
CHAPTER IS OUT ON
Readonepiece

ONE PIECE CHAPTER 991 QUICK SUMMARY
Coming Soon...

Please avoid posting one-word/one-liner comments such as "great chapter!" or "awesome, I'll read it later!" and ensure that you contribute to the discussion with your content!

Thanks for being a part of the TB community!​

Ranger

The Driven
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
this was hands down one of the greatest chapters of one piece EVER written..........

I- I'm just so amazed right now! :poggers: GODA!!!!!!!!!

first we get the shout out from Coby about how cool Luffy is explaining why Drake so easily trusts him and also shows us that Coby will really be the true hope of the Marines in terms of Justice

THEN my boi Zoro coming in to "talk" with X-Drake with his damn swords!!!!

Perfect characterization! Jimbe and Franky back up Zoro's words, though I'm a little surprised Oda decided to have Franky speak here and not chopper to make the parallel of when they joined.

we get a comical squabble between Luffy and his crew lmfao everyone is so much more stressed about it than Luffy xD. Guess I wouldn't be stressed if I were Luffy level though either :p

Sanji checking out Ulti to empathize with the fans :ROFLMAO:

but WE FREAKIN GET NAMI & USOPP VS PAGE ONE AND ULTI!?!??!?!?!?! LET'S FOOKIN GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pepeexcited::pepeexcited::pepeexcited:

It looks like Sanji is really gunning to get past King and Queen with Luffy and head to Kaido!!! :poggers::pepescared: good luck boi

Appoo finally comes back in! Yeeee and he is dropping some more characterization on the numbers finally confirming there are 10 just as it seemed! Though his bounty is kinda low it makes sense because he was just hiding under Kaido this whole time.

Hacha is looking a lot more badass this chapter than he did before so that's a + for me. Certainly was one of the worse numbers in the first showing. Franky vs Pseudo-Oarz will be pretty nice. Franky should be at a level where he can fight one of these guys imo

Then Zoro and Drake are both annoyed at Apoo at the same time lol. Still not too sure who will end up fighting him, but it seems like Drake wants too. And it looks like Queen might have just one shot DRAKE ZOMGWTF!?!?!? How over powered are his chemical weapons? We will have to see! Or maybe he had seastone bullets? :feelstrashman:

I don't really see Queen as an opponent for Zoro, but who knows. Drake vs Queen would be cool assuming he didn't just get infected. But then again Who's Who and Hawkins should be right up there with him too... yikes!

AND HOLY SHIT ARE NEKO AND INU SULUNG STRONG AF AND BAMFS!!!! Kaido actually freakin admits they are stronger than Jack and steps in to fight!?!?!?!?!??!?!? HOLY HEEEEL Kaido even tells Jack to go recover and then come back lol

Dude this is like Kaido vs 2 Admirals all the sudden... but then they also have a bunch of strong Samurai with them as well... Just how strong is Oda trying to portray this monster of an Emperor to be??? I honestly can see them giving Kaido some troubl-WHOA KINEMON DAMAGED KAIDO BY HIMSELF!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

This is going to be c r a z y ~~~~~ IS the pirate ninja samurai mink alliance actually strong enough to fight Kaido AND Big Mom!?!??!?!?!?!? At first I though NOOOO WAY! But now that I am seeing just how strong the Scabbards are being revealed to be!!! Dude it might be Scabbards vs Kaido and then the rest vs Big Mom 👀

9 Scabbards
- Inu (commander level+ in Sulong!)
- Neko (commander level+ in Sulong!)
- Ashura (around as strong as Jack)
- Denjiro (?? at least strong enough to contest Sasaki)
- Kawamatsu (portrayed quite strong like Ashura and Denjiro)
- Kinnemon (weak AF but all the sudden got a MASSIVE willpower powerup)
- Izo (?)
- Kiku (lesser commander level)
- Raizo (?)

Dude Kaido actually has a LOT to contest against here! Plus Kinnemon being able to negate his fire attacks! The acutally only way I can see Kaido winning here is if his Hybrid form is a sizable power up.... holy shit never thought I'd say it but he might actually go down this arc...

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Appoo finally comes back in! Yeeee and he is dropping some more characterization on the numbers finally confirming there are 10 just as it seemed! Though his bounty is kinda low it makes sense because he was just hiding under Kaido this whole time.

Hacha is looking a lot more badass this chapter than he did before so that's a + for me. Certainly was one of the worse numbers in the first showing. Franky vs Pseudo-Oarz will be pretty nice. Franky should be at a level where he can fight one of these guys imo

Then Zoro and Drake are both annoyed at Apoo at the same time lol. Still not too sure who will end up fighting him, but it seems like Drake wants too. And it looks like Queen might have just one shot DRAKE ZOMGWTF!?!?!? How over powered are his chemical weapons? We will have to see! Or maybe he had seastone bullets? :feelstrashman:
I jus really hope that Apoo gets a match up now, either Zoro/Drake or Brook bashing in and taking on Apoo. It would be beautiful. I don't expect Apoo to betray Kaido for now, he is a sneaky bastard and he is an obstacle. I atleast expect him to be knocked out by one of the three mentioned above. And yeah this chapter is really hype. :pepemusic:

Ranger

The Driven
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I jus really hope that Apoo gets a match up now, either Zoro/Drake or Brook bashing in and taking on Apoo. It would be beautiful. I don't expect Apoo to betray Kaido for now, he is a sneaky bastard and he is an obstacle. I atleast expect him to be knocked out by one of the three mentioned above. And yeah this chapter is really hype. :pepemusic:
I. would. LOVE. Brook. vs. Apoo. ! :love:

but it should be a music competition and not a fight LOL 🎹🎸

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Goodness me. This chapter is an ultimate hype with all the matchups starting! :poggers:

I'm pleasantly surprised that Sanji actually cheered on Usopp to protect Nami.
Normally he would do it himself. That's a very subtle sign of trust as well as proof of Usopp's development. Love it!

he had seastone bullets?
Definitely. Drake seemed to try to go hybrid but noticed he couldn't do it.

I jus really hope that Apoo gets a match up now, either Zoro/Drake or Brook bashing in and taking on Apoo.
Brook is a perfect match, considering he doesn't have any ears and both are musicians. But Kid should rightfully wipe the floor with Apoo.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
A lot to unpack this chapter but well worth the lengthy break! If Luffy's Observation haki development is in high order he will sense that Drake is sincere here, which explains why he is so chill about it compared to everyone else lol. Same thing happened to Luffy and Yamato a handful of chapters back.

Something worth noting in this chapter is that Apoo apparently has been given the duty within th Beast Pirates as a sort of ring leader or caretaker of the numbers. This is the second time we've seen individuals of the long arm tribe in such a position (the first was with Brook just prior to and during the timeskip). Makes me wonder if the long arm tribe tend to do well in such positions for yet unknown reasons?

It was also nice to see Kinemon's fire cutting reference waaaay back in Punk Hazard come back spectacularly in this chapter. :love:

Regarding the whole monster trio thing I'm just gonna sit back and see what Oda does. We might get some musical chairs in terms of what the characters demonstrate this arc. All 3 (Sanji, Zoro, Jimbei) could come out of this about equal or someone might pull ahead. I really don't have any specific preconceived notions. I just wanna sit back and watch the show go down. :blobcorn:

And finally, the only downside to this chapter is no Yamato!!! :madgirl:

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I would rather wait for official release than reading this Google translation. Chapter is awesome tho

Reactions: Rej
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Does anyone know where the Big Mom Pirates are? And where is Marco? From all of the characters in Wano i want to see Marco the most tbh.
Kaido finally realizing that his crew is being defeated one by one. Seems that he is not giving his best as of now. Once he becomes angry and goes all out, the scabbards will get their wish fullfilled

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Does anyone know where the Big Mom Pirates are? And where is Marco? From all of the characters in Wano i want to see Marco the most tbh.
Kaido finally realizing that his crew is being defeated one by one. Seems that he is not giving his best as of now. Once he becomes angry and goes all out, the scabbards will get their wish fullfilled
Last thing I remember was that the Big Mom Pirates were still at the base of the falls and Perospero and Marco had just gotten ashore. They should've met up with the main battle by now. Makes me wonder if someone very strong is holding them up? Rest of the Tobiroppo maybe?

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Everything happened in few minutes , so they still b there at entrances ! Possibly encountered with BM after Robins attack

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Oda loves to play with Numbers, for example in Levely Arc
We got 6 Chapters, in the first one we got "Fifth Yonko Luffy" & then "Four Revo Commanders" & then "Third Admiral Ryokugyu"
And then "Second Straw Hat" & then "Empty (One) Throne" & then "PX-0"
So basically Oda included a hidden Countdown in every Chapter which ended with conclusion of Levely Arc & return to Wano

The same thing is happening now, there is a Countdown for Chapter 1000
If we assume Chapter 1000 represents 00 then this means Chapter 990 = 10 & 991= 09 .......... 999 = 01

If this Theory is correct then we will have a Representative of each Number in the correspondent Chapter
990 = 10 & it Focused & coincidentally it ended with X-Drake & him offering to join Luffy's Side (Drake =10)
991 = 09 & it ended with Red Scabbards starting their battle against Kaido & declaring their Resolve in Unity (Scabbards =09)

So i expect that Chapter 992 will show us something that represents 8 & then 7 for Chapter 993 .... etc
So what are your thoughts guys about these Numbers?

I'm pretty sure 8 is represented by Orochi so i predict that Orochi will return Next Chapter or at least we get a tease about his Return
(PS: It's possible he lost a Head & became 7 Headed so maybe he appears in Chapter 993 instead to represent the No.7 but doubt it)

Who or what do you think represents the remaining Numbers? From 7 to 1
Chapter 994 which represents 6 could focus on Flying Six
Chapter 995 which represents 5 could focus on Hyogoro & Yakuza who are 5
Chapter 996 which represents 4 could maybe let us hear the word "Monster Four" for first time? lol
Chapter 997 which represents 3 could focus on Three Calamities or Three Supernova Captains
Chapter 998 which represents 2 could focus on Two Yonko (BM & Kaido)
What if we get a Flashback in Chapter 998 about Kaido & BM
Which continues to Chapter 999 that introduces us to Rocks D. Xebec who represent No.1 somehow
And then Chapter 1000 is the End of the Flashback where there is a Huge Reveal or Plot Twist
Or maybe Chapter 999 Simply focuses on Marco + Perospero (1st Division Captain & 1st Charlotte Son)

Last edited:

Ranger

The Driven
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
We got 6 Chapters, in the first one we got "Fifth Yonko Luffy" & then "Four Revo Commanders" & then "Third Admiral Ryokugyu"
So basically Oda included a hidden Countdown in every Chapter which ended with conclusion of Levely Arc & return to Wano

If we assume Chapter 1000 represents 00 then this means Chapter 990 = 10 & 991= 09 .......... 999 = 01

If this Theory is correct then we will have a Representative of each Number in the correspondent Chapter
990 = 10 & it Focused & coincidentally it ended with X-Drake & him offering to join Luffy's Side (Drake =10)
991 = 09 & it ended with Red Scabbards starting their battle against Kaido & declaring their Resolve in Unity (Scabbards =09)

So i expect that Chapter 992 will show us something that represents 8 & then 7 for Chapter 993 .... etc

I'm pretty sure 8 is represented by Orochi so i predict that Orochi will return Next Chapter or at least we get a tease about his Return
(PS: It's possible he lost a Head & became 7 Headed so maybe he appears in Chapter 993 instead to represent the No.7 but doubt it)

big brain Salah Eddine over here

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons

Chapter 994 which represents 6 could focus on Flying Six
Chapter 995 which represents 5 could focus on Hyogoro & Yakuza who are 5
Chapter 996 which represents 4 could maybe let us hear the word "Monster Four" for first time? lol
Chapter 997 which represents 3 could focus on Three Calamities or Three Supernova Captains
Chapter 998 which represents 2 could focus on Two Yonko (BM & Kaido)
What if we get a Flashback in Chapter 998 about Kaido & BM
Which continues to Chapter 999 that introduces us to Rocks D. Xebec who represent No.1 somehow
And then Chapter 1000 is the End of the Flashback where there is a Huge Reveal or Plot Twist
Or maybe Chapter 999 Simply focuses on Marco + Perospero (1st Division Captain & 1st Charlotte Son)
I like the concept but idk if Oda will go for it. He's done just enough of it in the past to make it possible but not enough to make it a certainty.

If we are talking about chapter 999 equating to 1 then I think it will either be in regards to the One Piece or Ace. The Ace in some card games can be treated as a One.

Reactions: Rej
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I like the concept but idk if Oda will go for it. He's done just enough of it in the past to make it possible but not enough to make it a certainty.

If we are talking about chapter 999 equating to 1 then I think it will either be in regards to the One Piece or Ace. The Ace in some card games can be treated as a One.
On One Piece Twitter Page (I think or maybe other Social Media), they are doing a Countdown to Chapter 1000
This Chapter they showed 9 & before it they showed 10 & they use SHs to portray that (From Jinbe till Luffy)

So the hype for that Chapter is real & it already matches, 990 we got X-Drake & 991 we got Scabbards
If next Chapter we get Orochi or other 8 Representative, then i believe the theory is confirmed

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
On One Piece Twitter Page (I think or maybe other Social Media), they are doing a Countdown to Chapter 1000
This Chapter they showed 9 & before it they showed 10 & they use SHs to portray that (From Jinbe till Luffy)

So the hype for that Chapter is real & it already matches, 990 we got X-Drake & 991 we got Scabbards
If next Chapter we get Orochi or other 8 Representative, then i believe the theory is confirmed
I wouldn't put it past Oda to hold the pattern until chapter 1000 and make it incredibly average only to make chapter 1001 amazing. That's just the kind of jokester he is. He could also equally follow through with it. Another thing to note is that there are so many number based puns going on right now that it would be easy to fall into confirmation bias on this.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Chapter 991:
-Pez is standing up, this cover story is saved!
-Confusion of Drake's allegiance as the undercover pirate thinks about how Koby characterises Luffy (rather accurately, I might add)
-Zoro has his doubts about Drake, they clash with swords
-Franky and Jinbe add their thoughts, but Luffy says it's fine
-Page One and Ulti are back in hopes to pose a threat... they end up chasing after Nami and Usopp
-Also, Usopp's antics here are funny, but it seems that he always goes back and forth in terms of his bravery. It's understandable, and it contrasts well with the consistent bravery of other characters, but as soon as I see this type of behaviour I'm just left waiting for the eventual moment where he stops running and steps up
-Luffy seeing Apoo's attack, given the way it was shown I'm guessing this was future sight
-Apoo's bounty hasn't changed since the scene with the Kid/Hawkins/Apoo alliance. Not surprising, but it does communicate that he hasn't really achieved all that much since then.
-Apoo is mad that three of the numbers were defeated so easily, attributes it to their being drunk
-Is Haccha sober or not? He thinks of General Franky as a toy and is chasing after him like an oversized child :ROFLMAO:
-Zoro and Drake continue to have their disagreements, until they are united by a common enemy: Apoo
-Before any fight can really start however, Queen fires some bullets that Drake is concerned about
-With those scars and a missing tusk, Jack is looking like Shanks
-Kaido will (no longer) stand back and watch? Also, he acknowledges the strength of Jack and the Dukes at the same time :blobcoolthink
-Sulong Dukes look great by the way
-A battlefield full of defeated beast pirates and mink tribe warriors
-Kaido charging up that Blast Breath, but Kin'emon has no desire to run away, cutting through it with his Flame Rend. Yep, there is no fire that the Foxfire cannot cut.
-The samurai are prepared to die, just as the chapter title did indeed imply

Okay, so it seems that with Page One and Ulti chasing Usopp and Nami, that we're beginning to see matchups being made. I think with the samurai saying they want to die here (and I'm pretty sure they've said similar things before) that their fight against Kaido may be their last. I like that at least Luffy was not wasting battle time and strength on distrust of a potential ally, but even so what happened makes sense character-wise. Foxfire cutting Blast Breath was the highlight of the chapter and that it did come from somewhere makes it much more impactful.

This was more or less my review of One Piece Chapter 991, thank you for reading if you chose to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom