News One Piece Live Action

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
same, I haven't seen anyone (youtuber) talking about it yet, so I am plain dumb about this topic xD
because there hasn't been much information about it yet to talk about. Just speculations or simple facts that aren't worth a video. I am following a few accounts on twitter to check regularly (almost every day) for news. When the filming starts and we get way more input, youtubers might say a word here or there too.

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
because there hasn't been much information about it yet to talk about. Just speculations or simple facts that aren't worth a video. I am following a few accounts on twitter to check regularly (almost every day) for news. When the filming starts and we get way more input, youtubers might say a word here or there too.
I see, are you excited for the live action? I sadly expected myself to be more hyped about it, but let's see maybe it will come^^

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I see, are you excited for the live action? I sadly expected myself to be more hyped about it, but let's see maybe it will come^^
I've been hyped for months now, since the news for it kept increasing! I have high hopes for it and I know a lot of people don't because it might end up looking like trash. But we have yet to see what's to come.

I mean, you don't have to be excited about it. Just if you are interested, check it out once it's available on Netflix (next year) and judge yourself haha

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I've been hyped for months now, since the news for it kept increasing! I have high hopes for it and I know a lot of people don't because it might end up looking like trash. But we have yet to see what's to come.

I mean, you don't have to be excited about it. Just if you are interested, check it out once it's available on Netflix (next year) and judge yourself haha
I for sure won't miss out on that^^ that's why I pay monthly for Netflix so I can wait months to come for One Piece :catakainu:

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
From a recent interview, Marty Adelstein, one of the producers of the OP live action series, mentioned that One Piece will be going into production soon.

Which is implying that their filming date got delayed due to Covid-19 after all, as the original date was August 31 (monday of last week).

About the theories of Cole Sprouse possibly playing Sanji, there is this twitter post from the original OP Netfliy acc:

It was also mentioned he's supposed to film Riverdale in Vancouver soon. So there's doubt if he'll play Sanji.

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
From a recent interview, Marty Adelstein, one of the producers of the OP live action series, mentioned that One Piece will be going into production soon.

Which is implying that their filming date got delayed due to Covid-19 after all, as the original date was August 31 (monday of last week).

About the theories of Cole Sprouse possibly playing Sanji, there is this twitter post from the original OP Netfliy acc:

It was also mentioned he's supposed to film Riverdale in Vancouver soon. So there's doubt if he'll play Sanji.
He doesnt have the whirly eye brows. :pepehmm:

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
The Writer of the One Piece Live Action participated in Roger's Base Reverie :dogkek: hot new promises and informations about Oda

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
From Matt (Writer of the One Piece Live Action):
- He met Oda several times
- Oda is sceptic and needs some time to open up, especially when co-working with him
- The OPLA is not finished casting
- The most problematic issue to transform into LA is the humor
- They won't cut out on bloody or dramatic scenes

I missed out on some stuff, but I bet someone will make a summary/recap.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
From Matt (Writer of the One Piece Live Action):
- He met Oda several times
- Oda is sceptic and needs some time to open up, especially when co-working with him
- The OPLA is not finished casting
- The most problematic issue to transform into LA is the humor
- They won't cut out on bloody or dramatic scenes

I missed out on some stuff, but I bet someone will make a summary/recap.

Woah you were faster than me but it was to be expected if you watch Youtubers regularly xd

Here's the link for everyone, Matt Owens is being introduced to the stream at around 54min.

When I checked twitter this morning, EVERYONE was talking about it and how hyped they are now.

I listened into the stream for a couple minutes only but so far Matt Owens sounds like a really amazing guy. He's been a fan of One Piece for about ten years, and it helped him in his life a lot. He also mentioned that he watches many OP youtubers that were present on the stream! (Not to forget that he is also a patron to Arturs Library of Ohara for a long while already!)

More info as I am now listening to the whole thing (some may overlap with what @Rej said)

- Upon meeting Oda, he said Oda is very wary at first but after loosening up to the conversation he can be very funny.
- Humor/comedy will be difficult to convert to live action. Some of it is very eastern or childish. But there will be humor.
- There‘s three key points in One Piece: it makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you go „holy shit“ (that’s what he said lol). And that’s what they try to keep in mind.
- He agrees that there’s trust issues about manga/anime live action adaptations. And he wants to try his best as a fan as well to make it a good live adaptation.
- Second issue they had in the beginning was about the knowledge they had about the series and implementing information that was only revealed later on. Especially because East Blue is very different and feels „static“ and they wanted to connect the East Blue to the rest of the story with more information.
- They asked him due to that if they will skip Gaimon and he said „he cannot confirm or deny it“ with a laugh.
- He gave hints that Season 1 might end with Arlong Park as he said the place at where the season ends, they will stay longer. (Arlong Park is the longest arc in East Blue IIRC). I wouldn’t mind tho if they extended Loguetown lol.
- He‘s being asked about the leaked script but he couldn’t say anything about it.
- Covid-19 made them fall behind schedule so they couldn’t start filming/building anything yet. But they took the time to do more background work.
- Casting isn’t finished (or hasn’t even started yet).
- They had to lay out their plans to Oda for him to give approval for the scripts etc. He and his team are deeply involved.
- If they want to make any changes, they have to talk to Oda about it but they always go back to the source material. Netflix knows how valuable and successful One Piece is in its original format so it won‘t do any „okay nice concept, I will do my own thing of it.“
- The maturity rating will be TV-14.
- Making things look good such as Luffys stretching powers is a big concern of theirs and they aren‘t too sure of what it will be like, but they plan to find a solution to make it as cool as possible.
- Matt Owens loves the Davy Back Fight a lot because of the amount of crew shenanigans. His favorite arc is Enies Lobby and he really wants to get there (what a surprise lol). His favorite character is Law bc of the tragedy he encountered, his powers and the changes he undergoes while being with the Strawhats. He also hates the idea of Law having a death flag on him but he kinda sees it coming.
- He likes every Strawhat BUT he likes Sanji more than Zoro lol, they went wild about that xD
- They asked him about implementing a lollipop easter egg (bc Sanji 4kids version) and now he really wants to add it xD
- He really wants to know more about Vegapunk.
- He likes Robin more than Nami. He‘s also got figurines, most of them are Nami though.
- About Shanks and Mihawk it got confusing. But shortly after he left.

That‘s all relevant stuff.

Last edited:

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Woah you were faster than me but it was to be expected if you watch Youtubers regularly xd

Here's the link for everyone, Matt Owens is being introduced to the stream at around 54min.

When I checked twitter this morning, EVERYONE was talking about it and how hyped they are now.

I listened into the stream for a couple minutes only but so far Matt Owens sounds like a really amazing guy. He's been a fan of One Piece for about ten years, and it helped him in his life a lot. He also mentioned that he watches many OP youtubers that were present on the stream! (Not to forget that he is also a patron to Arturs Library of Ohara for a long while already!)

More info as I am now listening to the whole thing (some may overlap with what @Rej said)

- Upon meeting Oda, he said Oda is very wary at first but after loosening up to the conversation he can be very funny.
- Humor/comedy will be difficult to convert to live action. Some of it is very eastern or childish. But there will be humor.
- There‘s three key points in One Piece: it makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you go „holy shit“ (that’s what he said lol). And that’s what they try to keep in mind.
- He agrees that there’s trust issues about manga/anime live action adaptations. And he wants to try his best as a fan as well to make it a good live adaptation.
- Second issue they had in the beginning was about the knowledge they had about the series and implementing information that was only revealed later on. Especially because East Blue is very different and feels „static“ and they wanted to connect the East Blue to the rest of the story with more information.
- They asked him due to that if they will skip Gaimon and he said „he cannot confirm or deny it“ with a laugh.
- He gave hints that Season 1 might end with Arlong Park as he said the place at where the season ends, they will stay longer. (Arlong Park is the longest arc in East Blue IIRC). I wouldn’t mind tho if they extended Loguetown lol.
- He‘s being asked about the leaked script but he couldn’t say anything about it.
- Covid-19 made them fall behind schedule so they couldn’t start filming/building anything yet. But they took the time to do more background work.
- They had to lay out their plans to Oda for him to give approval for the scripts etc. He and his team are deeply involved.
- If they want to make any changes, they have to talk to Oda about it but they always go back to the source material. Netflix knows how valuable and successful One Piece is in its original format so it won‘t do any „okay nice concept, I will do my own thing of it.“
- Making things look good such as Luffys stretching powers is a big concern of theirs and they aren‘t too sure of what it will be like, but they plan to find a solution to make it as cool as possible.
- Matt Owens loves the Davy Back Fight a lot because of the amount of crew shenanigans. His favorite arc is Enies Lobby and he really wants to get there (what a surprise lol). His favorite character is Law bc of the tragedy he encountered, his powers and the changes he undergoes while being with the Strawhats. He also hates the idea of Law having a death flag on him but he kinda sees it coming.
- He likes every Strawhat BUT he likes Sanji more than Zoro lol, they went wild about that xD
- They asked him about implementing a lollipop easter egg (bc Sanji 4kids version) and now he really wants to add it xD
- He likes Robin more than Nami. He‘s also got figurines, most of them are Nami though.

Well done! Thanks for this summary! :catpartner:

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons

Thank you very much for the summary. Some nice information. I still dont expect much but this makes one hope that the live adaption isnt completely shit

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Thank you very much for the summary. Some nice information. I still dont expect much but this makes one hope that the live adaption isnt completely shit
I listened to the video for the full talk when Matt Owens was there. He is a fan for years and they discussed some theories and stuff with him and all. He legit sounded like a true fan with a lot of knowledge of the story. The involvement with Oda also sounds very good, the maturity rating fits, and I have a lot of trust into this. The only thing missing is ofc how will the effects be, how will it look like in the end? That's the mystery, for both fans and the production team.

I am a bit disappointed about the casting news though. But it now makes sense that they didn't lose a word about it and asked for fan casts. Because it's still not done yet. They wanted to start with it June 1, now it's end of september. They wanted to start filming August 31. But now? It will be pushed back to probably November? December? Next year? Who knows.

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
The recent Reverie stream was great and I have a lot more confidence in the writing side of this show now that I've had a chance to hear how passionate the writers are and their working relationship with Oda. The visuals are still a concern, but it seems that they are giving it thought, so hopefully they can find a way to translate the zany powers of One Piece into a live-action setting.

Beky

Nancy <3
Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
I aint saying i will drop it if this happens
But i'll drop it

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Wow, surprising no discussion has happened here even with all the new trailers and promos. Well perhaps it might be better to create a new thread for the Live Action, that starts from a point of knowing more. Would it be better to create a thread in One Piece (marked as General) or a thread in Movies & TV (marked as TV show)?

Reactions: Rej

Rej

Reaction score
Salty Doubloons
Wow, surprising no discussion has happened here even with all the new trailers and promos. Well perhaps it might be better to create a new thread for the Live Action, that starts from a point of knowing more. Would it be better to create a thread in One Piece (marked as General) or a thread in Movies & TV (marked as TV show)?
Heya Roogy, if you want you can open the thread with the title "One Piece Live Action Discussion" in the One Piece section. I will then pin it, I guess the discussion will pop off once it airs. I hope^^

Top Bottom