Anime One Piece Anime Discussion

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I am an old-school anime fan and I guess I just can't get away with the old style of animation but still I felt that the older animation is more appealing to me as compared to what I have been seeing lately. The only re-animation I have loved so far is HxH 2011 version. It's clearly better than the old one.
Really? I've heard a lot of people say that 99 did a lot of things better than the 2011 version for the stuff it covered in its first 60 episodes...

I think there is a bit of nostalgia, but we haven't been in the old style since forever, and even arcs like Marineford are a stark departure(and I wouldn't say all that positive departure aesthetically) from arcs like Enies Lobby and Water 7.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Really? I've heard a lot of people say that 99 did a lot of things better than the 2011 version for the stuff it covered in its first 60 episodes...

I think there is a bit of nostalgia, but we haven't been in the old style since forever, and even arcs like Marineford are a stark departure(and I wouldn't say all that positive departure aesthetically) from arcs like Enies Lobby and Water 7.
99 it's a bit nostalgic for me... Maybe what they're referring is the little more violent aesthetics of the old one.. But 2011 does a cleaner version of the series...

Going back to OP, I really haven't sat on anime like I did pre-timeskip as I was still a bachelor when it was aired. Lol but kidding aside, As long as the anime stick to the manga and gives us interesting fillers, there's no harm in watchingit :)

Reactions: Rej
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
About episode 900, the episode was overall, pretty good.

Although the series director storyboarded this episode, this was actually someone's episode directorial debut, just generally, and they did a pretty solid job. The humour I felt was really well done, and they did a good job with making the episode visually interesting aesthetically, even in scenes that were more poorly paced(in the second half). The background art has also been a joy to look at generally thus far.

Animation wise, there was a surprisingly good amount of character acting animation in the episode that is a bit uncharacteristic of One Piece. The first half in particular had a lot of really nice stuff in that sense. The second half less so, although Yoichi Mitsui handled a nice bit of action, I really didn't care for some of the repeated angles they kept on cycling through with Zoro blocking the arrows, so I felt that dragged the episode down a bit.

Overall, still, a pretty damn solid episode.

Next episode looks interesting as well, with Masahiro Kitazaki(historically one of the stronger animation supervisors) making his debut as an animation supervisor on Wano, and Satoshi Ito taking the directorial reins again. Should be fun.

EDIT:Also, BTW, the animation supervisor for this episode, Kenji Yokoyama, has been an animation supervisor on One Piece since episode 2. Its nice to see someone who has stuck with the show basically since its beginning handling land mark episodes like this along side some "fresh blood".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
One Piece Staff:
902 Tokoro/Kitazaki
903 SB Nakashima ED Suzuki AD ItoS
904 Hosoda/Takagi
905 Shimaya/Shimanuki from @YonkouProductions

Also from Tu (an animator for One Piece) he said that the anime team for One Piece is getting bigger. That should be welcome, hopefully we get some more action animators.

Two errors in the magazine. Unsure whether Kitazaki will be doing two episodes in a row, and Shimaya going from a director to doing both direction and storyboarding may not be completely true.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
A summary of the great work Toei has been doing ultimately in the anime of One Piece.

- Animation: Improved
- Art Style: Beatiful
- Fighting: Fluid
- Colors and ambientation: Wonderful
- Music soundtrack: Lovely
- Pacing: NO.

Ok understand that manga is so closed but. Please don't do "the arrows never ending story" of the last chapter again.

Anyway, thanks Toei for the improvements.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
A summary of the great work Toei has been doing ultimately in the anime of One Piece.

- Animation: Improved
- Art Style: Beatiful
- Fighting: Fluid
- Colors and ambientation: Wonderful
- Music soundtrack: Lovely
- Pacing: NO.

Ok understand that manga is so closed but. Please don't do "the arrows never ending story" of the last chapter again.

Anyway, thanks Toei for the improvements.
Tatsuya Nagamine is the man to thank(new series director).

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I liked that episode.

I'm not sure if it was just me, but I liked how the anime went for a generally more uncomfortable approach to portraying Holdem. I generally, really liked the atmosphere throughout this episode, specifically in that scene. The lighting choices, board and music placement I felt were all generally well put together this episode. In saying that, I think somethings definitely could have been better placed, but overall, despite hardly any interesting content being covered, I felt the anime staff did an admirable enough job with what they given here.

Animation wise, former character designer Kazuya Hisada was the animation supervisor, and top listed Key animator, with his animation being found across the episode. Overall, solid stuff from him, with the obvious highlight being Luffy attacking Batman(which although is a controversial scene), had nice effects and showcased Hisada's classic snappiness.

Overall, pretty solid, if uneventful episode, looking forward to the next few upcoming episodes more, partially because of staff, and partially on the pre-text that more eventful things are coming up.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
The only thing I disliked in the latest episode (901) was that luffy fucking didnt use gear 2nd to catch upto that running bitch

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I like the episode mainly Holdems intro and Okiku. The only thing that I disliked was that bat man was portrayed strong, really? Lol

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I took a break from watching the anime right before wano started so I could watch it all at once act by act but it's hard af with this pacing -_-

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Some good shit this episode. Zoro and Luffy laying the smackdown on random sumo was very satisfying and well animated, and I think they executed the palm thrust pretty solidly.

Next episode looks good as well.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I don't know what to think guys... I always defended One Piece as anime when others said the pace was too slow... But the last 2-3 episodes felt like there was 3 minutes of content packed in flashy animations..
I hope it's just there for the time being, but it really makes me feel sad.
Maybe I'm too hasty, because I reread the manga thrice?:catcry::pepehands:

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I don't know what to think guys... I always defended One Piece as anime when others said the pace was too slow... But the last 2-3 episodes felt like there was 3 minutes of content packed in flashy animations..
This pace isn't that different from what we've been getting for the entirety of WCI and before at least till the time skip(and marineford)...

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
This pace isn't that different from what we've been getting for the entirety of WCI and before at least till the time skip(and marineford)...
Idk. Perhaps I need to compare it again xD

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Literally feel the exact same way. I keep rereading wano and I'm like damn the anime is only up to THIS :pepehands: :pepehammer::pepeban:

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
So Hisoka ia going to be Queens voice actor. Are they having a HxH voice actor reunion for Wano?
I liked the episode by the way, Okiku is cool.

Top Bottom