General RP General Chat

Messages
1,426
Reaction score
3,088
Points
5,200
Salty Doubloons
1,694
You used to have to defeat Buggy to get a crafting recipe for Buggy balls, so i think the Muggy balls that gunslingers use are also self crafted.
And if using a weapon were a reason for something to be a martial art, then Navigators using a clima tact would also not be mind stat users.

Gunslinging starts at 0 Mastery. Literally everyone can use a basic or science made gun (but not something made by a scientist? The wording is a bit confusing), so any character can use a gun for flavour if they so please, like Doffy killing Rocinante or shooting Law, even though he doesn't usually use guns in his fighting style when serious.
When Nami first used her climate tact in the manga, it was a science weapon that got given to her by Usopp without her even knowing what it did. But as her mastery grew over the series, her attacks got more devastating and her arsenal got upgraded. She has a natural affinity for using the clima tacts abilities to affect the local weather, while gunslingers have an affinity to aim well and far under pressure.

It takes a certain mental fortitude to actually hit a foe jumping around at the speed of light, so you'll need to be able to predict where they will be, and how your bullet's speed factors into this. This prediction then results in the attack speed of your gun -that has a muzzle velocity near the speed of sound- matching up to the reaction speed of Mr. Lightspeed if your mastery is high enough.
The one physical effort you need to do for gunslinging is whipping your gun around fast enough to catch these speedsters, and reaction speed used to be the one thing that you got from the mind stat before the change.

To reiterate, I'm not saying that it should just be moved into Mind alltogether, just that it should be allowed to be moved there (with a perk).
Hmm, I don't agree with it being moved to mind. I'm not sure if I am wording it properly, I think it's just fine as a WS. In instances there are aspects of gun that can be made by the user but I don't think gunslinging would usually cover that.

Let's look at Carpentry, since carpenters are allowed to use their tools to deal damage without an MA. The key difference between gunslinging and carpentry is the nature of skills. Both can be used offensively in this RP because of how One Piece tends to function but only gunslinging is a weapon art, if you get what I mean.

Botany, Carpentry, Science and Gunslinging can all be used as offensive stats but only 1 of them revolve around a weapon.

So I feel as though having gunslinging being moved under the mindstat, especially IRP would be giving out an extra MA/WS. Already with 100 mastery in the MA main stat you can use your perk to get an innate martial art unique to your race. So by technicality with 1 perk used and 100 stat points invested, you can get 3 MAs. Now Imagine moving an extra MA/WS to mind using a perk for 100 stat points in that main stat, and so now you have 2 supplementary substats and another free MA/WS, that's a bit broken.

Even though IRP anyone can use a gun. It's the same as, everyone in the RP can throw a D-rank punch even without an MA it's just not as refined as a martial art. The deciding factor here is the focus of the skill, where botany revolves around nurturing plants and growing and catering for new flora-genus, Science is the study of matter and allows for inventions, navigation allows you to control the weather (hacks btw) whereas Gunslinging allows you to specialize in guns, with increased range, bullet arsenal and potential.

Navigation just grazes the line as a Weapon Style just like Gunslinging would graze the line as a mind skill however, Navigation is not always set on a clima-tact. I'm pretty sure I could also use special gauntlets or anything of my choice. Whereas gunslinging focuses on shooting, there is a lot of science behind shooting a good but shooting a gun isn't a science itself since anyone can pull the trigger.
 
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
8,405
Points
10,050
Salty Doubloons
2,789
Hmm, I don't agree with it being moved to mind. I'm not sure if I am wording it properly, I think it's just fine as a WS. In instances there are aspects of gun that can be made by the user but I don't think gunslinging would usually cover that.

Let's look at Carpentry, since carpenters are allowed to use their tools to deal damage without an MA. The key difference between gunslinging and carpentry is the nature of skills. Both can be used offensively in this RP because of how One Piece tends to function but only gunslinging is a weapon art, if you get what I mean.

Botany, Carpentry, Science and Gunslinging can all be used as offensive stats but only 1 of them revolve around a weapon.

So I feel as though having gunslinging being moved under the mindstat, especially IRP would be giving out an extra MA/WS. Already with 100 mastery in the MA main stat you can use your perk to get an innate martial art unique to your race. So by technicality with 1 perk used and 100 stat points invested, you can get 3 MAs. Now Imagine moving an extra MA/WS to mind using a perk for 100 stat points in that main stat, and so now you have 2 supplementary substats and another free MA/WS, that's a bit broken.

Even though IRP anyone can use a gun. It's the same as, everyone in the RP can throw a D-rank punch even without an MA it's just not as refined as a martial art. The deciding factor here is the focus of the skill, where botany revolves around nurturing plants and growing and catering for new flora-genus, Science is the study of matter and allows for inventions, navigation allows you to control the weather (hacks btw) whereas Gunslinging allows you to specialize in guns, with increased range, bullet arsenal and potential.

Navigation just grazes the line as a Weapon Style just like Gunslinging would graze the line as a mind skill however, Navigation is not always set on a clima-tact. I'm pretty sure I could also use special gauntlets or anything of my choice. Whereas gunslinging focuses on shooting, there is a lot of science behind shooting a good but shooting a gun isn't a science itself since anyone can pull the trigger.
(What does IRP mean?)
, there is a lot of science behind shooting a good but shooting a gun isn't a science itself since anyone can pull the trigger.
And that science/skill is the difference between 100 gunslinging and 0 gunslinging.




You're not getting an extra free MA. You still need to pay the stat points for it, just in Mind instead of the MA main stat. So it would be

Mind: 100
--Botany 100
--Gunslinging 100 (Perked)
Martial Art 69
--Brawling 69
--Sword 69

And you can also go into the expertise stat if you want more than 2 Martial arts.

The exact mechanics of which stat needs the perk can be discussed. And if a loophole is found it can be closed. I'd also be open to it needing two Perks. One for Mind to allow Gunslinging, and then another perk for it to cross over. Compared to the perks that give you a free Martial Art or Mind stat, it's really not that impactful.

Gunslinging is the closest MA we have to being a Mind stat.
Just look at Usopp sniping Sugar from across Dressrosa and tell me that feat of rocket physics doesn't belong in Mind.
 
Messages
1,426
Reaction score
3,088
Points
5,200
Salty Doubloons
1,694
(What does IRP mean?)
In roleplay

You're not getting an extra free MA. You still need to pay the stat points for it, just in Mind instead of the MA main stat. So it would be

Mind: 100
--Botany 100
--Gunslinging 100 (Perked)
Martial Art 69
--Brawling 69
--Sword 69
I think that's an unnecessary use of a perk, using the 100 MA perk as an example, it gives you an extra sub-stat preset with 100 points. If perks can allow that to happen, why would you need to perk and expend an actual sub-stat with points just to use an WS?

And you can also go into the expertise stat if you want more than 2 Martial arts.
That is true but the same can be done for Gunslinging, it's just that using your same example, you wouldn't get the mind stat boosts out of having the WS there.

Gunslinging is the closest MA we have to being a Mind stat.
Just look at Usopp sniping Sugar from across Dressrosa and tell me that feat of rocket physics doesn't belong in Mind
That's a very shaky example because the reason Usopp sniped Sugar from across Dressrosa was because he used observation Haki to pin point her location amidst trying to do it.

The knowledge applied to gunslinging has a lot of science in it but it doesn't go too indepth.

You wouldn't call yourself a mathematician because you mastered Vectors, Geometry and Bearings, additionally, I don't think you'd be a great physicist if you've only learned the elements of velocity and the affects of gravity on an object. You'd be smart yes but the topics aren't studied too indepth to require it to fall under an application of science.

But what you're saying, is very creative however that might have a loop hole since Swordsmanship can apply some extreme technical knowledge much like gunslinging. Wouldn't that also qualify it for being a Mind Sub-stat?
 
Last edited:
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
8,405
Points
10,050
Salty Doubloons
2,789
think that's an unnecessary use of a perk, using the 100 MA perk as an example, it gives you an extra sub-stat preset with 100 points. If perks can allow that to happen, why would you need to perk and expend an actual sub-stat with points just to use an WS?
But those free MAs cannot have custom techniques, so if you want to use a science gun for example, you couldn't do it without it being custom, so I'd rather spend the points and perks.
That is true but the same can be done for Gunslinging, it's just that using your same example, you wouldn't get the mind stat boosts out of having the WS there.
Yes, I'd rather get the mind boosts (and the profession starts!!! 🤩 Those are important!). That's what the perks are for, so that I can order gun-slinging into my stats as if it had been the mind stat I think it could always have been.

You wouldn't call yourself a mathematician because you mastered Vectors, Geometry and Bearings, additionally, I don't think you'd be a great physicist if you've only learned the elements of velocity and the affects of gravity on an object. You'd be smart yes but the topics aren't studied too indepth to require it to fall under an application of science
Mind is not the science stat. Tell me how musicians are great physicists. It's about mental ability.
 
Last edited:
Messages
1,426
Reaction score
3,088
Points
5,200
Salty Doubloons
1,694
Mind is not the science stat. Tell me how musicians are great physicists. It's about mental ability.
My bad, I think I used the analogy poorly; I didn't properly explain my reply. I think Gunslinging would belong in the same category as Ittoryu under weapon styles because of how indepth the go into the weapon offensively. There isn't only offensive knowledge when it comes to guns, you will learn the fundamentals and will be able to apply them to many situations but primarily gunslinging would cover the mastery of how to shoot a firearm.

And he did it by building a three stage rocket out of leaves and gunpowder.
That's much less of gunslinging and more so Usopp being an actual genius.

Let's take, Izou from the whitebeard pirates. I don't think he would have done anything similar to Usopp in that situation, I actually think he would have repositioned himself to get a cleaner shot. Use Haki then shoot.
 

Ziosa

Salutations
Messages
7,097
Reaction score
24,630
Points
22,700
Salty Doubloons
10,737
i just checked the devil fruit stuff in the skills and abilities thread and found some Paramecia that haven't been added for 6 years (or got lost when it was last updated about 2 years ago lol)
 
Top Bottom